SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

This update on the Hyslop pool contains possibly the best (or worst, depending on your point of view) example of empty speech I have seen in a long, long time.

"We are in the very initial stages where we're identifying what data and information we need to have in hand to inform a conversation where we bring stakeholders to the table to think about what the future might look like," said Alice Brekke, UND's Vice President for Finance and Operations.

Give that woman a prize or something.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This update on the Hyslop pool contains possibly the best (or worst, depending on your point of view) example of empty speech I have seen in a long, long time.

Give that woman a prize or something.

You left out the next quote which gives more insight to what she means.  

"We're trying to pull together operating costs and deferred maintenance so we have a full picture. When we bring in stakeholders, we want to make the most productive use of their time and focus the conversation on reality."

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, homer said:

You left out the next quote which gives more insight to what she means.  

"We're trying to pull together operating costs and deferred maintenance so we have a full picture. When we bring in stakeholders, we want to make the most productive use of their time and focus the conversation on reality."

So the first 40 or so words were just the lead-in. Got it.

YOU missed the entire point of my post, which was that she wasted 40 words saying jack squat. Are you her son or husband or something?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

So the first 40 or so words were just the lead-in. Got it.

YOU missed the entire point of my post, which was that she wasted 40 words saying jack squat. Are you her son or husband or something?

Did she write the article?  

Im glad they learned to make decisions off facts and numbers and not off what feels good.  

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite sure what there is left to cut

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4281233-und-makes-further-athletics-budget-cuts

This gives me pause.   If eliminating sports was to help a alleviate a stressed budget,(which I agreed with and understood as necessary, it still seems like Athletics still wasn't able to get there.

And if that's the case, I would have to imagine that programs that had success a year ago, like Men's Basketball will most likely not see any increase in it's budget despite being told that successful programs will be supported(which I always presumed was alluding to financial support)   This is, of course conjecture. But it is somewhat alarming  that UND and Athletics  still can't get to the finish line on these cuts.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, the green team said:

Not quite sure what there is left to cut

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4281233-und-makes-further-athletics-budget-cuts

This gives me pause.   If eliminating sports was to help a alleviate a stressed budget,(which I agreed with and understood as necessary, it still seems like Athletics still wasn't able to get there.

And if that's the case, I would have to imagine that programs that had success a year ago, like Men's Basketball will most likely not see any increase in it's budget despite being told that successful programs will be supported(which I always presumed was alluding to financial support)   This is, of course conjecture. But it is somewhat alarming  that UND and Athletics  still can't get to the finish line on these cuts.

I'm not looking too much into this.  I am wondering if it just the cut needed to pay the penalty for the Summit and WCHA.  When it stated that the cut was apart of the $1.3 million, I got less concerned.

7 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4285817-und-chief-diversity-officer-leaves-post-cites-differences-strategic-plan

Another VP gone.  They are just dropping like flies over the past year and a half

I listened to her  speak once and could not understand anything that was said. Too many unnecessary and flowery words.

10 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4285817-und-chief-diversity-officer-leaves-post-cites-differences-strategic-plan

Another VP gone.  They are just dropping like flies over the past year and a half

Reading between the lines, her idea of what her job was/should be would was significantly different than what the majority of people would think is appropriate. When using terms like "much broader", "institution-wide" and "big-picture", it seems like her belief was to have a say in everything on campus.

10 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

One would sure think the "Vice President of student affairs and diversity" could absorb the responsibilities of the associate "Vice President of diversity and inclusion".   Important topic but a good opportunity for $$$ savings to reassess the dept.  

• Upvote 2

On 6/19/2017 at 9:48 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

That doesn't matter if they don't eliminate the position entirely.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Understand that someone has recently graciously given matching funds so that if anyone endows an athletic scholarship, there is an immediate 50% match for more athletic scholarships.

phil???? (jackson not lammoureux)