SiouxSports.com Forum

Olympic Hockey

Fetch

With the next Winter games being held in China I’m betting it’s another event with no NHL players.

I think USA hockey may have seen something with the level the college kids played at.  Put together a similar system to the WJC selection process and go with the best over 20 college players if it’s a no go with the NHL guys.  I’m sure a lot will depend on when the games actually take place in 2022. 

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

With the next Winter games being held in China I’m betting it’s another event with no NHL players.

I think USA hockey may have seen something with the level the college kids played at.  Put together a similar system to the WJC selection process and go with the best over 20 college players if it’s a no go with the NHL guys.  I’m sure a lot will depend on when the games actually take place in 2022. 

Bettman hasn’t said they would yet, but he has hinted to not going.

So far, Bettman is all for having a regular season game in a country not in North America.

I think of the US use the WJC team or only college players they’d get worked by teams using KHL and other pro league players. They could use more college players, but the Russians and Czechs would have crushed a team with nothing but NCAA players.

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Does Bettman realize the NHL still is a niche sport in the US with a stagnant fan base? 

I guess when you can fill rinks in FL and OH why would you want to market your product to the casual sports fan every 4 years.....................

Hey, the women had a competitive bronze medal game!  The IIHF has just announced that te field will be expanded to 20 for 2022!  

Never mind that the two semi-finalists who have played the US and Canada in the Olympics have scored a total of 2 total goals in their past four respective games and 3 in their past six...

EDITED FOR ACCURACY.

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Hey, the women had a competitive bronze medal game!  The IIHF has just announced that te field will be expanded to 20 for 2022!  

Never mind that the semi-finalists who played the US and Canada in the past two Olympics haven't scored a single goal in any of their four respective games...

Parity will set in once the Lammy sisters get done playing............in their 7th Olympics.

Watching the Canada vs Finland game with mixed emotions:

Canada losing would recreate the uproar that used to happen every four years when Canada failed to medal, from the 1970s until the NHL allowed its players to go.  That pressure is what it will take for the NHL to change its mind.  (Yeah I am boycotting the NHL for 2 weeks.)

But I would love to see Genoway get a medal.

3 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Watching the Canada vs Finland game with mixed emotions:

Canada losing would recreate the uproar that used to happen every four years when Canada failed to medal, from the 1970s until the NHL allowed its players to go.  That pressure is what it will take for the NHL to change its mind.  (Yeah I am boycotting the NHL for 2 weeks.)

But I would love to see Genoway get a medal.

Canada has already done as well as anyone could have hoped for with the lineup of journeymen that were thrown together.    A medal for Genoway would be nice, but even better would be another crack at the NHL.   Of all the players in that lineup he is the most deserving of another shot as he has been the team's most dependable D-man ( I don't think there has been a goal against with him on the ice).    Maybe Hakstol will give him a call.

• Upvote 1