SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

3 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Competed.  See the word "competed".  We didn't play anybody better than them so that is the only reference point.  USD competed just fine with all your top end teams.  They just need to learn how to win.

USD has been a bottom third MVFC team since they joined the conference.

I certainly hope we aim higher then USD because they certainly are not "competeing fine" IMO.

5 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

I certainly hope we aim higher then USD because they certainly are not "competeing fine" IMO.

In fairness, last year for them was the first year with a brand new coaching staff and they certainly looked better than previous years. They certainly weren't the best representative of what the MVFC offers up for competition, but they seem to be moving in the right direction.

4-7 is still 4-7 though.

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

Your D is setup as a high risk high reward stop the run.  Your backfield is put on a island and when you play against a good qb they are exposed. 

So you're saying UND's defense is already set up to do well in the MVFC?

UND's defensive backfield managed just fine last year being tied for second in the nation in interceptions despite their All-American safety missing a couple games.

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I wonder sometimes if people read the thread or if they just come in blind and comment with zero context because of posts like this.

Yeah I read it.  I left my response very vague.....my reference was that bubba is adding depth at the other positions as well, not just cb and safety.  Your implication is that since und plays in a pass happy league, they distinctly rely heavily on secondary recruiting...not true.  They of course look for the best recruit as the secondary is a vital part of any D but there are other positions to fill and bubba knows damn well the gamw is won....trenches.  UND will be ready defensively speaking for the mvfc. But I need to ask ... you say teams don't need to be as deep at those two positions in the mvfc then the big sky...why?   Injuries don't happen to the secondary positions in the mvfc?? How many safeties and cbs did ndsu have last year on the roster?  They had 17.  UND had 15.  Can you explain that ? 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Yeah I read it.  I left my response very vague.....my reference was that bubba is adding depth at the other positions as well, not just cb and safety.  Your implication is that since und plays in a pass happy league, they distinctly rely heavily on secondary recruiting...not true.  They of course look for the best recruit as the secondary is a vital part of any D but there are other positions to fill and bubba knows damn well the gamw is won....trenches.  UND will be ready defensively speaking for the mvfc. But I need to ask ... you say teams don't need to be as deep at those two positions in the mvfc then the big sky...why?   Injuries don't happen to the secondary positions in the mvfc?? How many safeties and cbs did ndsu have last year on the roster?  They had 17.  UND had 15.  Can you explain that ? 

I wouldn't be able to respond with any knowledge unless you had the ability to tell me how many of those players are scholarship players and how much scholarship each player is getting.

also, didn't UND just have a large influx of DB's in this recruiting class because they were "understaffed" at those positions?

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I wouldn't be able to respond with any knowledge unless you had the ability to tell me how many of those players are scholarship players and how much scholarship each player is getting.

Wouldn't be able to respond to a quote of yours?  You said the mvfc doesn't need as much depth in the secondary as the big sky.   Why is that? 

6 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Wouldn't be able to respond to a quote of yours?  You said the mvfc doesn't need as much depth in the secondary as the big sky.   Why is that? 

Your using information to support a claim with no frame of reference for that information. There are a million variables as to why one team in one conference would at this very moment have more defensive backs on the roster than another team in a different conference. I'm not going to take the time to do it, nor would you be able to find the information even if you wanted to find out, but to support what you think you've got me boxed in on, you'd have to see each team's roster in the conference and how much scholarship money is allocated to each player and if they actually contribute on defense or they are simply a special teamer. 

Are you disputing the fact that there are more teams in the big sky that run more 3-5 WR sets on a regular basis than there are in the MVFC?

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

also, didn't UND just have a large influx of DB's in this recruiting class because they were "understaffed" at those positions?

Please, say no more. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Is there a projected depth chart somewhere heading into spring football?

Based on my understanding, it will be something SIMILAR to this:

(For reference: http://www.undsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=6399&SPSID=58641&DB_OEM_ID=13500)

QB - 1) Keaton Studsrud, Sr. 2) Andrew Zimmerman, So. or Brad Heidlebaugh, So. 3) Ben Bolinske, RFr.

HB - 1) John Santiago, Jr. 2) Brady Oliveria, Jr. 3) James Johannesson, So. 4) Austin Gordon, So.

FB - 1) Kyle Norberg, Sr. 2) Tyler Coyne, Jr. 3) Brett Finke RFr.

TE - 1) Luke Fiedler, Jr. 2) Alex Cloyd, So. 3) Hunter Pinke, RFr.

WR - 1) Travis Toivonen, So. 2) Demun Mercer, Sr.

WR - 1) Noah Wanzek, So. 2) Luke Stanley, Jr.

LT - 1) AJ Stockwell, Sr. 2) Adam Stiner, Jr.

LG - 1) Dan Bell, Sr. 2) Grant Aplin, Jr.

C - 1) Grant Aplin, Jr. 2) Patric Rooney, So.

RG - 1) Demon Taylor, Jr. 2) Brandon Miller, Sr.

RT - 1) Bryce Blair, So. 2) Mat Cox, Sr.

OL to watch: RFr. Ryan Tobin, RFr. Nathan Nguon, RFr. Noah Mortel

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

LDE - 1) Drew Greely, Sr. 2) Mason Bennett, So.

RDE - 1) Brandon Dranka, Sr. 2) Austin Cieslak, Jr.

NG - 1) Tank Harris, Jr. 2) Steve Greer, Jr. 

