SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

3 hours ago, bale31 said:

Holy crap. These guys have a serious persecution complex. Only big ten hockey teams could have the best funding, excellent facilities, their own tv network, and every other advantage you can think of and still complain oabout how the deck is stacked against them. They are quickly moving from being disliked to having a collective eye roll every time they talk.

It's like they think their sh$t don't stink mixed in with cry babies and arrogance all at the same time!

Tom Anastos resigned as Michigan State's head coach today.  

That's the fourth coaching opening of the season - RPI, Niagara, and Northern Michigan will be filling vacancies as well.  Some good opportunities for young coaches to get their feet wet as the head guy.  Will be interesting to see who winds up someplace else next season.  I'm thinking Mike Guentzel would at least listen to Michigan State if they call - unless he wants to hang around another decade being the lady-in-waiting at Minnesota.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

That's the fourth coaching opening of the season - RPI, Niagara, and Northern Michigan will be filling vacancies as well.  Some good opportunities for young coaches to get their feet wet as the head guy.  Will be interesting to see who winds up someplace else next season.  I'm thinking Mike Guentzel would at least listen to Michigan State if they call - unless he wants to hang around another decade being the lady-in-waiting at Minnesota.  

Omaha

On 3/20/2017 at 3:06 PM, southpaw said:

And you're going up against one of the hottest defensive teams in the nation.  If WMU gets to 3 goals, they win as AF doesn't have the offensive firepower.  But Shane Starett could easily lead them to the Frozen Four.

fortunately we played airforce twice already, scoring 5 and 4 goals in the two games. 

On 3/20/2017 at 4:14 PM, The Sicatoka said:

What's the status of the two WMU forwards that didn't play at Target? 

That's going to be huge for WMU. 

No word, but i'm sure that Dries (captain) plays.  He played in game 3 vs Omaha.  I think Andy knew the frozen faceoff wasn't that important big picture and let him rest those games. 

17 minutes ago, ubish said:

No word, but i'm sure that Dries (captain) plays.  He played in game 3 vs Omaha.  I think Andy knew the frozen faceoff wasn't that important big picture and let him rest those games. 

That was my suspicion. Andy is smart enough to know getting his guys healthy for the NCAAs was more important. 

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Omaha

FIFTH!

9 minutes ago, ubish said:

Yeah.... We're 0-5 all time. Hoping to make that 4-5 after this year, or at least 2-6

Well, it's not so bad, we've lost five times too ... wai-wha? 

You mean in the NCAA tourney?

I thought you meant championship games. ;) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MissSioux85 said:

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Tom Anastos shouldn't have been hired in the first place, He couldn't coach Michigan State's club teams let alone the D1 team.

I bet they are trying to beat Michigan to hiring Danton Cole.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Tom Anastos shouldn't have been hired in the first place, He couldn't coach Michigan State's club teams let alone the D1 team.

Agree on Anastos - totally overwhelmed in East Lansing.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

Is that the same Danton Cole that played for MSU against the Sioux in the 1987 title game?

21 hours ago, ubish said:

fortunately we played airforce twice already, scoring 5 and 4 goals in the two games. 

That familiarity does help, but if you take a look at the four games on either side of that matchup, AF was giving up 3.2 goals per game.  

If you look at the last 10 Air Force games, they're giving up 1.2 goals per game and 4 of those 10 games have been shutouts.  Quite a different team and why they have just two losses in their last 17 games.

16 hours ago, cberkas said:

The rumor is he likes coaching high school hockey.

He's coached at the D1 level and been successful.  If he invested well, he may be financially secure.   Under those circumstances, I can see why he might feel that way. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

That familiarity does help, but if you take a look at the four games on either side of that matchup, AF was giving up 3.2 goals per game.  

If you look at the last 10 Air Force games, they're giving up 1.2 goals per game and 4 of those 10 games have been shutouts.  Quite a different team and why they have just two losses in their last 17 games.

No doubt they are playing better defensively, but I would guess Western can say the same thing.  The highest ranked pairwise team they played in those 17 games was at 25, and they didn't beat them.  Definitely no time to overlook anybody though because upsets happen quite frequently. 

• Upvote 1