SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 IIHF U 18 World Championships Open Thread

MDtoGF

Great group of games at the Ralph yesterday with more on tap today. 

1st 2 games were close all the way through with USA finishing strong winning 8-2. Post thoughts on any aspect of the tournament from atmosphere (was terrific yesterday) to games/anything in between. 

4 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

Great group of games at the Ralph yesterday with more on tap today. 

1st 2 games were close all the way through with USA finishing strong winning 8-2. Post thoughts on any aspect of the tournament from atmosphere (was terrific yesterday) to games/anything in between. 

I plan on attending tonight's Canada match, but photos from the Herald seem like a small crowd for yesterday's USA match. However, lot of cool pictures on Instagram are floating around. 

Interesting Tournament so far... all Non USA Canada games have been one goal games. great games today at the Ralph as Russia won in OT and Canada won 3-1 over Czech Republic. Jost had a point. The turnout today was the best of any of the three days and Team USA looks awesome. 

On 4/15/2016 at 0:59 PM, UND1981 said:

I'm going to the Canada-Denmark game tonight to watch Tyson Jost and to see if Brock Boeser is there to watch him.  Brock was at the USA game last night.

He and several others are volunteers doing stats for the games.  They go back and forth from press box to ice level media room. 

I am calling out GF, Fargo, and beyond: get to the Ralph and support this event.  Please.

The overall quality of life here depends, in part, on drawing cool stuff, and drawing cool stuff IN THE FUTURE depends on whether people go to stuff NOW.

Empty seats are ugly.  For all of our fun and mocking at the expense of the B1G joke, the Ralph is now at risk of being the saddest show on TV.  Prove to the WORLD that this is a hockey town, and not just a UND men's hockey town.

• Upvote 2

I went to the U.S. game against Switzerland this week and the place was pretty empty.  One thing they could have considered was to have a discounted price for kids, maybe have kids 12 and under free or maybe pay a couple bucks.  Get the kids there and parents will have to take them and pay.  My brother in law had to bring his 4 year old daughter with until his wife was done with an appointment and able to pick her up...had to pay $15 for her (same price as an adult) and she didn't watch any of the game.  

4 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I am calling out GF, Fargo, and beyond: get to the Ralph and support this event.  Please.

The overall quality of life here depends, in part, on drawing cool stuff, and drawing cool stuff IN THE FUTURE depends on whether people go to stuff NOW.

Empty seats are ugly.  For all of our fun and mocking at the expense of the B1G joke, the Ralph is now at risk of being the saddest show on TV.  Prove to the WORLD that this is a hockey town, and not just a UND men's hockey town.

It's great hockey.  At least half (depending on which mock draft you look at) of the projected first rounders in this year's NHL draft are in GF this week.  Finland's Puljujarvi may go second or third.  We have one committed recruit playing - Tyson Jost on Team Canada and he looks really, really good.   Almost the USA's entire roster will play college hockey somewhere next year.  USA vs. Finland at 3 p.m. and Canada vs. Sweden at 7 p.m. tomorrow in the semis.  Tickets are lower bowl for $25, $30, or $35, and include both games.  Same deal Sunday for the medal games.

20 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

the attendance is embarrassing

For who?

i know the Ralph was promoting this for a long time at und games and all but I'm not sure it has been promoted the right way to get butts on the seats. I've spoken with some Canadians around town while shopping the past week and not one of them know about the tournament going on. 

For or the average joe I think it's been a struggle just to find out who is playing at what time. I know for me I had to go to the Ralph's site, click on a link to show me the game times, click on another link to find out the ticket packages, then decipher who is playing at what time. Google iihf u18 and the 2015 tourney link pops up above this year's. 

The herald has done a few write ups but i haven't seen much. I mean there's families that have travelled here from the other side of the world! There is top nhl prospects playing here! TSN has shown plenty of big names from the NHL in the stands and in the suites over the past ten days. Today Lou lamorello and Brendan shannahan are in the house but does anyone know?