SiouxSports.com Forum

Saving Private Baseball

CMSioux

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4017742-college-baseball-specifics-laid-out-keep-und-baseball-alive

So all the reasons it was logical to drop baseball are out the window if someone else pays for it? 

So many landmines here:

1. What if they raise most of the money but not all - is the raised money returned?  

2. Does the perception that baseball is a stepchild and not really something UND wanted to keep around impact recruiting and staffing? 

3. Are they going to come up with plans with every other department/major/sport that gets cut - how much to save the International Center, music therapy? 

4. What if they make the playoffs or have other unforseen expenses- will UND foot the bill for expenses not in the annual budget? 

5. Based on the fact that UND has more sports than most schools its size, that baseball is in a conference that UND has no other affiliation with, the travel costs, the annual weather issues, Is it worth it or just delaying the pain. 

These all sound pretty negative but I'm not anti-baseball, from what I read UND is trying to right-size itself for the future and baseball didn't fit into that future. 

51 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4017742-college-baseball-specifics-laid-out-keep-und-baseball-alive

So all the reasons it was logical to drop baseball are out the window if someone else pays for it? 

So many landmines here:

1. What if they raise most of the money but not all - is the raised money returned?  

2. Does the perception that baseball is a stepchild and not really something UND wanted to keep around impact recruiting and staffing? 

3. Are they going to come up with plans with every other department/major/sport that gets cut - how much to save the International Center, music therapy? 

4. What if they make the playoffs or have other unforseen expenses- will UND foot the bill for expenses not in the annual budget? 

5. Based on the fact that UND has more sports than most schools its size, that baseball is in a conference that UND has no other affiliation with, the travel costs, the annual weather issues, Is it worth it or just delaying the pain. 

These all sound pretty negative but I'm not anti-baseball, from what I read UND is trying to right-size itself for the future and baseball didn't fit into that future. 

Baseball just isn't right up here when we can have snow on the ground until Memorial Day or later. Its sad to see it go but its understandable to see it cut. We just have too many sports costing a lot of money that the school doesn't have. Cut the minor sports that generate not much or any revenue, and concentrate more $$$ on the core sports. Higher salaries, upgrading facilities, and of course rising travel expenses.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

This is ridiculous.  It should be an endowment established by fall, or it's dropped.  Seeing if they can scrounge up enough money year by year would be an ongoing soap opera that could result in donations that would otherwise go to the core sports being spent on baseball. 

If I am reading between the lines correctly, they are giving them a year or so grace period to raise initial money, all the while showing their progress towards the ultimate goal of 13 million.  Asking them to raise the full 13 million in 4 months is a little ridiculous.  

IF baseball is saved, how does it affect the future? Will recruits want to come to North Dakota only to see their program on the chopping block each year? What happens when MGR Dodson wants to leave because he is tired of the instability of the School/Progam?

For me their are just too many questions that make it worth saving. 

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

As http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4017742-college-baseball-specifics-laid-out-keep-und-baseball-alive

So many landmines here:

As a former BB letter winner, I have to agree that each point is a very legitimate concern.  Unfortunately, I think we need to pull the plug! 

37 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

If I am reading between the lines correctly, they are giving them a year or so grace period to raise initial money, all the while showing their progress towards the ultimate goal of 13 million.  Asking them to raise the full 13 million in 4 months is a little ridiculous.  

I agree expecting $13million in a few months is ridiculous.  but then again I think the entire concept is ridiculous.

From the article:

-------------

According to a document provided at the meeting, UND baseball will need to hit its fundraising benchmark each season in order to maintain the program.

For example, the team will need to raise $546,312 by Feb. 17, 2017 for the 2018 season.

The document also states “establishing an endowment is the best solution for establishing the long term stability of the program.”

-------------

I think it's fair to say you can read between the lines a couple different ways here.  Either they get an endowment established in the near future, or they struggle to fully fund an endowment, and are scratching for funds every year for eternity.

Does anyone know if there were significant donations made specific to baseball in past years?   And if not, why does it seem likely to see a huge influx of baseball only donations now?

7 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I think it's fair to say you can read between the lines a couple different ways here.  Either they get an endowment established in the near future, or they struggle to fully fund an endowment, and are scratching for funds every year for eternity.

Does anyone know if there were significant donations made specific to baseball in past years?   And if not, why does it seem likely to see a huge influx of baseball only donations now?

For the 2014 season, baseball specific donations totaled $9,000.

http://www.undsports.com/fls/13500/Athletic%20Dept/BusOps/FY%202014%20NCAA%20AUP.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=13500 - Page 11

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

So many landmines here:

I would ask the athletic director.

He has some really good insight in that link.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I see they need roughly a half million by August 30 and another half million by February 2017. Quite frankly, I just don't see it happening unless there is some great unknown sugar daddy.

Dave St Peter?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Dave St Peter?

Dave is Twins management, not Twins money. 

11 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

They will be fine raising the funds for the next 2 years.

I'm more concerned about their long term plan...

You are more confident than I am.

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Devil's Advocate time:

If Shanks is doing that is giving fuel to the anti-FCOA crowd. They'll say it's a sign that the athletes don't need it. 

Well...they don't.  They haven't had it up to this point...