SiouxSports.com Forum

Olympic Hockey

Fetch

16 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

Check the stats. SOG, faceoff wins, time of possession.

Well, 5 power plays helped that.  Mid-way thru the 3rd, the US held a 26-20 lead in shots on goal...with 13 of those on the PP.    And I'd expect a team with 10:00 of PP time under its belt in 50:00 of action to have a big lead in time of possession, so, yea...

1 minute ago, farce poobah said:

Worst thing about this is it will be hard to fire Stauber now.

Give the guy a break....like honestly how much have the Twins played with each other the last 20 plus YEARS???:lol:

Great coaching call to not have them together in OT.....:unsure:

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Stauber?  Isn't he the inventor of the goalie training tool?  The Stau-bar?  I think the Minny goalies were wearing it backwards in practice there for a couple of years. :)

I think he's better-known as the guy who gave up the GWG to Harvard in OT in the 1989 NCAA championship game...

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

What was with the US coach? Why split the twins up in OT and then why not use them in the first 5 shooters? That’s just stupid.

USA 5th Shooter for the Win,

ME: Lamoureux is gonna win it for the US!!!! ....two seconds later...wtf.

Then I was worried he was gonna go back to Kessel. I guess I give him credit for "correcting a wrong."

That Gopher line, Kessel in particular, just played awful all tournament.  It's lucky she scored in the shootout, or I'd have been really pissed.  Even the announcers, "they need to play the twins' line more".  The Gopher line would barely shoot.  Trying to do pretty ticky tack crap. The Canadians just pushed them around. And on the shoot out, you can't just go straight at the goalie, you have to get them going side to side.  I definitely thought he should have put the twins in the first five, but I guess it worked out perfectly.  :) 

5 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Two words:  Stauber.  Minnesota.

I was equally confused why he didn't play former gopher Marvin more along with her line.  It was just strange that the Brandt, Cameranisi and Kessel line had more shifts in overtime than the Lammys, and they played on separate lines in overtime, which is odd in itself.  Had Canada scored on the giveaway by Brandt, how dumb would Stauber have looked, but that might have been the case on numerous occasions including the shootout without a Twin represented in the top 5 shooters.  As a gopher, maybe Stauber doesn't understand the concept of grit in games like these, and just thinks talent alone can win out.  Can imagine how mad the Twins would be if they lost in the shootout without having a chance to shoot.   

I agree. . . Stauber made a good decision to finally put the twins on the same line, but he should have played them on the Power Play (I don't think he did at all until the third period).  I don't know about the OT.  I'm still on the fence about splitting them up.  He should have dumped the Kessel line down to 4th in the 3rd period and rolled the other three more often. . . especially the twins' and Marvin's line. 

• Upvote 1