SiouxSports.com Forum

ArchyAlum11

3 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Schafer said he isn't bothered by the continued popularity of the Fighting Sioux nick-name but wishes the process of selecting the Fighting Hawks name had been done in a more professional way...."We took 2,000 amateurs and said choose which one you want, so that's what we have," Schafer said.

So, it turns out Ed had all the answers -- including, it would seem, a bulletproof and uniquely "professional" approach to name selection.

the wedding singer yesterday.png

Yet, nobody bothered to ask him, and now he's content to throw everyone under the bus? Interesting tactic. #mondaymorningquarterbackmuch

10 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Well they're almost done, so I guess we can get ready to do one of three things, cringe, be pleasantly surprised, or remain indifferent. My bet is on either cringe or remain indifferent.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4046532-schafer-und-logo-development-down-two-options

Let me just start out that I was not a fan of Fighting Hawks as the new nickname.  I voted for Roughriders.  Fighting Hawks isn't horrible, but it definitely has a long ways to go before people will embrace it fully.  One thing that is making it hard for the new name to take off (no pun intended) is the lack of a logo.  A symbol that brings it all together.  With the Fighting Sioux name, we had that symbol.  No matter where you were, you recognized the Sioux logo and knew that it represented UND.  Now obviously SME has a  difficult task of making a generic bird logo a symbol that is unique and specifically associated with UND.  Looking at their past projects, the do develop some real good logos.  I, like everyone else, is on the edge of me seat in anticipation of the release of the new logo.  No matter what it looks like, it is going to be met with opposition.  Much like the name.  But when both are paired together and UND once again has a name and logo that teams, students, fans, etc can unit under, it will help the moving forward process of the era of Fighting Hawks sports here at UND.

• Upvote 2

I think Ed is pointing out 2000 amateurs picked "Hawks", just like thousands of other amateurs picked Hawks at so many other schools transitioning from Native related names. So yeah, he is saying it's generic and bland. 

Professionals would have taken time to really find something that is unique and distinct to and about North Dakota. 

Ed comes from the mindset of "this is my job, I'm going to do it". You could see it in the way he handled the budget; if he could have, he'd have handled the nickname the same way. The predecessor was all committees and consensus; all that gets you is bland and generic. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I think Ed is pointing out 2000 amateurs picked "Hawks", just like thousands of other amateurs picked Hawks at so many other schools transitioning from Native related names. So yeah, he is saying it's generic and bland. 

Professionals would have taken time to really find something that is unique and distinct to and about North Dakota. 

Not the ones we hired. They were pushing hawks. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Just remember folks...we were almost named Sundogs. That alone makes me ill. I wish they could show the 2 logos that are in the running or show the ones that didn't make it. 

Will all that info eventually be subject to ND public records laws?  On one hand it is a private firms records, but on the other hand it was for a public institution in ND. 

• Upvote 1

I was lucky enough to sit in on one of the aforementioned (in the article) focus groups, and I told the reps from SME that I came into the setting with a fair amount of skepticism (mind you, more of an open mind but not cynicism) as to what they'd come up with for the "Three Directions" that they were headed. After seeing the directions, I told them I was surprised that "I did not hate" the basic concepts they revealed as far as primary logo, secondary logo and Word Mark logo.  The SME boss told me that, in his business, my sort of reaction could be called a victory for them, especially given the conviction, angst and controversy surrounding the old logo and the transition.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

So you were in the room, saw the roll-outs, got asked for an opinion ... and you didn't leak any here. 

Turn in your #gobc covert operative decoder ring on your way out the door. 

Yeah, I almost got turned away at the door after I failed the retinal scan and forgot the secret password! :D

5 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Seeing the panthers new logo makes me nervous for ours.... I'm imaging a clean looking generic hawk that could be a motor oil logo.

I like the old Panther attack cat logo, but I don't mind this new one. It's a million times better than QU's "kitty paw" Bobcat. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Teeder11 said:

Yeah, I almost got turned away at the door after I failed the retinal scan and forgot the secret password! :D

When the #gobc "cleaners" and "mechanics" are done with you you'll fail more than a retinal scan. 

17 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Seeing the panthers new logo makes me nervous for ours.... I'm imaging a clean looking generic hawk that could be a motor oil logo.

060216-fsf-nhl-florida-panthers-new-uniforms-PI.vadapt.664.high.21.jpg

I'll take clean, all day. If I were a Panthers fan, I'd be completely fine with this logo.

No teeth. No scowl, please, for UND's sake.

Minor diversion to the new FLA logo ...

There also will be special bars worn by the captain and the alternates in addition to the letters typically displayed on the left breast, a first in the sport and a pretty cool idea. 

I was pro-Roughriders. I would've argued for sleeve hashes (1 for FR; 4 for SR) and collar regalia for Cs and As on jerseys. 

35 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Just remember folks...we were almost named Sundogs. That alone makes me ill. I wish they could show the 2 logos that are in the running or show the ones that didn't make it. 

Other than it making the final five how were we almost Sundogs anymore than we were almost the North Stars? 

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I like the old Panther attack cat logo, but I don't mind this new one. It's a million times better than QU's "kitty paw" Bobcat. 

Isn't that the truth! It's like a high-schooler came up with the logo for his intramural team...We can all rest assured that the logo will not be that bad.  

Speaking of Sit Down and Cheer episode with St Peter, he made a great point of that he was always more proud of being from North Dakota than being a part of the Sioux (although a huge supporter of the logo and name).  I hope we keep a strong focus with North Dakota on the forefront with the new logo slowly implemented.