SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

It's funny to watch Adam Wodon react to the conference tournaments going back to campus sites and his need to defend his position on the NCAA tournament staying at sites where no fans show up.  Red Berenson said that they have important games being played in front of nobody at the conference tournament, but some people think it is o.k. to play even more important games in front of nobody.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, tnt said:

It's funny to watch Adam Wodon react to the conference tournaments going back to campus sites and his need to defend his position on the NCAA tournament staying at sites where no fans show up.  Red Berenson said that they have important games being played in front of nobody at the conference tournament, but some people think it is o.k. to play even more important games in front of nobody.

Yeah, Adam gets pretty freaked out about the possibility of the NCAA's going back to campus.

I expect Adam and others will be trumpeting the Bob Daniels argument that going on campus for conference playoffs will actually help the NCAA neutral site regionals.  Fans won't have just finished traveling one weekend, only to have to travel the next to the regionals.  Not a great argument, imho, since only one team ultimately gets to stay home for the entirety of the conference playoffs if played on campus.  Daniels is basically acknowledging that fans of visiting teams aren't expected to travel to campus sites for the conference playoff games.

The real problem regarding regional attendance is the fact that you just don't know where your team is going to play until less than one week before NCAA's start (unless your team is a host).  Unless you are BC, you are likely going to be sent to some far flung locale where it costs you $1000 to get a flight just one week in advance.  That's the problem Adam refuses to acknowledge. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

Yeah, Adam gets pretty freaked out about the possibility of the NCAA's going back to campus.

I expect Adam and others will be trumpeting the Bob Daniels argument that going on campus for conference playoffs will actually help the NCAA neutral site regionals.  Fans won't have just finished traveling one weekend, only to have to travel the next to the regionals.  Not a great argument, imho, since only one team ultimately gets to stay home for the entirety of the conference playoffs if played on campus.  Daniels is basically acknowledging that fans of visiting teams aren't expected to travel to campus sites for the conference playoff games.

The real problem regarding regional attendance is the fact that you just don't know where your team is going to play until less than one week before NCAA's start (unless your team is a host).  Unless you are BC, you are likely going to be sent to some far flung locale where it costs you $1000 to get a flight just one week in advance.  That's the problem Adam refuses to acknowledge. 

... and for UND fans, are you going to invest in that, or are you going to hold out the hope the team will make it to the Frozen Four and spend your time and money there instead.

On May 18, 2016 at 7:10 AM, tnt said:

I don't get the theory that this is a disadvantage to "small" schools.  If Lake Superior State wins the WCHA title or Maine wins Hockey East, wouldn't the local fans LOVE having 2, 4, or up to a possible 7 more HOME GAMES to attend?  

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, tnt said:

... and for UND fans, are you going to invest in that, or are you going to hold out the hope the team will make it to the Frozen Four and spend your time and money there instead.

Yeah, I've been to one regional EVER and I only went because it was at the X. I've been to 4 Frozen Four's on the other hand. So you can imagine where this UND fan's head is at, and I know many that feel the same.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

I don't get the theory that this is a disadvantage to "small" schools.  If Lake Superior State wins the WCHA title or Maine wins Hockey East, wouldn't the local fans LOVE having 2, 4, or up to a possible 7 more HOME GAMES to attend?  

Yeah, I've never really understood the argument. 

To me, the only argument in favor of the current regional format is the upset possibility created by the one and done component.  I suppose there is some added excitement in the tournament created by that.

But from a pure "fairness" standpoint, there is no question that the on campus set-up is the most fair.  It rewards the team that has earned it throughout the season.

Most of the time the regionals haven't created an unfair match-up.  But situations like Miami playing at UNH and Providence, as a #1 seed, us having to go to Yost in 1998, etc..., should make it worth looking at campus sites, especially with the attendance issues the regionals have experienced.

Daniels example of Ferris playing at Mariucci in 2003 is a joke.  First, Minnesota was the higher seed that year.  Second, I was at that game.  I don't care if they played that game at an outdoor rink in Vermont, there is no way Ferris was going to beat that Minnesota team. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 7:10 AM, tnt said:

Adam is the one actively leading the charge to not change the current format. My question is, why wouldn't he want to see a team have to travel to Cornell to play a regional series? Makes no sense to me at all. People are afraid they'd have to play UND in the REA. Fargo might even have a bigger advantage.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Goon said:

Adam is the one actively leading the charge to not change the current format. My question is, why wouldn't he want to see a team have to travel to Cornell to play a regional series? Makes no sense to me at all. People are afraid they'd have to play UND in the REA. Fargo might even have a bigger advantage.  

The ironic part is that for North Dakota, Minnesota, and Boston College, the current system will favor them most, because they always seem to be the ones to outbid the other places.  If the NCAA wanted to really be fair, the regionals would rotate without regard to dollar amount, but they only want to be fair to a certain amount.  So why not be fair and make more money?  Teams that earn the right to host on campus seems fair to me.  

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Well, Edina, Minnetonka, and Benilde-St Margaret's were all busy that weekend, so...

I don't think the Gofs would schedule Edina; they might be a little strong for Lucia-pets crew right now. ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Mariucci Classic opponents: UMass, Mercyhurst, and UAH.

Quite the field...

This tourament is poison for them. Goofy loses even one game in the classic and their RPI plummets.  Winning two won't do much to improve it. Does anyone expect it be well attended?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/20/2016 at 7:34 AM, squirtcoach said:

This tourament is poison for them. Goofy loses even one game in the classic and their RPI plummets.  Winning two won't do much to improve it. Does anyone expect it be well attended?

No, but they will sell all the tickets and make a lot of money.  Gotta milk the cash cow.

The Omaha fans will be happy that their team will wear their white jerseys at home. Now they can't bitch about loosing on their jerseys.

http://www.nchchockey.com/news_article/show/652141?referrer_id=878553

Jersey Colors – During the 2015-16 season, the NCHC experimented with having home teams wear dark-colored jerseys during the second half of the regular season. With much of our fan feedback stating they liked seeing various visiting team colors in their home venue, the Athletic Council voted to return to wearing white or light-colored jerseys for all home games in 2016-17.

4 hours ago, cberkas said:

The Omaha fans will be happy that their team will wear their white jerseys at home. Now they can't bitch about loosing on their jerseys.

http://www.nchchockey.com/news_article/show/652141?referrer_id=878553

I like that they are looking at getting nchc TV on Roku and other platforms.  That would be a great improvement.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

I like that they are looking at getting nchc TV on Roku and other platforms.  That would be a great improvement.

Same here. I've been extremely frustrated not being able to use my Chromecast with my subscription to NCHC. 

• Upvote 2