SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

3 hours ago, talksalot83 said:

Walton leaving means that they can easily give Peter Johnson a raise when his annual review comes around since he'll be assuming many of her duties. 

My position on Campus was in a new department established to provide customer service and help students navigate UND's large, bureaucratic system. Many other schools have this department because it improves retention and satisfaction. We actually keep data to back that up. The department will continue to exist because of restructuring, but it was gutted. I don't feel that I was being cut to make the institution better. It was purely a cost-saving method to maintain the jobs of people who have been at the institution longer. But, then again, another person being cut along with me was at UND for 13 years. Another was at UND for several and held prominent positions in lower administration.

I remember talking about this with a friend of mine in December and January; I was a little worried, but she suspected that there would be cuts to travel and some other line items. I don't think anyone expected this. We thought that it was possible that most departments would sacrifice a little and there might be some restructuring. I thought, worst case scenario, "I'm cross trained in 5/6 admin offices. Even though I'm new, I'm very valuable because of my knowledge base. They'll probably push me into another department." The hardest part is that I should have been off the mandatory six-month probation before the budget goes into effect. They can legally extend my probation by a month for no reason. Not that letting me hit my probation would have saved me, but it would have allowed me to apply for potential, internal positions in the future at UND. Individuals who are not on probation are allowed to have priority when applying for jobs. I will not have that benefit. I also think there are going to be more cuts the next fiscal year as well. 

I'm sure some people think UND is simply cutting the fat, but I think this is a whole lot deeper than that. I'm telling my story because I want to put a small voice to the cuts. I'm going to miss UND. I have many friends who work there and they are wonderful people. I don't feel as if I got the opportunity to make the impact that I wanted to. I gave UND my money (tuition), my sweat (working various positions on campus) and now my tears. I have nothing left to give it. 

We lost three people in our department today plus the couple others who were forced to retire early. I know which department you speak of and they will be back filled with positions from those specific areas. The mismanagement for the last 5yrs is starting to come to light and it is staggering. The finger can be pointed at a few people who were obviously alseep at the wheel. They should also be the ones to lose their jobs as well.

• Upvote 4

I have been working at this University for a long time and TV production/Studio one needed to be looked at with a fine tooth-comb.

They get lots of funding and are a cost center. No one on campus could use them because they would charge departments so much money.

Other departments on campus were able to make do for only a fraction of what TV Production would charge them. 

I understand the whole Studio One learning experience for students and perhaps that could be saved but as a whole that place needed to be reduced.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, crb1 said:

We lost three people in our department today plus the couple others who were forced to retire early. I know which department you speak of and they will be back filled with positions from those specific areas. The mismanagement for the last 5yrs is starting to come to light and it is staggering. The finger can be pointed at a few people who were obviously alseep at the wheel. They should also be the ones to lose their jobs as well.

You're correct. They will backfill from other departments; kind of. To be fair, we're understaffed as it is. And the departments are backfilling are letting people go too (Student Account Services, Registrar's and Financial Aid).

35 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I have been working at this University for a long time and TV production/Studio one needed to be looked at with a fine tooth-comb.

They get lots of funding and are a cost center. No one on campus could use them because they would charge departments so much money.

Other departments on campus were able to make do for only a fraction of what TV Production would charge them. 

I understand the whole Studio One learning experience for students and perhaps that could be saved but as a whole that place needed to be reduced.

I believe I remember seeing/hearing aviation had good, relatively cheap production capabilities that were used by other departments rather than studio one. 

2 hours ago, crb1 said:

Agreed!

44 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I believe I remember seeing/hearing aviation had good, relatively cheap production capabilities that were used by other departments rather than studio one. 

i believe in clifford they film all the podcasts and ITV courses i believe there

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Unfortunately Aerospace is very proprietary and only does that stuff for aerospace departments. They have an hourly rate of about 2 or 3 hundred an hour. Just not realistic for under funded departments. 

UND will search for new management to run its golf course, though it is uncertain if it will reopen next year.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4010879-und-search-alternatives-operating-ray-richards

Now UND won't even open its golf course if it cant find a new private management firm to operate it in 2017.

Yet the golf course currently makes money for UND....hmm.

Despite record (or near) revenues at UND?

Since athletics is tight with the axing of 2 programs are we going to see an increase on the little things at games like merchandise and concessions? UND should add SRO tickets on the 2 walkways behind the end zones to add to more ticket revenue, and maybe with our core teams (football and basketball) getting better to add to hockey ticket sales will start to increase a lot, and this little dark hole (budget problems) will go away.

10 hours ago, Cratter said:

UND puts on a "hiring freeze."

Shouldnt they put on a "tuition waiver freeze" right about now?

I spoke with one of my former instructors and she said that they're having to eliminate graduate assistants for their department. No more tuition waivers there.

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

That's a real solid analysis of a complex problem you've got there.

Given the fact that Kelley hails from New Mexico and spent about as much time in such liberal strongholds as Texas and Wyoming (sarc.) as he did in Cali, I think you can get the idea about how much actual thought was out into that analysis. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Today we hear more from UND.

Interesting article from Port: 

http://www.inforum.com/opinion/columnists/4010818-rob-port-no-tears-should-be-shed-cuts-university-sports

What do NDSU and UND need to do to break even in athletics? Win more games? Is Port's NCAA info correct?

Someone should ask Rob how many kids attend college who are on partial scholarships or walk on to sports programs, play in the band or major in programs such as sports medicine.   Some of these kids than graduate and donate back to the university.   

I'm not saying subsidizing athletics through student fees is completely right but there is some ROI on college athletics.  

On April 16, 2016 at 3:19 AM, darell1976 said:

Since athletics is tight with the axing of 2 programs are we going to see an increase on the little things at games like merchandise and concessions? UND should add SRO tickets on the 2 walkways behind the end zones to add to more ticket revenue, and maybe with our core teams (football and basketball) getting better to add to hockey ticket sales will start to increase a lot, and this little dark hole (budget problems) will go away.

End this thread, darryls has single handily figured out how to balance the athletic budget!!!  All you have to do is add some sro tickets and charge more for dippin dots! Problem solved.  SMH

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Texas rancher said:

End this thread, darryls has single handily figured out how to balance the athletic budget!!!  All you have to do is add some sro tickets and charge more for dippin dots! Problem solved.  SMH

Adding more money that way instead of cutting 2 programs, music and other stuff is more fan friendly, but of course your idea is better... (hearing crickets).

• Upvote 1

Very slim on details. You have no idea of what exact department/programs are being cut. You have no idea what the impact of these cuts will be for faculty and students. This is anything but transparent. 

• Upvote 3

• The Sicatoka changed the title to NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)