SiouxSports.com Forum

ArchyAlum11

The logo is far worse than I thought it would be.  How can this possibly be put on a green or white jersey?  As expected the football team will embrace it and it will go on the gray helmets, which is not one of our school colors.  So glad they are embracing it since in past memory they never had a Sioux logo on their helmets.  Those that said this is needed for marketing should be outraged as well.  The only thing this will go on is a black or gray hat.  There is no way on earth the hockey team, or any of our teams should use this logo on a jersey or sweater that is green or white.  Glad the hockey team already got their jerseys and we will not have to look at these on those jerseys.  This is the true definition of "epic fail".

1) Did I or did I not nail my prediction that it would be a bland hawk head? We all knew this was coming, right? Ok Good.

2) I texted my group of friends the new logo in our group chat, none of whom go to UND, and one of my friends responded with a picture of the Sioux logo. I trained them well. 

3) It is pride month I suppose, so I'm still proud of UND and how well we do on and off the athletic fields regardless of our name/logo. No matter how generic. 

I think people need to recognize that the whole process was done with the goal of minimizing criticism, not maximizing value.  When you take that approach, you get a bland mascot and bland logo.  It's how design by committee works.  Good luck to the Figh-, oh, I can't even say it.  Good luck to the Ermines this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A day later and it's still horrible...bad nickname equals bad logo...interesting to read everyone's opinions and how fired up some people get over other's perspective.  Will be interested to see how much f'hawk logo merch sells in the first 3/6/12 months.  If UND is smart (hmmm) they will continue to provide 'North Dakota' or 'UND' branded merchandise (sans Hawk logo).

11 hours ago, Blackheart said:

A day later and it's still horrible...bad nickname equals bad logo...interesting to read everyone's opinions and how fired up some people get over other's perspective.  Will be interested to see how much f'hawk logo merch sells in the first 3/6/12 months.  If UND is smart (hmmm) they will continue to provide 'North Dakota' or 'UND' branded merchandise (sans Hawk logo).

Funny how people have evolved after this latest change.  

When the Sioux nickname was being retired it was "people better run out and get as much Sioux stuff as possible because this new 'North Dakota' / 'ND' logo/merchandise sucks".  

Now it's "people better get as much 'North Dakota' / 'ND' stuff as possible cause this new logo/merchandise is going to suck".  

Even Buccigross was bragging about how great UND's current hockey jerseys look, the ones with the 'North Dakota' and an 'ND' on them.  I was told they were going to be AWFUL and nothing could compare to the Sioux logo and jerseys.  

20 hours ago, Dagger said:

24 hours later.    I have now seen it in the headings of UND websites.    I admit I like it  a lot more today  than I did yesterday.    It just might be a process. 

I think it looks a whole lot better on the posters and headings than on shirts, jerseys, or standing alone. 

That's as close to complimenting it as I can get right now. ;) 

20 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Even Buccigross was bragging about how great UND's current hockey jerseys look, the ones with the 'North Dakota' and an 'ND' on them.  I was told they were going to be AWFUL and nothing could compare to the Sioux logo and jerseys.  

Buccigross also doesn't seem to mind the new logo either:

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Buccigross also doesn't seem to mind the new logo either:

Good to hear that somebody actually likes it.  I think it will get better as they produce more content, headings, fonts, etc.  

Like others have shown in their own mockups, I wish there was a bit more contrast.  More black on edges.  

Bucci is a lot like me in that it's not as bad I expected. But it isn't a jersey front. It's a shoulder patch (hockey or FB) or thigh patch (M/W BB).  

That jersey there is terrible...that logo for hats, visors, shoulders or calendars.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Good to hear that somebody actually likes it.  I think it will get better as they produce more content, headings, fonts, etc.  

Like others have shown in their own mockups, I wish there was a bit more contrast.  More black on edges.  

you're welcome :)

ND v.2.png

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I still don't like the bottom right corner of the "N":

- it doesn't line up angularly with the top left corner
- it makes the "N" feel oversized compared to the D 

Dear SME: Clip it off. 

Dear SME : Leave it.

Ah, the life of a designer . . . not everyone will ever have the same opinion ;)

well, we'll disagree on the points of the N . . . but mostly we can agree that some outlining and black details help it stand out.

But, whatever.  That was fun to jack around with for a bit.

Go HAWKS (no matter what you're logo looks like)

7 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Funny how people have evolved after this latest change.  

When the Sioux nickname was being retired it was "people better run out and get as much Sioux stuff as possible because this new 'North Dakota' / 'ND' logo/merchandise sucks".  

Now it's "people better get as much 'North Dakota' / 'ND' stuff as possible cause this new logo/merchandise is going to suck".  

I hope UND doesn't change logos again soon...seems every time they do we end up with something worse. :)

• Upvote 2