SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 IIHF U 18 World Championships Open Thread

MDtoGF

7 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

I believe that the guarantee was $1.2 million. The REA may very likely lose some money on this deal, but they aren't going to lose nearly the whole thing. They had sponsors, attendance was good even if it wasn't great, they will have revenue from concessions, parking and the Lamplighter. Bringing World class events to the facility was always part of Ralph's plan, so even if they lost some money it probably helps fulfill his vision. Making money wasn't the main reason for hosting this tournament. Keeping REA and Grand Forks on the world hockey map was a large reason for hosting, especially since the U20 will probably never come back to a smaller than NHL level facility.

You will never see a Duke or Kansas come to UND for a money game. The only way a program like those visits someplace like UND is for a special reason like Kansas did several years ago. Top level programs like those make a lot of money already, and they can get paid from other big name schools. In the long run basketball has more potential for revenue growth since hockey is a mature Division I sport and basketball is still a recent transplant. But that growth isn't going to come from giving away money to rich programs.

I know Duke or Kansas aren't coming for BBall I was just saying REA probably would've gotten better return on something like that vs. this tourney.

As for keeping REA on the worldwide hockey map I have seen more comments from writers about poor attendance and pictures of empty seats on websites than anything else about this tourney so I'm not 100% sure it's been that great. I have been offered and seen free tickets all over the place. Not usually a sign of an event doing well, usually means their desperate to get people there.

At the end of the day I want REA to succeed because that is good for UND. I'll stick by my statement that helping elevate UND MBB to the point they are selling out the Betty will do more for their bottom line long term than one time things like this. Your right that growing basketball won't come from giving it to other programs but 1.2 million could have made some nice enhancements at the Betty to help start that process of elevating MBB who like you agreed with has a ton of room for revenue growth long term. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Not sure that's going to be a sentiment shared by many. Take away the scouts, the schoolchildren, and the players' parents, and you have more naked leather than a bovine Pride parade. A real black eye for the region.

My guess is that total attendance for the tournament is going to be among the top 3 in Under 18 Tournament history, or close to that level. It's going to be much higher than the only other time the tournament was held in the United States. Those numbers would suggest good attendance, but not rise to the level of great. It appears that some people had unreal expectations for the tournament. REA knew it was going to be difficult to make money off this tournament. But you don't put on every event just to make money.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nodakhoops said:

I know Duke or Kansas aren't coming for BBall I was just saying REA probably would've gotten better return on something like that vs. this tourney.

As for keeping REA on the worldwide hockey map I have seen more comments from writers about poor attendance and pictures of empty seats on websites than anything else about this tourney so I'm not 100% sure it's been that great. I have been offered and seen free tickets all over the place. Not usually a sign of an event doing well, usually means their desperate to get people there.

At the end of the day I want REA to succeed because that is good for UND. I'll stick by my statement that helping elevate UND MBB to the point they are selling out the Betty will do more for their bottom line long term than one time things like this. Your right that growing basketball won't come from giving it to other programs but 1.2 million could have made some nice enhancements at the Betty to help start that process of elevating MBB who like you agreed with has a ton of room for revenue growth long term. 

That's the second time that you've suggested that REA was going to lose $1 million or more on this tournament. They aren't going to lose nearly that much money. They may lose some money, but not nearly the level that you keep suggesting.

3 points:

1. Paid attendance and butts in seats are wholly unrelated figures, so comparisons to Fargo are misleading. Jaw-dropping photos from this event are everywhere; your eyes don't lie.

2. If an event is only going to draw 2-3k on a "good" day, placing it in a 12k seat arena is just plain stupid.

3. Three days before the puck dropped on the U18s, on a work night with relatively little notice, somewhere north of 6k "hockey fans" packed the REA to look at a trophy. Less than 2 weeks later, only 3k watched Team USA play a meaningful game on the world stage. Something ain't right.

4 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

That's the second time that you've suggested that REA was going to lose $1 million or more on this tournament. They aren't going to lose nearly that much money. They may lose some money, but not nearly the level that you keep suggesting.

I never said what they were going to lose. I was using that number to compare putting that amount into enhancements at the Betty since that is the gaurantee they have to pay. I hope the numbers do come ok for REA and they can chalk this up as a success, it just doesn't seem like it is in my opinion, or many others I've read seen and heard from. 

Regardless if REA makes or loses money on this tournament, it is certainly getting value in marketing from its broadcasts on NHL TV and radio.  More comments about the beautiful facility than lack of crowd, besides hockey players and parents are very comfortable with empty stands.  I would guess that the scouts are the crowd the players really care about anyway.

