SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

5 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

No clue.  How ironic is it that we need to rely on the media to inform us WTF is going on down there?  :)

Very ironic. Business is business I understand I suppose. But this just feels like a bad idea doesn't it. If I'm kolpack right now, I'm furious. His entire professional life basically he's been accused of being an ndsu apologist and at times maybe it's been warranted. He(along with others)has been a big reason why this run has been so much fun for the fan base. Fun countdowns on their video blog, pre game analysis on the opposing teams, post game coverage that I've come to count on as a fan who lives outside of Fargo. After all of that, when a check gets laid on the table you tell them thanks but no thanks? Feels wrong.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Not getting all the outrage.  How is this different than any of the megabuck media and broadcast deals that have defined sports for decades?  Pretty much every sports property has been willing to trade exclusivity for money.  Blackouts, embargoes, all of those things trace back to exclusive rights having been granted to singular entities.  It's NDSU's events and venues...why should they be chastised for monetizing media access when that is the norm?  Go ahead and try to broadcast your little, indie sports show from the grounds of the Super Bowl, Final Four, World Series, etc., and see what happens.

What in the world are you talking about?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bison06 said:

So catch me up on the details here. How did this come about? Did KVLY make exclusivity a clause in their offer or how did this happen?

From what I understand is  WDAY-Foolum were offerded the rights. They said fine they would pay the money but if you dont win 8 games you start paying us. The negotiations went down hill from there.

36 minutes ago, bison73 said:

From what I understand is  WDAY-Foolum were offerded the rights. They said fine they would pay the money but if you dont win 8 games you start paying us. The negotiations went down hill from there.

That makes it sound like Dom and Izzo should be pissed at Form management for effing up a good thing.  Hard to tell who is right or wrong here with the limited info but it is hard to identify any winners

8 hours ago, Milford torgerson said:

That makes it sound like Dom and Izzo should be pissed at Form management for effing up a good thing.  Hard to tell who is right or wrong here with the limited info but it is hard to identify any winners

There are no winners here. Jeremy Jorgensen should be fired and sent back to Montana. I had high hopes for Mat Larsen, but if this was his idea he should be let go too. I can see maybe restricting live interviews with head coaches on game day, but not entirely in season. And Imcan see not allowing live video from INSIDE an arena or stadium on game day, but they are being ridiculous. And no, not everybody is doing it. Most colleges would take all of the coverage they can get. They want everybody to tune into their new station on Monday. The problem is nobody knows what that station is. I hope nobody listens. 

I follow Bisonation on twitter but I don't go to Bisonville so I don't know how they are reacting, but Bisonation is defending the policy. The people that are defending it are equal to the Republicans that actually support Donald Trump. If the Republicans nominated him he must be all right. Just because the NDSU athletic adminstration made a decisIon doesn't mean it is a right decision. 

I was thinking about sucking it up and paying their per seat fee for 4 MBB season tickets this year. I am not going to anymore. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Most colleges would take all of the coverage they can get.

You're confusing "coverage" with unlimited access.  Exclusive media access went to the highest bidder.  Everyone else can 'cover' all they want, but they have to play by the rules (which I gather had always been in place but were not enforced).

The click-bait headlines and the Ports and McFeeleys are doing nothing but clouding the issue.  Which is interesting, because they're all paid by Forum, who coincidentally got outbid for NDSU's media rights.  Think about that for a minute.  (Maybe it's no coincidence at all.)

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

They want everybody to tune into their new station on Monday. The problem is nobody knows what that station is. I hope nobody listens. 

I think you're underestimating the passion of sports fans.  They will find the content.  And at the end of the day, do you really hope nobody consumes NDSU's product?

Media shuffling to the chagrin of the public is nothing new.  Look at the Big Ten Network.  A lot of people laughed it off as a greedy money-grab by the conference and schools.  Hundreds of thousands of loyal fans, accustomed to watching their teams on ABC/ESPN, were faced with a choice - pay for expanded cable, or not.  At first, nobody even knew where BTN was on cable.  In fact, many cable providers didn't even offer BTN, so they had to be lobbied.  Did some fans bail?  Probably.  But a lot of people figured it out, and now it is a legitimate media player and reaches more homes than ever.

