SiouxSports.com Forum

ArchyAlum11

A forward thinking individual would have submitted 'Fighting- Foxes, -Hens, -Mice, -Rats, -Bears, -Zebras, -Penguins, -Coyotes, -Kitties, -Cats, -Giraffes, -Elephants, Etc.' so that one 'Fighting ______ (animal)' wouldn't stand out above the rest. Sigh.

4 hours ago, ClassB said:

A forward thinking individual would have submitted 'Fighting- Foxes, -Hens, -Mice, -Rats, -Bears, -Zebras, -Penguins, -Coyotes, -Kitties, -Cats, -Giraffes, -Elephants, Etc.' so that one 'Fighting ______ (animal)' wouldn't stand out above the rest. Sigh.

Right...each one is as horrible as the previous submission.

You didn't see the memo from the LIC (Liberals in Charge):  

No names associated with war or killing

Too easy to relate to Native American imagry

Not unique - there are warhawks in Wisconsin and probably at least a have dozen more out there. (oops I guess that rule slipped by them)

You know, Schafer ripped the nickname selection process.  He wasn't afraid to speak his mind there.  He could be saying nice things about the logo "It's really cool" just because he's still repping UND, but if he really didn't like the logo he could have said something nice that seemed a little less off-the-cuff and genuine.  Of course, I'm reading an awful lot into a 3 word quote in the newspaper.   I'm concerned like the rest of you but am trying to remain hopeful.

I would say "really cool" is overstating it a bit. It's certainly not terrible. I would go so far as to say it's a decent job. But then again, I was not particularly enamored with the Bennett Brien Indian head logo as a pure marketing logo, either. At first, I thought the Brien logo was too busy, or maybe too intricate, and would be hard to replicate on caps and shirts and uniforms. But, over time, it grew on me a lot, until I fell deeply in love with it (probably due to its association with our school's tradition and legacy). Obviously, many other folks felt the same way, but whether they felt that way right away or warmed up to it like I did is another matter.

Maybe the same will happen this time, although, it's different in that we are carting out a whole new thing that replaces a deeply adored and iconic image. So it won't be apples to apples by any stretch. 

As I say, all the time now, expect this not to be readily embraced because of the deep seeded anxiety and hurt surrounding this whole transition process -- and the fact that this stuff is so damned subjective anyway.

31 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

As I say, all the time now, expect this not to be readily embraced because of the deep seeded anxiety and hurt surrounding this whole transition process -- and the fact that this stuff is so damned subjective anyway.

Judging reactions will be tough, especially factoring in that there is a good portion of people that already have their minds made up that they hate it and won't accept it. SME's other work has been pretty good and it sounds like they took a lot of input so I'm hoping that the result is something that isn't universally rejected and then, with time, will grow on the fan base. Having the athletic teams both accept it and perform well on the field will go a long way into a smoother transition.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Judging reactions will be tough, especially factoring in that there is a good portion of people that already have their minds made up that they hate it and won't accept it. SME's other work has been pretty good and it sounds like they took a lot of input so I'm hoping that the result is something that isn't universally rejected and then, with time, will grow on the fan base. Having the athletic teams both accept it and perform well on the field will go a long way into a smoother transition.

Well said. I love the football team's approach to the new name ( as well as other athletic programs on campus). They have decided to own it and embrace it.  I see that continuing with the new logo, too.  

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

I would say "really cool" is overstating it a bit. It's certainly not terrible. I would go so far as to say it's a decent job. But then again, I was not particularly enamored with the Bennett Brien Indian head logo as a pure marketing logo, either. At first, I thought the Brien logo was too busy, or maybe too intricate, and would be hard to replicate on caps and shirts and uniforms. But, over time, it grew on me a lot, until I fell deeply in love with it (probably due to its association with our school's tradition and legacy). Obviously, many other folks felt the same way, but whether they felt that way right away or warmed up to it like I did is another matter.

Maybe the same will happen this time, although, it's different in that we are carting out a whole new thing that replaces a deeply adored and iconic image. So it won't be apples to apples by any stretch. 

Hold up, you've seen the new logo?!!

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 9:51 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Scott, why didn't you submit the nickname "martini swillin' boners" with your avatar as a logo? 

I'm not sure Social Distortion would be amenable to UND using Skelly, but I could ask.  :)

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Hold up, you've seen the new logo?!!

Yes and no. I was invited to be part of one of several focus groups in which versions or "directions" for potential new logos were discussed. So I do not know which one Ed ultimately will choose but I have an idea of the direction that designers were aiming for.

Just now, Teeder11 said:

Yes and no. I was invited to be part of one of several focus groups in which versions or "directions" for potential new logos were discussed. So I do not know which one Ed ultimately will choose but I have an idea of the direction that designers were aiming for.

Care to give us any more info on what direction the logos were going? I'm not a patient person :)

28 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I've seen it!!

It's a hawk with accents of green white and black colors in the logo. Looks pretty sweet!!  Was that too vague, or did you want a better description? ;)

Is it a bird, or a plane, or......is it...........

Superlame?!

• Upvote 1