SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

On 7/26/2016 at 2:58 PM, homer said:

Not sure there is a right way to do it but when you trade 5 draft picks to move up in the draft most fans expectations are the guy is game ready.    

How does the team around him get better when you sacrificed two years worth of drafts? 

You dont take your future and throw him to the wolves until you can give him the supporting cast. Plus they have millions tied up in Bradford.

I like the fact they are going to try and age the kid a little.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bison73 said:

You dont take your future and throw him to the wolves until you can give him the supporting cast. Plus they have millions tied up in Bradford.

I like the fact they are going to try and age the kid a little.

I don't disagree but it's the NFL, the fans don't allow much time for "aging".  

Taking time and developing a rookie QB has worked out once and it was because Green Bay had Favre as a starter.  All other years the guy you traded the farm for is starting by mid season.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, homer said:

I don't disagree but it's the NFL, the fans don't allow much time for "aging".  

Taking time and developing a rookie QB has worked out once and it was because Green Bay had Favre as a starter.  All other years the guy you traded the farm for is starting by mid season.  

And Aaron Rodgers was drafted at #24, not #2.

I think this more than validates the fact that Wentz was more like a top 25 talent in this draft, not top 3.

But a couple teams fell in love with him and he plays QB, which is all it takes now days.

I think he will still be fine in the long term and I wish the kid the best.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I think this more than validates the fact that Wentz was more like a top 25 talent in this draft, not top 3.

But a couple teams fell in love with him and he plays QB, which is all it takes now days.

Couldn't really ask for a better scenario if you are Wentz.  Get two years learning the system without the pressure to instantly succeed.  Especially considering he is playing in front of a fanbase that has the NFL's most unrealistic expectations!!  (Getting 2nd overall pick money and being the backup is not a bad perk too!  Although Wentz is most likely not concerned about the money but about succeeding on the field).

The Eagles resigned Bradford to a 2 year deal before they knew they would be in a position to trade up for Wentz. If he has a good year they can recoup some of what they used to trade up for him, but I'm sure if Bradford & the Eagles struggle, he'll be given an opportunity this year to show what he's got.

36 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Couldn't really ask for a better scenario if you are Wentz.  Get two years learning the system without the pressure to instantly succeed.  Especially considering he is playing in front of a fanbase that has the NFL's most unrealistic expectations!!  (Getting 2nd overall pick money and being the backup is not a bad perk too!  Although Wentz is most likely not concerned about the money but about succeeding on the field).

It's really not an ideal situation because fans expect the #2 pick in the draft to be ready to play now, especially when the farm is traded for him.  

If Bradford struggles there is not a fan that will say "it's ok, in two years we will be really good."  They just stop showing up for games, call into radio shows and blast away on message boards.  

9 minutes ago, homer said:

It's really not an ideal situation because fans expect the #2 pick in the draft to be ready to play now, especially when the farm is traded for him.  

If Bradford struggles there is not a fan that will say "it's ok, in two years we will be really good."  They just stop showing up for games, call into radio shows and blast away on message boards.  

That's just not true.  There are thousands of fans willing to still pay tickets for a team that has made the playoffs once since 2011.

9 minutes ago, southpaw said:

That's just not true.  There are thousands of fans willing to still pay tickets for a team that has made the playoffs once since 2011.

Game viewing options are making it easier to watch any game from anyplace now.  

Total costs for attending NFL games are higher than ever.  The price people will pay to attend a game lower along with expectations.  

1 minute ago, homer said:

Game viewing options are making it easier to watch any game from anyplace now.  

Total costs for attending NFL games are higher than ever.  The price people will pay to attend a game lower along with expectations.  

But you're talking about two years.  A decade, probably but two years?  Definitely not.

3 minutes ago, southpaw said:

But you're talking about two years.  A decade, probably but two years?  Definitely not.

And all high draft picks are gone for those two years.  Hard to improve   

We will see how it shakes out.  If Bradford plays well it is fine.  If he struggles the calls for Wentz will get pretty loud.  

2 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Call this a being a Wentz apologist if you must, but I don't believe, based on the reports coming out of Philly, that Wentz not being named the starter has as much to do with his play vs. Bradford's as it does the contract situation. As was said above, Bradford just signed a huge deal. Philly is on record as saying this is Wentz's team moving forward, but they can't afford to invest the amount they currently have allocated to the QB position. So, strategically, they need Bradford to perform this year to show the rest of the NFL that he is a valuable asset and trade him in the offseason or midseason. 

