SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

22 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

Or would it make it easier to comply if we gave up that many men’s schollies? 

I know enough about Title IX to be dangerous but my wife is an HR attorney who deals with Title IX suits, and I sleep at Holiday Inns. Without a lot of background info she said eliminating a football team is more likely to solve than create IX issues. 

It seems odd a school would allow losing enough money on one poorly supported sport to wipe out the deficits of 7-8 sports.

I feel like an actor in the commercial where we become our parents for even discussing a football cut, and I admit I’m bias because I love our hockey program. From a sports perspective hockey is our identity. I live in the east and and no matter how cocky people are about their behemoth football they defer entirely to UND hockey.  

Side note: I wonder how we are able to lose about double the money on women’s basketball and volleyball than NDSU

I understand that there's some statistical nuance to compliance, but that's a lot of dollars and opportunities suddenly no longer being provided to men. I have to believe that a significant reallocation would be needed except in the most extreme cases. 

When your wife says "more likely," does she mean 90-10 or 51-49 or something in the middle? And is she assuming that men are generally less litigious or less likely to win?

1 hour ago, CarpeRemote said:

Side note: I wonder how we are able to lose about double the money on women’s basketball and volleyball than NDSU

UND pays rent to the REA to host games I'm guessing? NDSU/The state owns their facilities for those sports.  Could be a reason?

55 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Didn’t Und go above and beyond for cuts last time? Cut more then we had to?

maybe we could cut the &1million dollar sprinkler system Kennedy wants to start installing this summer

Lawn sprinklers or fire sprinklers?

Different accounting.  I believe ndsu allocates apparel sales, advertising revenue, teammakers contributions, student fees, etc. out to the various sports.  UND places most all of those revenues in an unallocated pot.  Thus the individual sports look worse at UND than ndsu.

Or would it make it easier to comply if we gave up that many men’s schollies? 

I know enough about Title IX to be dangerous but my wife is an HR attorney who deals with Title IX suits, and I sleep at Holiday Inns. Without a lot of background info she said eliminating a football team is more likely to solve than create IX issues. 

It seems odd a school would allow losing enough money on one poorly supported sport to wipe out the deficits of 7-8 sports.

I feel like an actor in the commercial where we become our parents for even discussing a football cut, and I admit I’m bias because I love our hockey program. From a sports perspective hockey is our identity. I live in the east and and no matter how cocky people are about their behemoth football they defer entirely to UND hockey.  

I would love to hear more about the Title IX situation at UND, I mean, since your wife is a lawyer and everything.  Run some scenarios for us with football being cut but adding no other sports.  

NCAA DI requires 14 sports (FCS) or 16 sports (FBS). 

I'm going back to a two-decades long harp (axe?, mantra?) of mine: Fix that "minimum number of sports" requirement of the NCAA. Schools should be able to pick a sport at a level and play it. Just because you want to play DI basketball shouldn't mean you have to have 10 (12? 14?) guaranteed money losing sports on campus. Let schools support and play what their demographics are interested in and are willing to support. 

Before you say "Title IX", that's Federal law (and Federal law and the NCAA ... not the same). Schools will still have to pick and choose and design their athletics departments to comply to Title IX; however, and believe it or not, that might give the schools more flexibility than they have today. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

NCAA DI requires 14 sports (FCS) or 16 sports (FBS). 

I'm going back to a two-decades long harp (axe?, mantra?) of mine: Fix that "minimum number of sports" requirement of the NCAA. Schools should be able to pick a sport at a level and play it. Just because you want to play DI basketball shouldn't mean you have to have 10 (12? 14?) guaranteed money losing sports on campus. Let schools support and play what their demographics are interested in and are willing to support. 

Before you say "Title IX", that's Federal law (and Federal law and the NCAA ... not the same). Schools will still have to pick and choose and design their athletics departments to comply to Title IX; however, and believe it or not, that might give the schools more flexibility than they have today. 

I'd assume the sports minimums are intentionally meant to be a barrier.  "You can't afford X number of sports, you don't get to play with us.  Go play with those other poor schools."