Nobody knows how this will all shake out for NDSU in the end...but I certainly don't think it's the show-stopping controversy some are making it out to be.  It's business, plain and simple.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Big sigh of relief in Grand Forks as the spotlight is now on SU for a bit. The Chris Farley of North Dakota Universities strikes again. 

There are only two kinds of schools:  those who have sold their soul to the devil, and those chomping at the bit to.  Up and down I-29, it's money that talks.

13 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Nobody knows how this will all shake out for NDSU in the end...but I certainly don't think it's the show-stopping controversy some are making it out to be.  It's business, plain and simple.

KVLY/RFM couldn't compete on quality of actual output so they opened up the checkbook and got the rules change. I don't agree, but can see where they may want to limit radio and TV competition, however they went overboard. And due to the makeup of the Fargo media, their attempt to limit radio and TV competition is going to have a big effect on newspaper coverage and that can't be a good thing for NDSU. I don't think anyone would argue that Forum Communications has benefited from NDSU doing well but NDSU was also a huge beneficiary of that coverage, getting what probably amounts to unprecedented coverage for being an FCS school and helping build the brand that they are supposedly now trying to protect, whatever that means. The new policies they came out with might as well have included Izzo and Kolpack's names in them, because they were worded to specifically limit the extra things they did and were very well viewed/consumed by fans and helped build the expanded fan base and get information to the new "bandwagon" fans that aren't as plugged in. Wonder if this ends the kid gloves treatment they had previously been getting from Forum Communications?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I think you're underestimating the passion of sports fans.  They will find the content. 

Have you read the hockey broadcast threads?  We can watch almost every game (maybe miss one or two OOC series) at the click of a button on any sort of device and people still complain.

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

You're confusing "coverage" with unlimited access.  Exclusive media access went to the highest bidder.  Everyone else can 'cover' all they want, but they have to play by the rules (which I gather had always been in place but were not enforced).

The click-bait headlines and the Ports and McFeeleys are doing nothing but clouding the issue.  Which is interesting, because they're all paid by Forum, who coincidentally got outbid for NDSU's media rights.  Think about that for a minute.  (Maybe it's no coincidence at all.)

Limit access inside venues and to coaches on game days. That is fine. But to not allow a Monday PRESS conference to be broadcast is ridiculous. And taking your radio broadcasts to an entity that has not shown they can perform is risky. 

Yup. All the NDSU eggs are now in a radio media basket with no track record. And they've alienated their past best outlet and reporters.

AM 1660 used to be the home of Dragon or Cobber athletics. Look what it did for them. ;)

Meanwhile, back on the highest rated station in Fargo is UND.

• Upvote 2

For NDSU's sake hopefully these recent poor decisions don't "sink the ship". NDSU's success won't last forever so burning bridges is a bad idea. Bresciani needs to go as he probably has had his hands in these decisions. He is also prob the reason for no annual rivalry with UND. That rivalry means only good things for the state. Once UND rises to a higher level in football and the Bison fall some you will see NDSU begging for the rivalry back.

7 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I follow Bisonation on twitter but I don't go to Bisonville so I don't know how they are reacting, but Bisonation is defending the policy. The people that are defending it are equal to the Republicans that actually support Donald Trump. If the Republicans nominated him he must be all right. Just because the NDSU athletic adminstration made a decisIon doesn't mean it is a right decision. 

So that means the status quo at NDSU is Hillary and the Democrats.  A win at all cost approach where rules and guidelines are compromised while lie after lie is told, and the media is covering things up the whole way and law enforcement is too scared to do anything about it.  Sounds about right!

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

I'm getting the popcorn ready cause this is going to get good. Once the VNL contract is finally released and the Forum does a freedom of info request for all those emails within the athletic dept...

I bet those emails disappear.  "HILLARY", where are you??

• Upvote 1