OLB - 1) Jake Disterhauput, Sr. 2) Ray Haas, RFr. or Tanner Palmborg, Jr. or Jake Geier, RFr.

OLB - 1) Jade Lawrence, So.  2) Jaxon Turner, RFr. or Tanner Palmborg, Jr. or Jake Geier, RFr.

ILB - 1) Connor O'Brien, Sr. 2) Cam Hunt, RFr.

ILB - 1) Donnell Rodgers, So. 2) Dijon Murray, Sr. 

LCB - 1) Deion Harris, Sr. 2) Tyus Carter, Jr.

RCB - 1) Torrey Hunt, So. 2) Evan Holm, So.

FS - 1) Tamas Stewart, Jr. 2) Chuck Flowers, Sr. 

SS - 1) Cole Reyes, Sr. 2)  Vashon Tucker, So. or Andre Randolph, RFr. or Jordan Canady, RFr., 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

P - 1) Austin Dussold, Sr. 2) Connor Bolduc, Jr.

K - 1) Reid Taubenheim, Sr. 

LS - 1) Jacob Holmen, Sr. 2) Logan Alm, So. 

H - 1) Stetson Carr, Sr. 2) Austin Dussold, Sr. 

PR) Josh Seibel, Sr. or John Santiago, Jr. or Cole Reyes, Sr. or Cameron McKinney, Fr. 

KR) John Santiago, Jr. or Evan Holm, So. or Cameron McKinney, Fr. 

18 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Based on my understanding, it will be something LIKE this:

(For reference: http://www.undsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=6399&SPSID=58641&DB_OEM_ID=13500)

QB - 1) Keaton Studsrud, Sr. 2) Andrew Zimmerman, So. or Brad Heidlebaugh, So. 3) Ben Bolinske, RFr.

HB - 1) John Santiago, Jr. 2) Brady Oliveria, Jr. 3) James Johannesson, So. 4) Austin Gordon, So.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

OLB - 1) Jake Disterhauput, Sr. 2) Ray Haas, RFr. or Tanner Palmborg, Jr. or Jake Geier, RFr.

OLB - 1) Jade Lawrence, So.  2) Jaxon Turner, RFr. or Tanner Palmborg, Jr. or Jake Geier, RFr.

SS - 1) Cole Reyes, Sr. 2)  Vashon Tucker, So. or Andre Randolph, RFr. or Jordan Canady, RFr., 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

PR) Josh Seibel, Sr. or John Santiago, Jr. or Cole Reyes, Sr. or Cameron McKinney, Fr. 

Thank you. What does every think about the QB's currently on the roster? Is studsrud's heir currently on the roster or will they need to do something there for the coming years?

11 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Thank you. What does every think about the QB's currently on the roster? Is studsrud's heir currently on the roster or will they need to do something there for the coming years?

My guess (pure guess): 

Studsrud (Sr) to this new Zimmerman (incoming transfer Soph) fellow to the HS recruit from Edina Brock Boltmann. 

That's what it looks like to this casual observer's eye. 

The wildcard is how is Heidlebaugh progressing. 

36 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Based on my understanding, it will be something SIMILAR to this:

12 seniors, and 6 Juniors for starters (including special teams) means a lot of experience and this should be our year that we go far.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

My guess (pure guess): 

Studsrud (Sr) to this new Zimmerman (incoming transfer Soph) fellow to the HS recruit from Edina Brock Boltmann. 

That's what it looks like to this casual observer's eye. 

The wildcard is how is Heidlebaugh progressing. 

Unless he finds out he's been left handed this whole time I'm not sure his mechanics are fixable.

16 hours ago, CMSioux said:

I know this is the thread to keep SU drival out of every other thread but it's a huge stretch to say SU is declining and really as a UND fan I do not care a bit about their team. I do not wish for them to slide I want us to rise.

Well said!!!!!!

10 hours ago, Bison06 said:

In fairness, last year for them was the first year with a brand new coaching staff and they certainly looked better than previous years. They certainly weren't the best representative of what the MVFC offers up for competition, but they seem to be moving in the right direction.

4-7 is still 4-7 though.

10 hours ago, North Dakota said:

Interesting that in the last 18 months:

SD beats the Bizon 24 - 21.   This win by SD was in that bold part in the top post.

Bizon beat SD         28 - 21.   

Pretty competitive to someone who is slipping.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Interesting that in the last 18 months:

SD beats the Bizon 24 - 21.   This win by SD was in that bold part in the top post.

Bizon beat SD         28 - 21.   

Pretty competitive to someone who is slipping.

Yeah, USD was rising so much following that 24-21 win in 2015 that they decided to fire the entire coaching staff and start from scratch...that makes sense.

2015, USD beats NDSU, NDSU goes on to win national championship.

2016, USD loses to NDSU, NDSU doesn't win national championship.

USD is improving, but to use USD games in 2015 and 2016 to show NDSU is slipping actually bolsters the opposite argument than what you are claiming it does.

3 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Yeah, USD was rising so much following that 24-21 win in 2015 that they decided to fire the entire coaching staff and start from scratch...that makes sense.

2015, USD beats NDSU, NDSU goes on to win national championship.

2016, USD loses to NDSU, NDSU doesn't win national championship.

USD is improving, but to use USD games in 2015 and 2016 to show NDSU is slipping actually bolsters the opposite argument than what you are claiming it does.

They fired the staff?