1 hour ago, Restone said:

Regardless if REA makes or loses money on this tournament, it is certainly getting value in marketing from its broadcasts on NHL TV and radio.  More comments about the beautiful facility than lack of crowd, besides hockey players and parents are very comfortable with empty stands.  I would guess that the scouts are the crowd the players really care about anyway.

Fair enough. But my concerns have far more to do with civic pride and getting value for Grand Forks.

The REA was always going to be just fine. What took a huge blow was GF's rep as a hockey town.

8 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

My guess is that total attendance for the tournament is going to be among the top 3 in Under 18 Tournament history, or close to that level. It's going to be much higher than the only other time the tournament was held in the United States. Those numbers would suggest good attendance, but not rise to the level of great. It appears that some people had unreal expectations for the tournament. REA knew it was going to be difficult to make money off this tournament. But you don't put on every event just to make money.

Unless the event is in some way supportive of UND, making money on it should absolutely be the goal of the REA. Now perhaps in the long run the exposure from this event helps student and athlete recruitment to UND, but I'm not getting my hopes up. 

11 hours ago, northernraider said:

Gonna be a small crowd at the finals, not good for the bottom line. 

How many friend and family made the trip from Sweden and Finland.   Toss in the NHL scouts and you will have your total attendance for todays Final.  Ouch!

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Unless the event is in some way supportive of UND, making money on it should absolutely be the goal of the REA. Now perhaps in the long run the exposure from this event helps student and athlete recruitment to UND, but I'm not getting my hopes up. 

TSN has given some pretty neat tours of the Ralph. I think that's pretty good exposure to any potential UND hockey recruit.  You need to remember this is Canada's ESPN.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Sioux_Hab-it said:

The Ralph won't get their wish as Finland scored with under a minute left, and I forgot that the empty netter at the buzzer counted, to win it 4-2.

The US committed the trip and gave up a fat rebound for an easy goal before penalty box door could be shut. 

6 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Fair enough. But my concerns have far more to do with civic pride and getting value for Grand Forks.

The REA was always going to be just fine. What took a huge blow was GF's rep as a hockey town.

Is Canada's rep as a hockey country also tarnished then?  Obviously this tournament doesn't hold as much prestige for them, and many others.

59 minutes ago, tnt said:

Is Canada's rep as a hockey country also tarnished then?  Obviously this tournament doesn't hold as much prestige for them, and many others.

they don't care about this tourney that much, they focus on the Ivan hlinka more. CHL playoffs are going on right now.

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

Is the Bronze game going to be online at NHL network?

9-1 in the 3rd

US chirpin',  Canada taking cheap shot penalties

Could be a line brawl to finish this one.  Ugly one sided game

Canada makes it 9-2

3 hours ago, tnt said:

Canada isn't hosting, so their reputation for supporting hockey is not at issue. But if you're asking whether a few more of them could have been expected to make the trip...I would say so. Their team was loaded, and well worth a drive from Winnipeg. Not like Manitobans need much of an excuse to come to Grand Forks anyway.

Not sure why you seem intent on defending Grand Forks. People flat didn't turn out for this event, and that is pitiful. World class hockey, world class arena, all that was missing were world class hockey fans who recognize the importance of supporting not only the sport but also the community. Those are apparently in short supply around here.

• Upvote 2

Just now, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Canada isn't hosting, so their reputation for supporting hockey is not at issue. But if you're asking whether a few more of them could have been expected to make the trip...I would say so. Their team was loaded, and well worth a drive from Winnipeg. Not like Manitobans need much of an excuse to come to Grand Forks anyway.

Not sure why you seem intent on defending Grand Forks. People flat didn't turn out for this event, and that is pitiful. World class hockey, world class arena, all that was missing were world class hockey fans who recognize the importance of supporting not only the sport but also the community. Those are apparently in short supply around here.

I assume you went to all the U.S. games then?

I live in W. Fargo and made 4 trips up for games.  Could not find anyone to go with me for most. Too busy with yard work, family issues, and just "busy".  Scheels arena a few years ago was more buzzing, but they were so not ready to host yet...(esp parking) and had other issues.

Last weekend was really disappointing in attendance,.  This weekend was just poor, but not terrible. Many more Canucks in Fargo tho.

Anyway, if I can drive up 4 times in a week, locals can go with less effort and did not.