SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

On 2/20/2017 at 7:25 PM, Siouxphan27 said:

Right. I counted their roster once and think there were about 60 on the team.  It appears as long as a school's scholarships are in line in terms of men to women, and the women have good facilities, you're fine. 

You are correct - scholarship $, facilities and the number of women vs men participating (regardless of being on scholarship) are the three factors. If you are OK with two out of these three, you won't have any problems!

12 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

You are correct - scholarship $, facilities and the number of women vs men participating (regardless of being on scholarship) are the three factors. If you are OK with two out of these three, you won't have any problems!

Or if you're ndsu....

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Or if you're ndsu....

SU also asks for feedback (not sure if they do so every year but they do it often) from current students regarding any new women's sports that could/should be added.  Every time they do so, there is no compelling interest in adding sports.  This apparently also helps their position with the NCAA/Title IX.  

Heard Al Carlson on the radio yesterday say if you think this round of cuts were bad wait until the next round of cuts. I'm on the radio on KNOX and KFGO saying things that I believe to be the truth. The big money in this state has no ties to UND. They want the other school to be at 25,000 and this one to go back to D3 and have 8000 students. UND has alums with money but they don't control the politics in ND the other school does. 

The one thing Grand Forks has had to rely on thru some tough times like the flood and the base going from 15000 to a population of 2000 is UND. Now the economic engine that UND is to GF in in jeopardy. I asked a radio talk host on KNOX where is all the Legacy money he said you can't blame that on the Repbs the citizens did that. I was cut off before I could ask the follow up question of who was behind the Legacy Fund vote and what were there motives.

David Flynn UND professor is on KNOX taking calls on Thursdays I asked him about Grand Sky and what kind of impact it could have on the GF economy he said there is no indication this will be a Hugh thing. UND is a Hugh thing in GF. If UND is cut by 30 to 40% of it's current size The GF economy may not recover. 

Fargo is now taking programs from other schools like The State School in Whaprton and I've heard the people in Whapeton are very angry. Jamestown College has a Physical Therapy School in Fargo. What's next Jamestown College Med School Jamestown College Law School. Then it could be called 4college instead of tri college. Get the picture. You can save the people in this state from spending years in that place called Grand Forks. Up in the cold corner of the state. Where I live. Whats going on with these cuts is something we should be angry about. I do not feel the people on this board are taking what's going with  seriously. UND in the Flagship and the other guys are Moo U. Moo U is about to bite you in the but .The last laugh may or will be in Fargo.

Iif NDSU adds hockey now there is no longer 3O00 hockey tickets sold in FM and UND is downsized by 30% and the GF economy and population takes a hit who is going to buy the hockey tickets? The people that make good money  at UND who are forced to leave where are going to make 70  plus grand in GF? There gone. How all of this financial mess in this state has played out makes me wonder was this the plan all along. Google North Dakota on  being one the most corrupt states in the US and think about UND.

1 hour ago, moser53 said:

Heard Al Carlson on the radio yesterday say if you think this round of cuts were bad wait until the next round of cuts. I'm on the radio on KNOX and KFGO saying things that I believe to be the truth. The big money in this state has no ties to UND. They want the other school to be at 25,000 and this one to go back to D3 and have 8000 students. UND has alums with money but they don't control the politics in ND the other school does. 

The one thing Grand Forks has had to rely on thru some tough times like the flood and the base going from 15000 to a population of 2000 is UND. Now the economic engine that UND is to GF in in jeopardy. I asked a radio talk host on KNOX where is all the Legacy money he said you can't blame that on the Repbs the citizens did that. I was cut off before I could ask the follow up question of who was behind the Legacy Fund vote and what were there motives.

David Flynn UND professor is on KNOX taking calls on Thursdays I asked him about Grand Sky and what kind of impact it could have on the GF economy he said there is no indication this will be a Hugh thing. UND is a Hugh thing in GF. If UND is cut by 30 to 40% of it's current size The GF economy may not recover. 

