SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

7 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

First, he's a Gopher fan in Grand Forks.  Second, he wants to bad-mouth hockey.  If the moving vans haven't already packed up GFG's stuff for his move to the big city, I think it's time for someone to Molotov-cocktail his house.  :lol:

3 month old post....someone's bored. :D

59 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

The more and more I think about it, I would rather have BG and Mank. in the NCHC.  

The NCHC isn't going to add teams just to get to 10.  If they're going to expand, it's going to be ASU and one more.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

The NCHC isn't going to add teams just to get to 10.  If they're going to expand, it's going to be ASU and one more.  

Here is a hypothetical situation, what if they don't add ASU, say ASU fails to get a new arena deal inked by October. but BGSU applies for membership in the NCHC, Would they  Add both MNSU and BGSU?

10 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Here is a hypothetical situation, what if they don't add ASU, say ASU fails to get a new arena deal inked by October. but BGSU applies for membership in the NCHC, Would they  Add both MNSU and BGSU?

No.  There isn't a big benefit to just adding Mankato and BG.  The NCHC wants the prestige of ASU (not the hockey team, the university). They don't want to be at 9, so they'll take one more team.

There is no reason to go to 10 without ASU as part of the mix.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

And the hits keep on comin' at CC. There have been a slug of departures and transfers since Haviland took over. I'm sure some are legit (like Emilio and Marble) but there have been so many players who've left that the pattern is becoming concerning.

http://m.gazette.com/marble-emilio-leave-tigers-hockey-program/article/1581131

Emilio is staying at CC buy not playing hockey, that's not a ringing endorsement for the coach or state of the program.

How many years does Haviland have left at the current win % and rate of attrition?

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Emilio is staying at CC buy not playing hockey, that's not a ringing endorsement for the coach or state of the program.

How many years does Haviland have left at the current win % and rate of attrition?

If he's staying at the school it's likely he can afford to be there either way and wasn't ready for the student athlete lifestyle.  Happens often in other college sports (less so in D-1) with higher socio-economic background students.  He will be the MAN in intramurals!

That said it's too bad CC is struggling.  Feels like them beating us in the last Final Five semis was a generation ago.

4 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Emilio was hurt and missed several games down the stretch so I'm kinda wondering if he left the team but still staying enrolled at school as a sign that it has more to do with his health and well-being than it does any problems with the coaching staff. If it was the latter, chances are he's leave school too. That said, there has been a rather high number of players who've left the program during Haviland's tenure which is concerning. Just off the top of my head, Chase Perry (son of former UND goalie Craig Perry) went on to play in Canada and Garrett Cecere transferred to Northeastern.

Personally, as a season ticket holder and friends with other fans, it's not so much how many wins they need to have this season but the quality of play on the ice, which was seriously lacking last three seasons (one of which was under Owens). Winning more than 6 games this year certainly must be a threshold Haviland needs to eclipse to convince fans that he's leading the program in the right direction. It'll be difficult though considering how many freshmen and sophomores will be on this year's squad. My hope is that the sophomores are physically more mature and mentally battle tested after what they went through last year as freshmen. 

On 7/22/2016 at 0:12 PM, NoDakFan said:

If the NCHC gets ASU and the choice between Kato and BGU I bet they add BGU. Its a bigger, more well known University *and* has won a D1 title. Plus it will appease Miami and WMU. 

I am sorry, but I simply fail to understand the attraction of ASU hockey.  I can't see how it could ever be anything other than a niche sport at ASU.  If someone can provide me with some rational reasons why adding ASU would be good for the NCHC I am willing to reconsider.  But simply basing it on the hope that other PAC 12 schools will add hockey doesn't quite do it.  Hockey would be nothing but a minor unsupported niche sport at most of those schools as well.  I personally would not mind seeing Bowling Green and Mankato in the NCHC.  Both of them have some history with NCHC teams so it isn't like they are something new from scratch.  I don't think that it is good for the WCHA to lose either one or both of those schools.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

I am sorry, but I simply fail to understand the attraction of ASU hockey.  I can't see how it could ever be anything other than a niche sport at ASU.  If someone can provide me with some rational reasons why adding ASU would be good for the NCHC I am willing to reconsider.  But simply basing it on the hope that other PAC 12 schools will add hockey doesn't quite do it.  Hockey would be nothing but a minor unsupported niche sport at most of those schools as well.  I personally would not mind seeing Bowling Green and Mankato in the NCHC.  Both of them have some history with NCHC teams so it isn't like they are something new from scratch.  I don't think that it is good for the WCHA to lose either one or both of those schools.

$$$

ASU is a big school. Whether or not it is a "niche" sport doesn't matter. The student population there is so big niche doesn't really apply. Then you have to consider in the big scheme of things, smaller teams and schools get to say they're playing big name teams like ASU and whoever to attract more average fans. The hope is also that the ASU athletic department would it make it worthwhile (and prove they are willing to make sure hockey tries to be a non "niche" sport on campus) by packaging deals in other athletic events if not jsut cash sums. 

