SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux in White House??

dden3

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Tim Thomas didn't make a huge spectacle about it; he wasn't being classless and he sure as heck wasn't standing on this so called "soap box". He told Peter Chiarelli in a private meeting that he wasn't going to attend, the media is the one who kept persisting the issue.

Once the media wouldn't stop Thomas made a statement, "I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People. This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government. Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL."

This is what was wrong with it. This was supposed to be about the team, not about him getting his jock strap in a bunch over something totally unrelated to the game of hockey or winning the Stanley Cup. And nobody in the media held a gun to his head and told him to say that.

• Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is what was wrong with it. This was supposed to be about the team, not about him getting his jock strap in a bunch over something totally unrelated to the game of hockey or winning the Stanley Cup. And nobody in the media held a gun to his head and told him to say that.

There is nothing wrong with turning down an invite to the White House, he has every right to do so and it wasn't until the media made a big deal about him not going he finally answered them. I don't see you bashing Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Matt Birk, James Harrison, Manny Ramirez, Mark Chumra, Tom Lehman, Albert Pujols, Tony LaRussa, Greg Biffle, Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick, Tony Stewart, and Ozzie Guillen for not showing up to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave! 

In today's political climate, Presidents are constantly trying to make the rest of us believe they're like us — that they're regular guys. They are not regular guys, they run the flipping country and do not have time to worry about professional athletes. Do you really think that the President has time to watch sports on a regular basis? Why should an athlete give up a day of their off-season to attend a dinner at the White House? 

1 minute ago, siouxkid12 said:

There is nothing wrong with turning down an invite to the White House, he has every right to do so and it wasn't until the media made a big deal about him not going he finally answered them. I don't see you bashing Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Matt Birk, James Harrison, Manny Ramirez, Mark Chumra, Tom Lehman, Albert Pujols, Tony LaRussa, Greg Biffle, Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick, and Tony Stewart, Ozzie Guillen for not showing up to the 1600 Pennsylvania Ave! 

In today's political climate, Presidents are constantly trying to make the rest of us believe they're like us — that they're regular guys. They are not regular guys, they run the flipping country and do not have time to worry about professional athletes. Do you really think that the President has time to watch sports on a regular basis? Why should an athlete give up a day of their off-season to attend a dinner at the White House? 

Let's not pretend the media bashing on Thomas, and not the rest of these individuals, wasn't due to his political affiliation. I support his decision to stay away. The team aspect takes place during the season, going to the White House is nothing more than a dog and pony show for the politicians.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, snova4 said:

Let's not pretend the media bashing on Thomas, and not the rest of these individuals, wasn't due to his political affiliation. I support his decision to stay away. The team aspect takes place during the season, going to the White House is nothing more than a dog and pony show for the politicians.

Yeah. Agreed.

13 minutes ago, snova4 said:

I fully agree. My point was he told the team that he wasn't going to attend (fine by the team), the media didn't think that that answer was good enough so they pestered him tell he gave them what they wanted.

On May 18, 2016 at 3:40 PM, siouxkid12 said:

WRONG... Winning an FCS championship is a great achievement but it does not compare to winning a D1 Hockey Championship. FCS is not playing the highest level of competition like they do in hockey, hence the reason FCS is called a SUB-DIVISION.

And no, calling FCS, JV Football is not a rip on UND. When you don't play the highest level of competition, you are considered a step-below. That's just a fact...

Not knocking und hockey's accomplishments or anything but most of the hockey world would also consider ncaa hockey a step below juniors in Canada.

3 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Tim Thomas didn't make a huge spectacle about it; he wasn't being classless and he sure as heck wasn't standing on this so called "soap box". He told Peter Chiarelli in a private meeting that he wasn't going to attend, the media is the one who kept persisting the issue.

Once the media wouldn't stop Thomas made a statement, "I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People. This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government. Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL."

I stand corrected.

They would be wrong....just so very very wrong. It's...unbelievable.  I know many Canadians, not he fastest but whatever, these Canadians; all want to play NCAA hockey, all of them. Such losers, they want to talk about our short seasons, well they may want to worry about their own short things, I don't have to worry about that, again just unbelievable.  We may need another wall to keep them all out of the NCAA p, of course they'll pay everything for it. And I want a big wall not some beaver dam of colored money, I know money lots and lots of money, it should be green, and when I'm president I'll make our money green again with my face on it, it will be worth more than it says, $10 ......worth $35........$100 bill?... Easy be worth $2000. ........

