SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

10 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

For those blaming women's hockey on Title IX, most people would tell you that there may not be any women's sports in college without Title IX.

Blah blah.  What I said is true.

Like Biz said, how can Michigan have both Men's Hockey & Football , but no Womens Hockey and still be Title IX compliant...yet UND needs to fund every women's sport know to man?  

And don't give tell us crap about a "prong".  UND could be using that same "prong" but doesn't.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The first year UND fielded a women's basketball team was 1894. Title IX was enacted in 1972.

Yet the UND women's basketball media guide only has records going back to 74-75. There were more sports for girls in the early 1900's than in the 40's, 50's and 60's. My grandmother played basketball in high school about 1920. It wasn't available to my mother in the 40's. Title IX made it available to my classmates in the 70's.

6 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Like Biz said, how can Michigan have both Men's Hockey & Football , but no Womens Hockey and still be Title IX compliant...yet UND needs to fund every women's sport know to man?  

And don't give tell us crap about a "prong".  UND could be using that same "prong" but doesn't.

Both Michigan's have field hockey and rowing to offset hockey.  Rowing takes a tremendous amount of schollies.  Yost is old so females are not clamoring to work out there.

9 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Like Biz said, how can Michigan have both Men's Hockey & Football , but no Womens Hockey and still be Title IX compliant but UND needs to fund every women's sport know to man?  

UND doesn't have close to every women's sport. Michigan has field hockey, rowing, lacrosse, gymnastics, and water polo instead of ice hockey.

The Fargo Dome is owned by the city, not the University. The Yost used to host the Michigan men's and women's baskeball teams, until those teams relocated to the larger Crisler Arena in 1967.   In 1973, it was converted into an ice arena, and the Michigan hockey team has used it ever since.

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Yost is old so females are not clamoring to work out there.

Oh this is just about letting women exercise using the REA? That's simple. Basketball and volleyball already practice in a connected facility. Time for hockey to share exercise equipment with other sports. 

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

How do they offset Football?

They don't have to be similar sports. Title IX is about opportunities and support. Not a lot of girls are interested in playing football. But they may be interested in playing water polo, or field hockey or rowing. Then the school has to provide similar quality facilities for the women's sports overall as they do for men's sports. Again, it doesn't have to be the same size. But if you have top of the line men's facilities you can't provide women's facilities equal to a North Dakota Class B high school.

1 minute ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

UND doesn't have close to every women's sport. Michigan has field hockey, rowing, lacrosse, gymnastics, and water polo instead of ice hockey.

Michigan also has FBS football, men's lacrosse, mens gymnastics, and mens soccer. Don't act like all those women's sports are there to replace women's hockey. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

What women's sport uses the fargo dome? What women's sport uses Yost arena? 

They don't have to use the same facilities. Minnesota satisfies Title IX in hockey with the men at Mariucci and the women at Ridder because the facilities are of similar quality.

1 minute ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

They don't have to use the same facilities. Minnesota satisfies Title IX in hockey with the men at Mariucci and the women at Ridder because the facilities are of similar quality.

So the only reason we have Women's Hockey is because of Title IX saying some females have to play in the Taj Mahal (because UND doesn't have a second Taj Mahal for them)?  Like I said....

3 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

So you're saying it's flexible..... there are ways to work around it. Weird.....

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Michigan also has FBS football, men's lacrosse, mens gymnastics, and mens soccer. Don't act like all those women's sports are there to replace women's hockey. 

I was pointing out that there are several women's sports at Michigan that UND doesn't have. Not all are there to replace hockey. None of them are there specifically to replace hockey. Michigan never had women's hockey, so they didn't have to replace it. It is all about the total number of opportunities and the total support for athletics, not specific sports.

Also, scholarships for FBS and FCS football are different, but roster sizes are either the same or very similar.

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

So the only reason we have Women's Hockey is because of Title IX saying some females have to play in the Taj Mahal (because UND doesn't have a second Taj Mahal for them)?  Like I said....

UND should be competing for Natty's in women's hockey.  That's altogether a different argument but it's the truth.  No other women's sport can reasonably compete for a Natty.  That's the difference.

5 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

UND should be competing for Natty's in women's hockey.  That's altogether a different argument but it's the truth.  No other women's sport can reasonably compete for a Natty.  That's the difference.

What does that have to do with anything?  Its about "opportunities' and "access".  And they aren't even close to that.

Ya'll know virtually no one here has or would go to a UND baseball game, but have or thought about attending a womens hockey game...and as SiouxVolley pointed out, might not be anytime soon, but what just happened on Monday could happen for the women (or the Lady Hawks as I know somepeople love to call them ;)) someday. 

The bar was set pretty low, but the timing is pretty bad as the baseball team probably finally felt they were getting some positive recognition lately and feeling pretty good about themselves. But reality is we live in a cold climate. 

6 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have probably gone to 30 baseball games in my life.  Over a 10 year span.  Not bad for living out of town.

The point is they didn't cut any women's sports and the only reason is UNDs obsession with Title IX when other schools cheat the system to not be equal.