SiouxSports.com Forum

Entire Russia U-18 IIHF Team Disqualified

This just came over the wire:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/region/4003350-reports-entire-russian-u18-squad-replaced-failed-drug-tests

The Russians, while still expected to participate in the tournament, will have to replace every member of its squad because many of its players tested positive for the recently banned substance Meldonium, according to sporting news website Deadspin.com, citing other sources. The Russian coach has also reportedly been fired.

Wow, this takes some of the excitement out of the USA-Russia opening game next week! :ohmy::(

Deadspin commenters bringing the funny:

My wife and I just recently got stationed here in Grand Forks—and hockey is literally the only redeeming quality in this God forsaken town (UND’s hockey arena and team really are terrific).

Oh—and they don't have any of those super sweet accents like in Fargo which REALLY pisses me off.

This is f**king nuts. You mean to tell me that there is a prestigious international tournament being held in Grand Forks, North Dakota?

To be fair, Meldonium is a legal antidepressant proscribed for people who will in future have to spend any amount of time in North Dakota.

As it stands today, Russia's track and field athletes are not eligible to compete in the 2016 Olympics.   The cynic in me says they sold down the river the U18 team, in order to be able to say they are now seriously implementing a real anti-doping program.   I'm not buying it for a minute.

• Upvote 1