SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

5 minutes ago, hky said:

Anybody else get email today from the NCAA about Frozen Four tickets?  Apparently, lots available.  Good tickets too.

Yeah, they said some team allotments were returned.  Hard to believe that a team wouldn't be able to sell their allotment.

I suspected crowds would be down.  This is  pro and B1g town.  Cost here is high for hotels, restaurants, and bars.  UC is not in a great area.  Living in the Chicago area I have not seen much publicity at all.  No mention in the Tribune. 

8 minutes ago, terbele said:

I suspected crowds would be down.  This is  pro and B1g town.  Cost here is high for hotels, restaurants, and bars.  UC is not in a great area.  Living in the Chicago area I have not seen much publicity at all.  No mention in the Tribune. 

This is why I love the Tampa FF so much. The city really embraces and advertises the Frozen Four week. It feels like it's a big deal to them where as in a place like Chicago it seems to get lost in the shuffle as just another hockey tournament.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

This is why I love the Tampa FF so much. The city really embraces and advertises the Frozen Four week. It feels like it's a big deal to them where as in a place like Chicago it seems to get lost in the shuffle as just another hockey tournament.

I'd go more often even if UND wasn't a participant if it was held in Tampa more often. Next year at the X I'll go just because of convenience.

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Plus UC has all those hostile and abusive BH logos.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, terbele said:

I live in the city. I've seen a few ads on tv but really nothing else promoting the Frozen Four. There is quite a Norte Dame following here but I don't know if the fans will come out to support the hockey team. 

You're right this city is all about the Big Ten and attendance would be better if a Michigan school or Wisconsin made it... but who am I kidding!

15 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Got the email too. Mine also included, if F4 tickets were purchased, a coupon for one free ER visit for any type of gun shot wound. 

Don't head west. Area gets lousy rather quickly. Head east to the expensive downtown area.

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Mike Gabinet is the new head coach at Omaha.

I think they really wasted a chance to build off of what Blais started. 

Underwhelming selection. 

I'd heard whispers about money issues at UNO. I wonder if he wasn't a fiscally responsible option. 

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Underwhelming selection. 

I'd heard whispers about money issues at UNO. I wonder if he wasn't a fiscally responsible option. 

The money issue is $50 million budget cut for all of the Nebraska system.

29 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Underwhelming selection. 

May appear underwhelming now, but then again, many people said the same thing when they hired assistant coach Gino Gasparini.  Usually you don't hire an assistant coach if things aren't going well, but Gasparini became the cog in turning the program around and to our current success with the litany of coaches that followed.  By the way, I know you know this, but just saying the results will tell the tale. 

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

May appear underwhelming now, but then again, many people said the same thing when they hired assistant coach Gino Gasparini.  Usually you don't hire an assistant coach if things aren't going well, but Gasparini became the cog in turning the program around and to our current success with the litany of coaches that followed.  By the way, I know you know this, but just saying the results will tell the tale. 

Did Gino have more then 1 year coaching as a head coach?