SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

What is the source on this number? If Kolpack's numbers are right, then UND is eliminating all state general appropriation on the athletics side.

Kolpack's my source.  I probably have much too faith in him that he's right, but until I see something different it's all we have to go on.  I tried to find the number on the NDUS site, but it's very difficult to find budget line item detail on that.

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

What is the source on this number? If Kolpack's numbers are right, then UND is eliminating all state general appropriation on the athletics side.

I have no reason to doubt you, but I find it odd UND would get 60% of appropriated funds from the state compared to NDSU.  When the state appropriates funds, do they mandate specific departments they go to based on a formula?  And how much 'wiggle room' does each university's presidents have in regards to allocating appropriated funds?

On 2/18/2017 at 0:56 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I believe NDSU is a better team than UND or USD today, I've given you that before. Of course the pollsters will have JM, Youngstown, and NDSU up there at the start. They weigh heavily on past results, and then the polls change through out the year.

Now I responded to both You and a poster named "North Dakota", of which both of you showed weakens in SD. You stated "They certainly weren't the best representative of what the MVFC offers up for competition". I showed how close SD games where with NDSU in the last 2 years. Look below.

NDSU split one score games in last 2 seasons with SD. Prior three years NDSU won 

2014   47 - 7

2013   42 - 0

2012   54 - 0

2011   didn't play

Competition get n better and Bizon slipping.

Going to DL ice fishing, There will be no trolling, fishing in of a skid house.

Two can play that game...

Last year, ndsu beat ysu by 3, and then won a natty. 

This year,  they beat ysu by 21 at home,  in a year that ysu makes the title game and ndsu does not. 

What's the situation there then? Is ndsu trending up or down??? 

I don't disagree (no reasonable person would) that NDSU is not at the level they were,  but your reasoning is pretty dumb. 

12 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

I have no reason to doubt you, but I find it odd UND would get 60% of appropriated funds from the state compared to NDSU.  When the state appropriates funds, do they mandate specific departments they go to based on a formula?  And how much 'wiggle room' does each university's presidents have in regards to allocating appropriated funds?

The state gives each institution a lump sum amount based on an academic "credits completed" formula.  How the colleges/universities prioritize/allocate that money is up to them.

7 minutes ago, Cratter said:

What is one to take away from this? NDSU has more athletic money (and or externally) than UND (and or less expenses)?

Definitely less expenses (probably considerably) when you consider they offer less sports and would spend less on travel with the sports they offer.  

19 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

The have a thread on this on their forum?  Want to see how they think the budget will be cut.

Since we are now fully funded for all sports and FCOA through Team Makers the difference between that and what they used to get from the state will be part of that 400,000.

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Those numbers don't add up at all if the 40% number that was announced today is correct. But that isn't much of a surprise either. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one looking at those numbers and thinking 1+1=potato at ndsu. 

Almost gives the impression ol deano threw out the 40% number in an attempt to cut off any calls for deeper cuts to athletics. But he wouldn't lie, would he? 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, bison73 said:

We dont?

How's your Title IX compliance? You telling me football, baseball, and wrestling has almost as many scholarships as soccer, softball, and volleyball? Those are the only sports that is not offered to the opposite sex.  

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html

16 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one looking at those numbers and thinking 1+1=potato at ndsu. 

Well this new article makes it even more confusing. They are cutting $400,000 but somehow they are counting it once in each year to get to $800K.

So just we're straight with the facts that are out there
Per the USA Today numbers which come directing from NDSU's NCAA report, NDSU receives $6.6 million in direct institutional support.
Per Jeff Kolpack, NDSU receives $2.1 million in direct state appropriations. It is easy to assume that this is per year because every other single number in the article is a yearly figure.
First article today has Bresciani quoted as saying NDSU athletic's state appropriated general funds will be cut 40%.
Newest article today says the $800K is actually $400K/year for two years, even though it states the following: "The $2.1 million the athletic department gets from the state represents just one revenue stream in this year's $22.03 million overall athletic budget."  Why do they keep stating the $2.1 million is a biennial number when comparing it with the athletic budget that is an annual number?

Final question: UND is targeting $1.3 million as their cut, which per Jeff Kolpack, is the equivalent of their entire state appropriated funds. If NDSU is in such a great financial position as we are always told by visitors to this board, why are they receiving over 60% more in direct state appropriated funds?

14 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

How's your Title IX compliance? You telling me football, baseball, and wrestling has almost as many scholarships as soccer, softball, and volleyball? Those are the only sports that is not offered to the opposite sex.  

Women's sports offer more scholarships than the male sport I believe.  

Ndsu also doesn't base it on 50/50 equity anyways. 

20 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

We are in compliance according to the NCAA.  Did you know that NDSU has fully funded ALL sports. That means mens and womens scholarships. That also means FCOA is fully funded  for mens and womens sports. I would ask if UND can say that but we all know that your sports arent fully funded.

Since womens sports are fully funded I dont see how you can say we dont support womens sports.

7 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Women's sports offer more scholarships than the male sport I believe.  

Ndsu also doesn't base it on 50/50 equity anyways. 

NDSU is in the bottom 10 of the entire NCAA in opportunities for Men vs. Women, having over 2 males for every female participating in athletics (adjusted for unduplicated numbers). On a scholarship basis, for every $1 spent on a women's scholarships, they spend around $1.60 on men's scholarships, again worst ratios in the entire NCAA.

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Well this new article makes it even more confusing. They are cutting $400,000 but somehow they are counting it once in each year to get to $800K.

So just we're straight with the facts that are out there
Per the USA Today numbers which come directing from NDSU's NCAA report, NDSU receives $6.6 million in direct institutional support.
Per Jeff Kolpack, NDSU receives $2.1 million in direct state appropriations. It is easy to assume that this is per year because every other single number in the article is a yearly figure.
First article today has Bresciani quoted as saying NDSU athletic's state appropriated general funds will be cut 40%.
Newest article today says the $800K is actually $400K/year for two years, even though it states the following: "The $2.1 million the athletic department gets from the state represents just one revenue stream in this year's $22.03 million overall athletic budget."  Why do they keep stating the $2.1 million is a biennial number when comparing it with the athletic budget that is an annual number?

Final question: UND is targeting $1.3 million as their cut, which per Jeff Kolpack, is the equivalent of their entire state appropriated funds. If NDSU is in such a great financial position as we are always told by visitors to this board, why are they receiving over 60% more in direct state appropriated funds?

State appropriations are on a 2-year budget cycle, so it's entirely possible the Forum is just bad at giving information. 

Institutional support would also include tuition and fee revenue. 

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

State appropriations are on a 2-year budget cycle, so it's entirely possible the forum is just bad at giving information. 

Institutional support would also include tuition and fee revenue. 

I get all that, I'm just confused why they are so terrible at actually laying it out and why NDSU is receiving a significantly higher percentage if they are in such great financial shape.