And of course like you mention, PAC12 hockey. Even if they go to form their own leauge, the NCHC will have a pretty substantial buyout in place. Or else youre getting some big name shcools. And with such a cost prohibitive sport like hockey, AD's arent going to try to make it a half-assed jump and are going to try to make sure their school is relevant (See PSU.) 

And something else to think about is, besides geography what does Mankato bring to the NCHC? Not name brand recognition. Not previous NCAA success. 

1 hour ago, NoDakFan said:

$$$

ASU is a big school. Whether or not it is a "niche" sport doesn't matter. The student population there is so big niche doesn't really apply. Then you have to consider in the big scheme of things, smaller teams and schools get to say they're playing big name teams like ASU and whoever to attract more average fans. The hope is also that the ASU athletic department would it make it worthwhile (and prove they are willing to make sure hockey tries to be a non "niche" sport on campus) by packaging deals in other athletic events if not jsut cash sums. 

And of course like you mention, PAC12 hockey. Even if they go to form their own leauge, the NCHC will have a pretty substantial buyout in place. Or else youre getting some big name shcools. And with such a cost prohibitive sport like hockey, AD's arent going to try to make it a half-assed jump and are going to try to make sure their school is relevant (See PSU.) 

And something else to think about is, besides geography what does Mankato bring to the NCHC? Not name brand recognition. Not previous NCAA success. 

Actually, since their coaching change, Mankato has been greatly improved (just ask Minnesota).  I just don't think the NCHC is going to have much leverage with ASU.  UND already sells out most games so they don't add much income and would likely add travel expense.  But you may be right.  A while ago I would have agreed with you that PSU was a good example, but now I am beginning to wonder if their bubble has burst.  They have hit a plateau.  The experience of the Big 6 makes me wonder about giving up traditional rivals and the impact, although adding ASU obviously would not have that impact.  Time will tell, but do we need to wait a short time or a long time to find out?

10 hours ago, Siouxman said:

Actually, since their coaching change, Mankato has been greatly improved (just ask Minnesota).  I just don't think the NCHC is going to have much leverage with ASU.  UND already sells out most games so they don't add much income and would likely add travel expense.  But you may be right.  A while ago I would have agreed with you that PSU was a good example, but now I am beginning to wonder if their bubble has burst.  They have hit a plateau.  The experience of the Big 6 makes me wonder about giving up traditional rivals and the impact, although adding ASU obviously would not have that impact.  Time will tell, but do we need to wait a short time or a long time to find out?

ASU won't start up hockey just to drop it in a couple years. It would be a new, consistent form of income for the NCHC. It doesn't take much for the conference to make money during the quarterfinals. 

Additionally, you have 60+ million more potential TV viewers on the PAC12 network. That's a lot of people in an untapped market that could come to associate good college hockey with the NCHC. 

10 hours ago, Siouxman said:

A while ago I would have agreed with you that PSU was a good example, but now I am beginning to wonder if their bubble has burst.  They have hit a plateau.

Hyperbole, much?

'12-'13     13-14, independent, ranked 47th nationwide in attendance

'13-'14     8-26-2, 6th place B1G, ranked 8th nationwide in attendance (brand new arena)

'14-'15     18-15-4, 4th place B1G, ranked 7th nationwide in attendance

'15-'16     21-13-4, 3rd place B1G, ranked 7th nationwide in attendance, ranked 22nd in final USCHO poll

Four D1 seasons, one transition year in a brand new league, two consecutive seasons of marked improvements in on-ice performance.

Sioux fans have quite the warped view of success.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Hyperbole, much?

'12-'13     13-14, independent, ranked 47th nationwide in attendance

'13-'14     8-26-2, 6th place B1G, ranked 8th nationwide in attendance (brand new arena)

'14-'15     18-15-4, 4th place B1G, ranked 7th nationwide in attendance

'15-'16     21-13-4, 3rd place B1G, ranked 7th nationwide in attendance, ranked 22nd in final USCHO poll

Four D1 seasons, one transition year in a brand new league, two consecutive seasons of marked improvements in on-ice performance.

Sioux fans have quite the warped view of success.

On the surface I agree with you, but this is the B1G we are talking about.  :cool:

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Adding ASU would help draw fans to other NCHC teams.

Denver would likely get a nice attendance bump when ASU came to town vs Western Michigan or Mankato.

Then Denver will implement a new ticket policy that you need to purchase tickets for the Miami and W Mich games for the next 6 seasons if you want the tickets for the game you actually care about.

• Upvote 1

There may be some good reasons for taking ASU in, but assuming that Denver (a town that's 820 miles away) is going to cause an attendance bump can't be a legitimate argument.

TV-maybe

Name recognition- probably

Large school with money- absolUtley

More Pac12 schols- possible but unlikely

Attendance bump for Denver- Not a chance

• Upvote 1