Or are we not doing Trump anymore...........

5 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

They would be wrong....just so very very wrong. It's...unbelievable.  I know many Canadians, not he fastest but whatever, these Canadians; all want to play NCAA hockey, all of them. Such losers, they want to talk about our short seasons, well they may want to worry about their own short things, I don't have to worry about that, again just unbelievable.  We may need another wall to keep them all out of the NCAA p, of course they'll pay everything for it. And I want a big wall not some beaver dam of colored money, I know money lots and lots of money, it should be green, and when I'm president I'll make our money green again with my face on it, it will be worth more than it says, $10 ......worth $35........$100 bill?... Easy be worth $2000. ........

Or are we not doing Trump anymore...........

ricky bobby  - Everything Cool He Just Said You Ruined It

• Upvote 1

On May 18, 2016 at 8:55 AM, dden3 said:

Will the team be invited this summer?

Back to the original question...

not unless there is a black gay/lgbt player or coach that comes out of the closet this summer. 

Mods ----- I am willing to accept my time-out for that one. :D

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, zonadub said:

Back to the original question...

not unless there is a black gay/lgbt player or coach that comes out of the closet this summer. 

Mods ----- I am willing to accept my time-out for that one. :D

slapshots.gif

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

Not knocking und hockey's accomplishments or anything but most of the hockey world would also consider ncaa hockey a step below juniors in Canada.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...... that is the most foolish thing I have heard all week.

1. We were comparing NCAA sports, not college hockey to a different league not associated with the NCAA

2. 30% of NHL rosters are made up of players who played in the NCAA

3. the only ones that consider MAJOR JUNIORS (difference between Junior hockey and Major Juniors) a step above college hockey are the ones who run the CHL, WHL and the QMJHL

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...... that is the most foolish thing I have heard all week.

1. We were comparing NCAA sports, not college hockey to a different league not associated with the NCAA

2. 30% of NHL rosters are made up of players who played in the NHL

3. the only ones that consider MAJOR JUNIORS (difference between Junior hockey and Major Juniors) a step above college hockey are the ones who run the CHL, WHL and the QMJHL

I believe that all things considered a good NCAA team beats a good CHL team, that being said . . . it does help that our players are older.

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

2. 30% of NHL rosters are made up of players who played in the NHL

I think the other 70% is also made up of players who played in the NHL. :)

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

And NASCAR drivers believe F1 drivers are inept and F1 drivers consider NASCAR drivers incapable. 

20 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

There is nothing wrong with turning down an invite to the White House, he has every right to do so and it wasn't until the media made a big deal about him not going he finally answered them. I don't see you bashing Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Matt Birk, James Harrison, Manny Ramirez, Mark Chumra, Tom Lehman, Albert Pujols, Tony LaRussa, Greg Biffle, Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick, Tony Stewart, and Ozzie Guillen for not showing up to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave! 

Most of the people you listed are well-known right-wingers. Jordan is pretty apolitical, but I think the others are staunch conservatives. Just like Thomas.

And how do we know if POTUS does or doesn't watch sports on Air Force 1 or in the White House private residence? I am sure POTUS does that whenever he gets the chance. He hates the bubble he has to live in more than most of us could ever imagine.

36 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Most of the people you listed are well-known right-wingers. Jordan is pretty apolitical, but I think the others are staunch conservatives. Just like Thomas.

And how do we know if POTUS does or doesn't watch sports on Air Force 1 or in the White House private residence? I am sure POTUS does that whenever he gets the chance. He hates the bubble he has to live in more than most of us could ever imagine.

Harrison, says he'll skip the Super Bowl champion's visit to the White House to meet President Barack Obama on Thursday, just as he did when the Steelers were honored by President George W. Bush in June 2006.

"I don't feel the need to go, actually, I don't feel like it's that big a deal to me."

Harrison doesn't believe the invitation is all that special, saying if the Steelers hadn't beaten the Cardinals 27-23 with a last-minute rally, "He [Obama] would have invited Arizona."

You can try and spin it anyway you want but Harrison explains it the best and proves that it is just a Dog and Pony show to make it seem like the President is a regular person.