SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

14 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

What would you suggest Darrell?  I'm on pins and needles waiting for your informed and well-educated response. 

Well according to his post we wont be selling popcorn or dippin dots which has nothing to do with the budget and its under the the control of the Fargo Dome.. But its Darryl.:lol:

5 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Do I really need to explain that FCOA and scholarships at NDSU is privately funded. 

For the first time ever this year.

http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/ndsu-reduction-in-funding-shouldn-t-adversely-affect-athletics/article_65fef440-1d9d-5474-9ce8-9ffa481206f9.html

NDSU Team Makers is more than helping. The booster group last month presented the athletic department with a record $4.3 million check to cover all scholarship costs — the first time it has been able to foot the entire scholarship bill, Larsen said. In prior years, the athletic department funded the difference.

They going to do that every year?

10 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Its NDSU, I don't care what they cut. Its your school what do you think they should cut?

Administrative salaries and travel expenses. Cut back on team meals, find cheaper vendors for certain things.  Find avenues to increase revenue.  There's lots of ways to do this. 

1 minute ago, NDSU grad said:

Administrative salaries and travel expenses. Cut back on team meals, find cheaper vendors for certain things.  Find avenues to increase revenue.  There's lots of ways to do this. 

Its a long bus ride to Oral Roberts, and Youngstown State.

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Why is athletics only having to cut 400K?  Assume the other departments are cutting much more than that. No?

I think the bigger question is why is the AD budget at NDSU about the same as UND's when UND has 2 very expensive sports in hockey?  NDSU has always been about 3-4 million less in prior years.

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

I think the bigger question is why is the AD budget at NDSU about the same as UND's when UND has 2 very expensive sports in hockey?  NDSU has always been about 3-4 million less in prior years.

You can't compare budgets without including REA.  A lot of athletic department revenue and expense is run through that entity.

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

Apparently UND needs to start asking for more direct state appropriations since NDSU gets 60% more.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Apparently UND needs to start asking for more direct state appropriations since NDSU gets 60% more.

According UNDBIZ, there is not a line item for athletics for appropriated funds.  NDSU just chooses to allocate more of that state money to athletics than UND.  UND already gets more state dollars than NDSU.

4 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

According UNDBIZ, there is not a line item for athletics for appropriated funds.  NDSU just chooses to allocate more of that state money to athletics than UND.  UND already gets more state dollars than NDSU.

It was mainly tongue in cheek, though it definitely presses a few buttons after hearing how NDSU's athletic department is in such a strong position, yet they directly rely on 10% of their budget coming from the State of ND. Again, I would be very interested to see the numbers Kolpack used because college athletics are a giant shell game and he apparently has something that would clarify it a little more. I will however continue to get a kick out of the huge sacrifices NDSU athletics is making by taking a 40% cut that in reality is a whopping  1.8% of their budget. On the flip side, I'm hoping UND is using the cuts as an excuse to make a few changes that could make drastic improvements in their athletic department. Time will tell if they will go with the status quo or make the tough and correct decision.

1 minute ago, NDSU grad said:

Only if you don't include the direct appropriations for ndsu research (ndsu is able to place a large portion of administrative and professor salaries off of its budget).

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Only if you don't include the direct appropriations for ndsu research (ndsu is able to place a large portion of administrative and professor salaries off of its budget).

I just browsed the 2015-2017 appropriations report from the NDUS.  Do they transfer some salaries from the Department of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Natural Resources into the extension budget?  That's the only way I could see them doing that.

On 2/18/2017 at 0:56 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Now I responded to both You and a poster named "North Dakota", of which both of you showed weakens in SD. You stated "They certainly weren't the best representative of what the MVFC offers up for competition". I showed how close SD games where with NDSU in the last 2 years. 

2016   28 - 21

2015   21 - 24

2014   47 - 7

2013   42 - 0

2012   54 - 0

2011   didn't play

Competition get n better and Bizon slipping.

18 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Two can play that game...

Last year, ndsu beat ysu by 3, and then won a natty. 

This year,  they beat ysu by 21 at home,  in a year that ysu makes the title game and ndsu does not. 

What's the situation there then? Is ndsu trending up or down??? 

I don't disagree (no reasonable person would) that NDSU is not at the level they were,  but your reasoning is pretty dumb. 

The bold part of your last sentence is exactly what I'm saying,

"I don't disagree (no reasonable person would) that NDSU is not at the level they were"  =  slipping

With Youngstown, you used 2 years, with SD I compared 5 years in the post you replied to. Here is NDSU vs YSU last 5 years .

2016   24 - 3

2015   27 - 24

2014   38 - 14

2013   35 - 17

2012   48 - 7      NDSU slid from 48 points down to 24.

Also look at all of NDSU's games comparing score and total offense yards - avg / gm 

Year          Points / Game          Yards / Game

Bizon     Opponents  Bizon      Opponents

2016 29.1 16.6 407 319
2015 34.9 15.3 423 271
2014 32.9 14.1 432 280
2013 38.7 11.3 457 255

Gap is tightening, the lines of the graph are on a collision course. Slip and Slide?

12 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The bold part of your last sentence is exactly what I'm saying,

"I don't disagree (no reasonable person would) that NDSU is not at the level they were"  =  slipping

With Youngstown, you used 2 years, with SD I compared 5 years in the post you replied to. Here is NDSU vs YSU last 5 years .

2016   24 - 3

2015   27 - 24

2014   38 - 14

2013   35 - 17

2012   48 - 7      NDSU slid from 48 points down to 24.

Also look at all of NDSU's games comparing score and total offense yards - avg / gm 

Year          Points / Game          Yards / Game

Bizon     Opponents  Bizon      Opponents

2016 29.1 16.6 407 319
2015 34.9 15.3 423 271
2014 32.9 14.1 432 280
2013 38.7 11.3 457 255

Gap is tightening, the lines of the graph are on a collision course. Slip and Slide?

Their offense is slipping but they still have a pretty damn good defense, and that's what still makes them very dangerous.

3 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

I just browsed the 2015-2017 appropriations report from the NDUS.  Do they transfer some salaries from the Department of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Natural Resources into the extension budget?  That's the only way I could see them doing that.

Essentially yes.  Extension, Ag Experiment Center, Upper Great Plains Institute

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

It was mainly tongue in cheek, though it definitely presses a few buttons after hearing how NDSU's athletic department is in such a strong position, yet they directly rely on 10% of their budget coming from the State of ND. Again, I would be very interested to see the numbers Kolpack used because college athletics are a giant shell game and he apparently has something that would clarify it a little more. I will however continue to get a kick out of the huge sacrifices NDSU athletics is making by taking a 40% cut that in reality is a whopping  1.8% of their budget. On the flip side, I'm hoping UND is using the cuts as an excuse to make a few changes that could make drastic improvements in their athletic department. Time will tell if they will go with the status quo or make the tough and correct decision.

How many posts have there been here and on b'ville about the discrepancy in state funding to each university?  Didn't Brescanni even complain about it to the state legislature a few years back?  Is that money they wanted for academics or athletics?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Looks to be working perfectly. The news tonight stated ndsu was cutting 40% from their athletic budget and 10% from academics. 

Academics took hits "over 10%" but (one small, 5% of Athletics, budget line item in) Athletics took a 40% cut! 

That is world-class spin. 

And the local media bought it.