SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

Michigan State has proved they don't care about hockey, Tom Anastos was given a contract extension until 2019-20.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/football/2016/06/14/msu-board-vote-permanent-lights-spartan-stadium/85885940/

13 minutes ago, Goon said:

I think that he's doing a wonderful job at MSU.

You forgot this:

:D :0 :p :lol:

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Boston U now with 4 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder. What's going on there? I can understand recruits liking the Boston area, but how does BC not end up with any of them? I don't want to accuse them of anything, but something seems off.

After the #1s, how do we feel about this class in comparison to other schools in the country.  As has been mentioned, BU has 4 first rounders and a 2nd rounder.  Are we keeping up with the best?  - Not suggesting we aren't, but asking for opinions.

15 minutes ago, Irish said:

After the #1s, how do we feel about this class in comparison to other schools in the country.  As has been mentioned, BU has 4 first rounders and a 2nd rounder.  Are we keeping up with the best?  - Not suggesting we aren't, but asking for opinions.

It was going to be hard to maintain the level of our defense, but I feel like that's where we are seeing the biggest drop off in number of drafted players. With how prior 1st round UND defenseman have struggled to make the nhl in recent years (Finley, Forbort, Schmaltz) i hope we aren't getting a bad reputation. Scares me a bit. 

13 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It was going to be hard to maintain the level of our defense, but I feel like that's where we are seeing the biggest drop off in number of drafted players. With how prior 1st round UND defenseman have struggled to make the nhl in recent years (Finley, Forbort, Schmaltz) i hope we aren't getting a bad reputation. Scares me a bit. 

We haven't really had any luck with 1st round defencemen in the last number of years. Seems like the late rounders have been better for us, Schmaltz was good but we're not hearing much about him but I guess in some cases that's a good thing. Hopefully Stetcher can tear the AHL up then the NHL!

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

We had the best defense in all of college hockey last year by a decent margin IMO, and not a single 1st rounder among them.
That said, BU's incoming class is easily the best in the nation this year, and probably one of the best recruiting classes of all time.

The flip side of that is that not all of them will adjust to college hockey as easily as Boeser or Connor did this year.  Keller is certainly the real deal and will have a monster year.  BU will have a good team next year but the negative for them is that they better hope they win it all in 16/17 because at least half of their studs will be gone after one season.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Irish said:

It's hard to compared to the BU class. That might be the best class ever in college hockey.  They will be a top 5 team next year for sure, whatever Quinn is selling recruits love it. Are we keeping up?  Of course, if we can average every year or so a top 1st round or pick, plus role players to develop we are building the program right.    The UND program effect also gets 1 or 2 more years then a normal program would get. 

Nowdays, having one and dones in hockey only take you so far and without the depth players (3-4 years) your rebuilding every other year. 

BU Draft class is epic....and yes not to diss Quinn, Quinn is doing a great job, Bahhstan....is an attractive area....

but YES the Eichel effect was huge.....and will help them for years, think of our Toews effect.....still recruits are saying they learned of UND by seeing Toews had went there.

21 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Boston U now with 4 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder. What's going on there? I can understand recruits liking the Boston area, but how does BC not end up with any of them? I don't want to accuse them of anything, but something seems off.

It's Quinn their coach. Phenomenal recruiter.  Got 1-2 kids and the rest followed.  Bu has been awesome at recruiting lately.  They'll need to keep Keller and bellows for two years to win a natty though.  I doubt they'll get it done this year being such a young team.  You never know though.

20 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Schmaltz was in the A for his first year, I wouldn't lump him in with Finley not Forbort just yet.

• Upvote 3

On 6/26/2016 at 6:10 AM, scpa0305 said:

It's Quinn their coach. Phenomenal recruiter.  Got 1-2 kids and the rest followed.  Bu has been awesome at recruiting lately.  They'll need to keep Keller and bellows for two years to win a natty though.  I doubt they'll get it done this year being such a young team.  You never know though.

What was the average age of the team that won it this year?:D

• Upvote 2

On June 26, 2016 at 8:10 AM, scpa0305 said:

It will be interesting to see if all of them make it to BU. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

DU coach Jim Montgomery signs new 5-year contract with DU. Story below.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/28/jim-montgomery-contract-denver-pioneers-hockey-coach/

Maine alum and administration are kicking themselves now for not taking a serious look at Montgomery.  It's harder and harder to hate DU with a classy guy like Montgomery at the helm.   Gwoz on the other hand.....

• Upvote 1