SiouxSports.com Forum

Things to do in GF

GeauxSioux

My neighbor was sent to GF to train for UAVs.  He is looking for things to do while he is there.  I told him that, unfortunately, most of the "things to do" revolve around the University, which will be idle for a few months  I already told him to see the Ralph, along with a some restaurants that I used to frequent 20+ years ago. 

He is an avid golfer, so he has been hitting the area courses, weather permitting.

Any ideas?

18 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

My neighbor was sent to GF to train for UAVs.  He is looking for things to do while he is there.  I told him that, unfortunately, most of the "things to do" revolve around the University, which will be idle for a few months  I already told him to see the Ralph, along with a some restaurants that I used to frequent 20+ years ago. 

He is an avid golfer, so he has been hitting the area courses, weather permitting.

Any ideas?

If he likes music, there's the monthly "Blues on the Red" series. http://downtowngrandforks.org/happy-harrys-blues-on-the-red-concerts/  There are also other random music concerts on occasion.  There's also a newer event called "Alley Alive": https://www.facebook.com/alleyalive/.  And I haven't been to it yet, but would like to attend the concerts in the garden at the NDMOA. http://www.ndmoa.com/concerts

The greenway is always good for biking, running, roller blading, etc.

Depending on when he gets here, there is the Grand Cities Art Fest, as well as the weekly Farmer's Market.

River Cities speedway has races on the weekends.

For golfing, I really like the Larimore Course, and you stop at Larimore Dam or Turtle River State Park for fishing, bike riding, camping, etc.

26 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

Any ideas?

May 21, Florida Georgia Line concert at the Ralph.  Not sure who they are,  but apparently popular with many

If he doesn't mind the short drive to Cooperstown, I strongly recommend both parts of the Ronald Reagan Minuteman Missile Site.  Also, since he is old enough to be a cold war kid, he can appreciate the numerous missile silo sites and launch control centers that still "exist" and can be spotted in one form or another throughout the region, as well as the mothballed anti-missile missile facilities near Cavalier and Nekoma, and the still operational Cavalier Air Force Station that is a fantastically curious block of stone on the prairie.  The USAF used to have open houses and let people tour, but I don't think they've had one in a while.

And if he drives up towards Cavalier, there's no excuse to miss the Pembina Gorge and the Walhalla scenic overlook.

• Upvote 1

I should have also mentioned Sand volleyball leagues at Bringwatt.  Great way to meet people and enjoy a week day evening.  They have leagues for all levels of players, including recreation/beginners.  Leagues run Monday-Thursday evenings.

On 5/13/2016 at 10:13 AM, dmksioux said:

If he likes music, there's the monthly "Blues on the Red" series. http://downtowngrandforks.org/happy-harrys-blues-on-the-red-concerts/  There are also other random music concerts on occasion.  There's also a newer event called "Alley Alive": https://www.facebook.com/alleyalive/.  And I haven't been to it yet, but would like to attend the concerts in the garden at the NDMOA. http://www.ndmoa.com/concerts

http://ndmoa.com/2016-concerts-in-the-garden

On 5/13/2016 at 11:05 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

If he doesn't mind the short drive to Cooperstown, I strongly recommend both parts of the Ronald Reagan Minuteman Missile Site.  Also, since he is old enough to be a cold war kid, he can appreciate the numerous missile silo sites and launch control centers that still "exist" and can be spotted in one form or another throughout the region, as well as the mothballed anti-missile missile facilities near Cavalier and Nekoma, and the still operational Cavalier Air Force Station that is a fantastically curious block of stone on the prairie.  The USAF used to have open houses and let people tour, but I don't think they've had one in a while.

And if he drives up towards Cavalier, there's no excuse to miss the Pembina Gorge and the Walhalla scenic overlook.

Cavalier Air Force Station is having an open house on June 11th. Great opportunity to see a very unique military installation

https://www.facebook.com/events/591418397701555/

• Upvote 2

On 5/13/2016 at 11:05 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I might have to go check out this stuff in Cooperstown.  My dad's a missile guy.  He could probably give a better tour than the people who do it now!

ows_146395909950307.jpg

HOLY CRAP!
I looked at that and said, "She sure made a mess of that Ford Taurus." 

That was a Ford Explorer! 

What the < bleep > do you have to do to get the engine to disengage from the vehicle and exit the engine compartment? 

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

ows_146395909950307.jpg

HOLY CRAP!
I looked at that and said, "She sure made a mess of that Ford Taurus." 

That was a Ford Explorer! 

What the < bleep > do you have to do to get the engine to disengage from the vehicle and exit the engine compartment? 

That was my first thought....I'm not a car guy so I have no idea how common that is but good gravy....

12 minutes ago, Fetch said:

An amazing wreck the driver seat came out of that pretty good  - by design or Luck ?

Those back seat passengers aren't feeling so grand. I'm thinking the front seat survived by design. That's how cars are designed these days. 

She's alive because it looks like every air bag in that thing blew. Nothing in that picture looks salvageable. 

What in the < bleep > did she hit, or hit her? Or was it raw speed and she took the nose-over-tail tour a couple times (instead of the normal barrel-roll). 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 10:02 AM, JohnboyND7 said:

It's the same as anywhere else.  Golf.  Drink.  Golf and drink.  Repeat.  How old is he?

Blow $#it up is also a thing. Hunting, fishing...