In the "Be Careful What You Wish For" Category:
Apparently those "big" contracts NDSU signed with RFM and KVLY are going to come with stipulations that will cost them coverage from WDAY/Forum Communications, limiting some things had previously been done. Some of it is open to interpretation and maybe they will make some allowances but here's a couple interesting parts of it. The last two would effectively kill Kolpack and Izzo's radio show and live blog of the games on the Bison Media Blog.

A live remote promoting a third party may not be done from any Events or Facilities without a prior written agreement from NDSU.

Television stations without current broadcast rights agreements are permitted to report live from football and basketball games inside the Facility until 30 minutes before the television rights holder’s scheduled air time and again following the conclusion of the broadcast. Reports may be for television and Internet but shall be less than 10 minutes in duration.

Radio stations without current broadcast rights agreements shall not originate programming from NDSU facilities or grounds, including the Fargodome and its parking lots, on the day of an NDSU football or basketball game. This includes all pregame and postgame coverage

Blogs and social media posts are permitted during any Event, provided such posts do not produce a real-time description of the Event (i.e., any simulation or display of any kind that replicates or constitutes play-by-play of a material portion of an Event). Periodic updates of scores, statistics, or other brief descriptions of the Event are permitted. If NDSU deems the Bearer is producing a real-time description of the Event, NDSU reserves all actions against the Bearer including, but not limited to, revocation of the credential.

33 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

In the "Be Careful What You Wish For" Category:
Apparently those "big" contracts NDSU signed with RFM and KVLY are going to come with stipulations that will cost them coverage from WDAY/Forum Communications, limiting some things had previously been done. Some of it is open to interpretation and maybe they will make some allowances but here's a couple interesting parts of it. The last two would effectively kill Kolpack and Izzo's radio show and live blog of the games on the Bison Media Blog.

NDSU must be getting paid a ton of money to restrict their exposure so much. I'm curious how big the contract is.  

Dumb move to block two of your biggest fanboys in the media. 

Only the third one seems abnormally restrictive to me (Radio stations without current broadcast rights ...) as that stops Kolpack and Izzo from doing their shtick from north Fargo. 

The other three seem fairly normal and innocuous regarding the media rights holder's retention of value. 

8 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

fc1d6d9f78681f661e0ccb96674231d3.jpg

Too bad they show up looking like this.

The need some old school "aints fans" to teach them how to properly do a paper bag.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aints+fans&espv=2&biw=1536&bih=758&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI-bPz1JnOAhVK8IMKHbsrD70Q_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=aints+fans+bag

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Charlie Brown cuts holes better than the guy on the right.

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

NDSU must be getting paid a ton of money to restrict their exposure so much. I'm curious how big the contract is.  

Dumb move to block two of your biggest fanboys in the media. 

Football with KVLY is worth about 400k a year. I'm not sure what Midco paid for basketball or what the radio rights are. 

8 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

Football with KVLY is worth about 400k a year. I'm not sure what Midco paid for basketball or what the radio rights are. 

As Midco is now invading Cable One territory in Fargo, when will NDSU sign a deal to have all their sports on Midco SN like UND, USD, and SDSU? Midco was only available in West Fargo and Moorhead, now its available in south Fargo and construction is now going on in north Fargo. 

1 hour ago, NDSU grad said:

It's some good money but I have to think KVLY is going to start live blogging the game as well otherwise it's stupid.   They also would need to increase their online presence, especially on game-day before the game.  Has anyone ever said "I can either watch the game or I can follow along with a live blogger.  I think I'll follow a blog."

You don't see many of these restrictive deals, especially not for smaller schools.  NDSU needs to continue to flood the market with their brand.  Limiting pre-game, in-game and post-game exposure doesn't seem like a good way to do that.

Oh my... let me know when any FBS school says this:

Jeremy Jorgenson, NDSU's director of sales and broadcasting. "We've grown so much that we need to protect our brand."

Get over yourself ndsu. I would be passed if und gave this type of deal to Midco. Our best coverage, Brad and Tom would be passed just like Dom and Jeff are. 

• Upvote 3