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

I'd assume the sports minimums are intentionally meant to be a barrier.  "You can't afford X number of sports, you don't get to play with us.  Go play with those other poor schools."

The word you're looking for is "elitist". ;) 

Bergum is crazy like fox.

He knows the "no" mindset of this state in the voting booth. Putting a change to the state constitution on the ballot is a big change and, well, people will default to the "no". 

But, if he can make it that people are instead saying "yes" to an end to continual state-wide budget cuts ... 

I have family connections to both, but in reality Mayville State (45 miles from both UND and NDSU) and Valley City State (60 miles to NDSU) should be "re-imagined". Frankly, Bottineau should go with those two. Devils Lake should become an internet remote testing center for UND Online. Williston? Same as Devils Lake. 

I'd re-imagine the system to two Universities (UND, NDSU), two colleges (Minot, Dickinson), and two two-year facilities (Bismarck, Wahpeton). Everything else needs to repurpose. 

12 minutes ago, lawkota said:

Where in the Constitution does it say that colleges are to be sited in Williston, Bismarck and Devils Lake? 

Article VIII, Section 6 ... but I see what you did there by naming those specific three*. Well played. 

*Lawyer question. You knew that answer before you asked. ;) 

2 minutes ago, lawkota said:

Where in the Constitution does it say that colleges are to be sited in Williston, Bismarck and Devils Lake? 

Good point.  But of those 3, Devils Lake is really the only one that should be considered for closure.  BSC and WSC could/should both be administratively placed under another institution to cut down on non-academic costs.

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

Good point.  But of those 3, Devils Lake is really the only one that should be considered for closure.  BSC and WSC could/should both be administratively placed under another institution to cut down on non-academic costs.

Williston is building up an endowment with oil money.  One trust is providing free tuition to every student attending Williston State from 5 counties in ND and 5 counties in MT.  This is increasing enrollment.

1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

Williston is building up an endowment with oil money.  One trust is providing free tuition to every student attending Williston State from 5 counties in ND and 5 counties in MT.  This is increasing enrollment.

That doesn't prevent Williston from becoming "UND-Willston" again. 

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Different accounting.  I believe ndsu allocates apparel sales, advertising revenue, teammakers contributions, student fees, etc. out to the various sports.  UND places most all of those revenues in an unallocated pot.  Thus the individual sports look worse at UND than ndsu.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4247564-all-individual-sports-ndsu-und-lose-money-annual-financial-report-indicates

This article from 4/7/2017 lists $10.4 M for non-specific athletics revenue for UND.  That means it's revenue that is not tied directly to a sport (e.g. champion's club, merchandise, tv rights).  If you offset the losses per sport with that revenue, UND athletics had a buget deficit of $1.4 M for the year.  While we would all like to see this number in the black, it certainly isn't as bad as listing all the sports and their losses.  Per the article, NDSU attributes some of their donations and merchandise sales to specific sports making them look more profitable on paper than UND's.

15 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

It could for sure.  A good tie in with UND would be the petroleum degree.

If Bottineau survives, make it NDSU-Bottineau again and tie the forestry* program to NDSU's ag programs. 

*I still can't believe this state has a forestry program ... 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If Bottineau survives, make it NDSU-Bottineau again and tie the forestry* program to NDSU's ag programs. 

*I still can't believe this state has a forestry program ... 

Bottineau should be closed immediately.  If we could actually get the constitutional amendment to a vote, I'd encourage every voter to visit Dakota College at Bottineau prior to the election.  That would be more than enough to secure its passage.

For what it's worth, Bottineau is currently under the administrative authority of Minot State University, so a lot of their non-academic costs have already been eliminated. 

So NDSU gave an extension to head coach Chris Klieman at a base salary of $300,000   with bonuses totaling $450,000 through 2021. How much of that money eats into NDSU’s budget with the new cut by Burgum? UND is in a similar role with Brad Berry being in his last year also there are hot seats of Brian Jones, Travis Brewster and to some Bubba Schweigert to think about as well. Can schools afford big payouts to coaches and cut sports or academics?