SiouxSports.com Forum

Things to do in GF

GeauxSioux

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:05 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

If he doesn't mind the short drive to Cooperstown, I strongly recommend both parts of the Ronald Reagan Minuteman Missile Site.  Also, since he is old enough to be a cold war kid, he can appreciate the numerous missile silo sites and launch control centers that still "exist" and can be spotted in one form or another throughout the region, as well as the mothballed anti-missile missile facilities near Cavalier and Nekoma, and the still operational Cavalier Air Force Station that is a fantastically curious block of stone on the prairie.  The USAF used to have open houses and let people tour, but I don't think they've had one in a while.

And if he drives up towards Cavalier, there's no excuse to miss the Pembina Gorge and the Walhalla scenic overlook.

Yah, a few hours away but gotta hit Itasca State Park and the Mississippi River head waters and beautiful Bemidji.  Duluth is also a must see and the surrounding sites around it (the falls, lighthouse, etc).

18 hours ago, Fetch said:

An amazing wreck the driver seat came out of that pretty good  - by design or Luck ?

Looking at how the passenger compartment stayed relatively intact but the rear end folded up like an accordion this must have been by design.  And in an accident like this, you have to have some luck too.  Must have gone end over end for the rear to smoosh up like that.

Simply amazing.

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Visit Nekoma. Hop the barbed wire and check out one of the most impressive concrete structures in the world.

Recommend against. They probably have laser-armed drones at the ready to take you ou....  < ZAP! > 

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Recommend against. They probably have laser-armed drones at the ready to take you ou....  < ZAP! > 

18 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's owned by the Hudarites for farming purposes now so it's more than safe.  Just went there this past February. 

Which "they" do you think I was talking about? ... ;):D

Here's the update story about the UND PD vehicle, including a photo showing the empty engine compartment.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/crime-and-courts/4038912-woman-accused-stealing-crashing-und-police-car-charged-polk-county

I ran the name "Kasandra Marie Ellis" into Google and found ...

http://neighborhoods.columbiatribune.org/boone-county-arrest-reports/detail/421172/

She seems nice ... :silly:

On 5/13/2016 at 11:05 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

If he doesn't mind the short drive to Cooperstown, I strongly recommend both parts of the Ronald Reagan Minuteman Missile Site.  Also, since he is old enough to be a cold war kid, he can appreciate the numerous missile silo sites and launch control centers that still "exist" and can be spotted in one form or another throughout the region, as well as the mothballed anti-missile missile facilities near Cavalier and Nekoma, and the still operational Cavalier Air Force Station that is a fantastically curious block of stone on the prairie.  The USAF used to have open houses and let people tour, but I don't think they've had one in a while.

And if he drives up towards Cavalier, there's no excuse to miss the Pembina Gorge and the Walhalla scenic overlook.

I have often wondered just how many warheads were targeted at Grand Forks Air Force Base by the Soviets during the Cold War. Scary to think I grew up 15 miles east of a prime target for ICBMs.

9 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I have often wondered just how many warheads were targeted at Grand Forks Air Force Base by the Soviets during the Cold War. Scary to think I grew up 15 miles east of a prime target for ICBMs.

The Cooperstown site takes you through "Oscar-Zero". That was an underground command post and launch center for a bunch of remote "Oscar" silos. (You'd see the signs along ND 200, ND 32, ND 38 for "N-33" or "M-7" or "O-10".)

I didn't grow up a mile and a half from Oscar-Zero ("O-0" on the sign out front). It was a different "-0" site just like O-0. Plus, I spent a lot of time at friend's farm just three miles from a different "-0" site.

As my dad would say, we're first to know the war is starting ... either way. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

The Cooperstown site takes you through "Oscar-Zero". That was an underground command post and launch center for a bunch of remote silos.

I didn't grow up a mile and a half from Oscar-Zero ("O-0" on the sign out front). It was a different "-0" site just like O-0 and I spent a lot of time at another farm just miles from a different "-0" site.

As my dad would say, we're first to know the war is starting ... either way. 

We wouldnt have known the the war had started the Russians have admitted Minot grand forks and Omaha where targets 1. 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 10:13 AM, dmksioux said:

If he likes music, there's the monthly "Blues on the Red" series. http://downtowngrandforks.org/happy-harrys-blues-on-the-red-concerts/  There are also other random music concerts on occasion.  There's also a newer event called "Alley Alive": https://www.facebook.com/alleyalive/.  And I haven't been to it yet, but would like to attend the concerts in the garden at the NDMOA. http://www.ndmoa.com/concerts

The greenway is always good for biking, running, roller blading, etc.

Depending on when he gets here, there is the Grand Cities Art Fest, as well as the weekly Farmer's Market.

River Cities speedway has races on the weekends.

For golfing, I really like the Larimore Course, and you stop at Larimore Dam or Turtle River State Park for fishing, bike riding, camping, etc.

Grand Cities Art Fest is in June, and the monthly Art and Wine walks start in June as well.

Grand Forks roller derby!?

If he has some time, I would make sure to take at least one trip to Winnipeg. They have a good dinner theatre (currently doing a spoof on Big Bang Theory), the Museum of Human Rights is amazing, go to a Blue Bombers game (CFL). 

In Fargo, they have the Fargo Redhawks minor league baseball team.

10 minutes ago, joeyjr said:

Grand Cities Art Fest is in June, and the monthly Art and Wine walks start in June as well.

Grand Forks roller derby!?

If he has some time, I would make sure to take at least one trip to Winnipeg. They have a good dinner theatre (currently doing a spoof on Big Bang Theory), the Museum of Human Rights is amazing, go to a Blue Bombers game (CFL). 

In Fargo, they have the Fargo Redhawks minor league baseball team.

I pinged him this morning that there was some activity on this thread, some of which was thread drift.  He was already on it.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

More of that non-sense. Seems to be the theme of the week. 

On Monday, Cheney Middle School in West Fargo and Kennedy Elementary in Grand Forks were placed in lockdown after similar threats. That was the same day that hundreds of schools across the country received phoned-in bomb threats in a practice known as "Swatting."

http://kfgo.com/news/articles/2016/may/25/bomb-threats-at-two-more-schools/

My apologies to the highly sensitive of you out there, but the person or persons that do things like this should be soundly thrashed about the head and shoulder region.