SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

So he sits out one year and then plays in 2017-18? I wonder what he'll bring to the Bulldogs?

He did pretty good his last two years in juniors.

In 59 games 22-32-54 with Aberdeen Wings.

In 60 games 26-41-67 with Waterloo Blackhawks.

5 hours ago, cberkas said:

Looks like Arizona State is going to the NCHC or WCHA.

Fenton has been very quiet on this all year, so he might know something and it could be already a done deal that Arizona State is going to the NCHC. That's just my thought on where they will end up. 

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/04/25/arizona-st-hockey-big-ten-wcha-nchc/

I think that the WCHA is the best fit for Arizona St. (for now).  Sure NCHC fans are all excited to have the Sun Devils in the conference so they can take trips to AZ in the summer.  But from a purely hockey standpoint, they are not a good fit for the NCHC.  I get the big school name aspect, but I always like that the NCHC schools put hockey as a #1 priority in their athletic program.  At Arizona St., that is not the case.  Having them in the WCHA would help out that league tremendously which would be great for college hockey as a whole.  And I am all for that.  But for now, I believe the Sun Devils are a better fit in the WCHA.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I think that the WCHA is the best fit for Arizona St. (for now).  Sure NCHC fans are all excited to have the Sun Devils in the conference so they can take trips to AZ in the summer.  But from a purely hockey standpoint, they are not a good fit for the NCHC.  I get the big school name aspect, but I always like that the NCHC schools put hockey as a #1 priority in their athletic program.  At Arizona St., that is not the case.  Having them in the WCHA would help out that league tremendously which would be great for college hockey as a whole.  And I am all for that.  But for now, I believe the Sun Devils are a better fit in the WCHA.

I agree they are definitely a better fit talent wise for the WCHA, but being so close to Denver the NCHC makes sense.   I'd like the NCHC to add a minimum of 2 teams, ideally 4.   My ideal NCHC would be:

UND, Denver, SCSU, West Mich, Miami, UMD, CC, Omaha........(bring back old WCHA rivals) Minn State, Mich Tech, Bemidji State....   Air Force (perfect fit with CO rivals).  

I just don't see how Arizona State (having no arena from my understanding) and no tradition or history is something that the NCHC wants to add. Why not add historical rivals that have tradition and make sense travel wise.

10 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

I agree they are definitely a better fit talent wise for the WCHA, but being so close to Denver the NCHC makes sense.   I'd like the NCHC to add a minimum of 2 teams, ideally 4.   My ideal NCHC would be:

UND, Denver, SCSU, West Mich, Miami, UMD, CC, Omaha........(bring back old WCHA rivals) Minn State, Mich Tech, Bemidji State....   Air Force (perfect fit with CO rivals).  

I just don't see how Arizona State (having no arena from my understanding) and no tradition or history is something that the NCHC wants to add. Why not add historical rivals that have tradition and make sense travel wise.

I think ASU is too easy to get to for UND and Denver to turn down, plus add in the bigger name. Hockey may not be number one at ASU, but with Arizona's attempts to really hold on to the 'yotes and hockey growing in Arizona (especially due to northern alumni) I think it does make sense. I also don't think it is unreasonable to think that ASU could make the NCAA hockey tournament in several years, even in the NCHC. And let's be honest, they are never sniffing the FBS playoff and major bowl games are doubtful. The basketball team would be lucky to crack the sweet 16, even their baseball team has fallen off. They WANT hockey to succeed. 

As for adding other schools, we need to get Bowling Green or somebody for Miami since I don't see Ohio University or the Bearcats going D1 anytime soon.  

Another Michiganish team would be nice for WMU.

I'm open for discussion on the fourth team or waiting to see who adds in the next couple years.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, joeyjr said:

And let's be honest, they are never sniffing the FBS playoff and major bowl games are doubtful.

I think you are underselling their football team a little bit.  They have won the PAC12 in the past decade (2007) and they were in the Sun Bowl (3rd best team in PAC12/ACC) just 2 years ago.  They have made a bowl game each of the last 5 years and even though they had a down year last year they do seem to be in a pretty good situation going forward.

32 minutes ago, OshieRoll said:

I think you are underselling their football team a little bit.  They have won the PAC12 in the past decade (2007) and they were in the Sun Bowl (3rd best team in PAC12/ACC) just 2 years ago.  They have made a bowl game each of the last 5 years and even though they had a down year last year they do seem to be in a pretty good situation going forward.

Our ideas of major bowls may differ. The Ag school would have had a chance of beating them the last five years and probably would have at least once. Though being consistently in the top three of the PAC12 is nothing to scoff at, there are a heap of teams on top of the mountain that they will never top. Some years, they are maybe squeaking in the top 20. Even if they are considered major bowls, I think winning a game or two in the national hockey tournament would look really good stacked up to the Holiday/Cactus/Sun/etc Bowl

• Upvote 1

Sure ASU is a big name and I have many family members who are not only UND grads but also ASU grads but what do they really bring to the table from a hockey standpoint.  I disagree that they will be in the NCAA tournament in a few years like one poster mentioned. 

