SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

22 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

So what the happened to the WCHA? They were never the NCHC of Hockey East, but they've been sending a fair amount of teams to the NCAA tournament since the conferences split apart. This year they'll only be sending their tournament champion.

Conversely, what the happened to the Big Ten?

The non-conference schedule happened. Kato is the only team that played well in nonconference and ended with a 4-2 record. Bemidji was AWFUL in nonconference, but was a different team in the conference. They had the league wrapped up with 2 weeks left. The conference was worse non conf than the AHA. 

The reality is that if your conference sucks against all other conferences, no one has a shot at an at large bid.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, bale31 said:

The non-conference schedule happened. Kato is the only team that played well in nonconference and ended with a 4-2 record. Bemidji was AWFUL in nonconference, but was a different team in the conference. They had the league wrapped up with 2 weeks left. The conference was worse non conf than the AHA. 

The reality is that if your conference sucks against all other conferences, no one has a shot at an at large bid.

I get that. I guess I was just surprised at how poorly they did out of conference.

8 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I get that. I guess I was just surprised at how poorly they did out of conference.

To an extent, I am too. I think this is the future of the WCHA for the next few years though. Too many schools that aren't truly committed and those that are had some pretty big losses from last year until this year. Next year I suspect bsu will drop off significantly and msu and mtu will dominate. There will be a surprise team, but I would expect teams 4-10 to perform much the same as this year.

In fairness though, if bsu, mtu and bgsu play like they did in conference all the time, that non conference record looks a lot better. They aren't as bad of teams as their records indicate. Non-conference just means so much when you only have 6 games. You can afford one or two teams to lay eggs, but not 9 of 10 and that happened this year.

• Upvote 1

Minnesota leads Michigan 2-1

Wisconsin and Penn State tied 1-1

Michigan State leads Ohio State 4-0 Yes this is really the score.

Michigan Tech leads LSSU 4-2

Western Michigan leads Duluth 2-0

Providence leads UMass 1-0

Vermont leads Maine 2-0

Merrimack leads UNH 2-0

Northeastern leads UConn 1-0

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Minnesota leads Michigan 2-1

Wisconsin and Penn State tied 1-1

Michigan State leads Ohio State 4-0 Yes this is really the score.

Michigan Tech leads LSSU 4-2

Western Michigan leads Duluth 2-0

Providence leads UMass 1-0

Vermont leads Maine 2-0

UConn leads UNH 2-0

Holy crap Western!