Fargo is now taking programs from other schools like The State School in Whaprton and I've heard the people in Whapeton are very angry. Jamestown College has a Physical Therapy School in Fargo. What's next Jamestown College Med School Jamestown College Law School. Then it could be called 4college instead of tri college. Get the picture. You can save the people in this state from spending years in that place called Grand Forks. Up in the cold corner of the state. Where I live. Whats going on with these cuts is something we should be angry about. I do not feel the people on this board are taking what's going with  seriously. UND in the Flagship and the other guys are Moo U. Moo U is about to bite you in the but .The last laugh may or will be in Fargo.

Iif NDSU adds hockey now there is no longer 3O00 hockey tickets sold in FM and UND is downsized by 30% and the GF economy and population takes a hit who is going to buy the hockey tickets? The people that make good money  at UND who are forced to leave where are going to make 70  plus grand in GF? There gone. How all of this financial mess in this state has played out makes me wonder was this the plan all along. Google North Dakota on  being one the most corrupt states in the US and think about UND.

Well one thing you are wrong on is Science and NDSU.  They have a great relationship as both presidents are best of friends.  You do know that Science is a trade school right?

3 hours ago, moser53 said:

So they're planning to take the already land locked and over crowded NDSU campus and cram damn near double the students into it? That's some strong coffee you've been drinking.

Also, UND was never D3. 

41 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

So they're planning to take the already land locked and over crowded NDSU campus and cram damn near double the students into it? That's some strong coffee you've been drinking.

Also, UND was never D3. 

Land-locked?  There's about 200 acres of agricultural land west of campus.  That being said, there's no way NDSU (or UND) is going to grow much beyond 15,000 with the budget forecast the way it is.

13 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

Land-locked?  There's about 200 acres of agricultural land west of campus.  That being said, there's no way NDSU (or UND) is going to grow much beyond 15,000 with the budget forecast the way it is.

That and the recently completed study on tuition waivers that are likely going to lead to change on how those are handled.

Just now, jdub27 said:

That and the recently completed study on tuition waivers that are likely going to lead to change on how those are handled.

Yep.  Which is probably a good thing.  I'm not anti-tuition waiver, but I think there should be some guidelines on how they're handled.  

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, UND Fan said:

SU also asks for feedback (not sure if they do so every year but they do it often) from current students regarding any new women's sports that could/should be added.  Every time they do so, there is no compelling interest in adding sports.  This apparently also helps their position with the NCAA/Title IX.  

I got an email every year while at ndsu regarding interest. 

Tough to justify adding sports if the interest isn't there. 

1 hour ago, NDSU grad said:

"Yea we're gonna go ahead and build a bunch of new buildings on our Ag land while other buildings on campus are falling apart. Sound good?"

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, moser53 said:

The schools receive funding based on a formula.  The formula is being reduced by a flat percentage for all schools.  UND is not being cut 30-40%.  The world isn't ending.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NDSU grad said:

Correct.
To grow, you need space (not land, but buildings) and people to support the growth.
There's nothing in the foreseeable State budgets for either of those. 

43 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

That land isn't meant for buildings. 

LOL.  Pretty much every building west of Bolley Drive was once ag research land.  NDSU has plenty of space out at Prosper for research. The only land they wouldn't be able to build on is the historic flax wilt plot, plot 30.  You have no idea what you're talking about.

4 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

LOL.  Pretty much every building west of Bolley Drive was once ag research land.  NDSU has plenty of space out at Prosper for research. The only land they wouldn't be able to build on is the historic flax wilt plot, plot 30.  You have no idea what you're talking about.

That would explain all the new construction over there recently.

24 minutes ago, cberkas said:

According to Brad one of the IAC board members is cheering against the women's hockey team and wearing an Ohio State jersey.

Murphy has done that every year for as long as I can remember OSU coming to the Ralph. This is nothing new, folks. Just because Brad finally knows who Dr. Murphy is, makes it news to Brad, I guess.

• Upvote 2

• The Sicatoka changed the title to NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)