18 minutes ago, joeyjr said:

Our ideas of major bowls may differ. The Ag school would have had a chance of beating them the last five years and probably would have at least once. Though being consistently in the top three of the PAC12 is nothing to scoff at, there are a heap of teams on top of the mountain that they will never top. Some years, they are maybe squeaking in the top 20. Even if they are considered major bowls, I think winning a game or two in the national hockey tournament would look really good stacked up to the Holiday/Cactus/Sun/etc Bowl

In Arizona and most of the rest of the country, they wouldn't be comparable as hockey doesn't even register on the scale compared to PAC12 football.

As for the rest, IF the NCHC chooses to expand right now (I'm not so sure it should anymore) it should be with AZ St (contingent on promises for new arena) and Bowling Green.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

In Arizona and most of the rest of the country, they wouldn't be comparable as hockey doesn't even register on the scale compared to PAC12 football.

As for the rest, IF the NCHC chooses to expand right now (I'm not so sure it should anymore) it should be with AZ St (contingent on promises for new arena) and Bowling Green.

I agree that from an institutional perspective Bowling Green would be the likely fit however from a hockey standpoint I would prefer Bemidji State. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OshieRoll said:

Doesn't pretty much every semi-decent team make a bowl game in college football?  I know the Gophers made one last year, which is a joke.  I know there's huge money in bowl games, but from a fan's perspective I never understood the consolation prize handed out to teams for winning any bowl game besides the National Championship.

8 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Doesn't pretty much every semi-decent team make a bowl game in college football?  I know the Gophers made one last year, which is a joke.  I know there's huge money in bowl games, but from a fan's perspective I never understood the consolation prize handed out to teams for winning any bowl game besides the National Championship.

Well, if you keep adding bowl games, then everybody gets to hang a participation banner.  Nebraska, Minnesota and San Jose St. all played in bowl games last year while finishing 5-7.

Some of those seven losses must have been some pretty high quality losses.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, joeyjr said:

I beg to differ, considering EVERY bowl game blew out the NCAA Hockey championship game when you go by viewership numbers. College hockey is about the 12th most popular sport in college athletics (even that might be generous)...people just don't care outside of its traditional footprint. Heck, the overwhelming majority of people in the traditional footprint of college hockey don't even care. It's a tough pill to swallow being from the most hockey crazed region in the United States, but it's true. 

1 hour ago, BigGreyAnt41 said:

Well, if you keep adding bowl games, then everybody gets to hang a participation banner.  Nebraska, Minnesota and San Jose St. all played in bowl games last year while finishing 5-7.

Some of those seven losses must have been some pretty high quality losses.

IIRC, 5 of Minnesota's losses came to teams ranked in the top 15 or 16 in the final regular season poll.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Well I don't mind all the bowls because it means more college football (which I'm obviously a fan of).  ASU did only win 6 games last year but like I said it was a down year for them (they had two 10 win seasons in a row before that) and they should do a little better than that this year.  My point was that they aren't actually some scrub school at football either and that football is actually a big deal there.  

1 minute ago, OshieRoll said:

Well I don't mind all the bowls because it means more college football (which I'm obviously a fan of).  ASU did only win 6 games last year but like I said it was a down year for them (they had two 10 win seasons in a row before that) and they should do a little better than that this year.  My point was that they aren't actually some scrub school at football either and that football is actually a big deal there.  

I guess that surprises me that you like more bowl games. IMO it dilutes the significance of each bowl game by letting everyone play in one. That would be like installing an NIT hockey tournament of the next 16 teams in hockey that didn't make the NCAAs, what's the point? To say you're the 17th best team in college hockey that year? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I guess that surprises me that you like more bowl games. IMO it dilutes the significance of each bowl game by letting everyone play in one. That would be like installing an NIT hockey tournament of the next 16 teams in hockey that didn't make the NCAAs, what's the point? To say you're the 17th best team in college hockey that year? 

I actually enjoy bowl games...if you don't want to watch you don't have to, but I love watching college football and enjoy the bowl games. Some of the games with "undeserving" bowl games turn out to be some of the best football games you see all year.

• Upvote 1

If I look at it from the point of during the college hockey season I will watch two other college teams play even if they are irrelevant to the national tournament.  Why?  Because I love to watch hockey.  I'm sure there are people who are the same way about football.  And if they will spend the money to watch football, more games to watch will be added.

48 minutes ago, GFG said:

I beg to differ, considering EVERY bowl game blew out the NCAA Hockey championship game when you go by viewership numbers. College hockey is about the 12th most popular sport in college athletics (even that might be generous)...people just don't care outside of its traditional footprint. Heck, the overwhelming majority of people in the traditional footprint of college hockey don't even care. It's a tough pill to swallow being from the most hockey crazed region in the United States, but it's true. 

I didn't mean about viewership or revenue .  .  . I mean pride and reverance. I would be a lot more proud to be a top 8 hockey team in a tournament with all the best teams than a top 30 football team that may (or may not) have even played a top team from one of the top conferences. The Pac12 has to be the what (I don't follow too closely) 3rd or 4th best conference and they are coming in around third place in a good year.

25 minutes ago, OshieRoll said:

then 8-5, then 6-7, then 6-6, then 4-8, then 5-7