SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 Season

SWSiouxMN

12 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

They met my high expectation

They had the horses and got the job done

Mission accomplished

And Jones had the horses trained.....     I'm a believer! 

My grandfather (son of a homesteader) told me it takes an awful lot of work to train a horse to become a great horse. He had one horse that he just couldn't train, left it in the pasture, told me that horse is worthless, has a mind of it's own, not a team player.

Jones developed team players. Congratulations Fighting Hawks.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

And Jones had the horses trained.....     I'm a believer! 

My grandfather (son of a homesteader) told me it takes an awful lot of work to train a horse to become a great horse. He had one horse that he just couldn't train, left it in the pasture, told me that horse is worthless, has a mind of it's own, not a team player.

Jones developed team players. Congratulations Fighting Hawks.

Q had a lot of influence on team play.  He is not selfish and it rubs off.  That was not the case with Huff and team. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Q had a lot of influence on team play.  He is not selfish and it rubs off.  That was not the case with Huff and team. 

So true.  Jones tried and tried to make Huff more of a team player and he just could not.  Q was a team player from day one and the others followed.  I believe you recruit team players even though they may not be the absolute top athletes but if you get 7-8 solid team players you can overcome the more athletic selfless players everytime.  TEAM play wins.

• Upvote 1

Wow. Troy Huff was one of best basketball players to play at UND and played hard on both ends of the floor and gave his all while at UND, I guess I am happy that this TEAM had the chemistry to get it done and don't see the benefit of trashing past players or teams.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Wow. Troy Huff was one of best basketball players to play at UND and played hard on both ends of the floor and gave his all while at UND, I guess I am happy that this TEAM had the chemistry to get it done and don't see the benefit of trashing past players or teams.

I'm not taking anything away from Troy a very great player.  That was very good a times but some of the supporting cast also wanted to be great players when they got the ball without the team play.  Rarely did you see set plays with that team.  That is what this years team brings.  Q with 400 assists. This team from top to bottom is happy with an assist as they are about scoring themselves. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, UND Fan said:

A big "what if" but we offered J P Macura, SG for Xavier (playing Gonzaga right now) back in 2014.  It would have been nice to have had him on our team this year!     

I understand your point but we offer a lot of people. Macura was never going to come here. 

On 3/12/2017 at 3:55 PM, NODAK13 said:

So true.  Jones tried and tried to make Huff more of a team player and he just could not.  Q was a team player from day one and the others followed.  I believe you recruit team players even though they may not be the absolute top athletes but if you get 7-8 solid team players you can overcome the more athletic selfless players everytime.  TEAM play wins.

Hard to compare Huff to Hooker as they played different positions and each had different skill sets.  I'm a big fan of Huff, he's top 5 all time in scoring and steals, and top 10 in rebounds.  Hooker is probably one of the two greatest players ever to step foot on campus, but Huff is probably top 5 as well.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I understand your point but we offer a lot of people. Macura was never going to come here. 

That is why I said big "what if" - you are correct that he wasn't going to come here.  I think everyone understands that!

• Upvote 1

carsonshanks05Alright. Here goes one of the tougher posts I've ever had to do. As of today I am no longer apart of the University of North Dakota basketball team. These past few years have been some of the most special and unforgettable times of my young life. I don't even know where to begin with how grateful I am for each and every one of the people that have supported me throughout these past 3.5 years. The community, my teammates, my classmates, my professors, my coaches, my friends, you all have filled my heart with memories and relationships that will be with me for a lifetime. This program took a scrawny kid that had no where to play and then turned him into a conference champion and a participant in the NCAA tournament. Something I never thought I would say when I arrived here years ago but, I love Grand Forks, ND and it has become my home away from home and some of my lifelong dreams came true in this wonderful tundra we call the Forks. In terms of what I have planned for my future, I plan on graduating this May and transferring to another school to begin working on my Masters and playing Division 1 college basketball for my 5th and final year. No matter what happens in the near future, my heart will always pump UND Green. Thank you all so much for everything you have done to me.  Love you all, 
Carson "Big Fudge" Shanks

10 minutes ago, teamsioux said:

Carson Shanks just tweeted he is leaving UND as a graduate transfer and will play somewhere else while pursuing his Masters degree.

Since he is doing it in pursuit of his Master's Degree, I don't have a problem with it.

Good luck Carson and thank you for your contributions to UND athletics! :)

12 minutes ago, teamsioux said:

Carson Shanks just tweeted he is leaving UND as a graduate transfer and will play somewhere else while pursuing his Masters degree.

hope he does well somewhere. he wasn't very good but he was a good ambassador for UND

• Upvote 3

A little disappointing, he seemed to play better as the year went on. Last year, and early on this year, I always hated seeing him out there over Avants. But he played pretty well against Arizona, while Avants looked completely outmatched. Best of luck to the kid. Seemed like a pretty good teammate and person off the court. Anyone know where he is headed?

Will UND bring in someone else to replace Shanks then? Any potential big guys on the radar?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

A little disappointing, he seemed to play better as the year went on. Last year, and early on this year, I always hated seeing him out there over Avants. But he played pretty well against Arizona, while Avants looked completely outmatched. Best of luck to the kid. Seemed like a pretty good teammate and person off the court. Anyone know where he is headed?

Will UND bring in someone else to replace Shanks then? Any potential big guys on the radar?

Hopefully they bring in someone with the last name Swish instead of Shanks.

• Upvote 2

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 5:18 PM, hoops44 said:

No team will be close to being the fav vs the field in tourney 7 teams could get hot catch some breaks and win it very balanced . 

Shanks, McDermott, assistant coaches. They could have been on a tear if they were able to keep people in the program longer.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Shanks, McDermott, assistant coaches. They could have been on a tear if they were able to keep people in the program longer.

McDermott was a tough loss. Can't really blame Shanks though. Transferring to start grad school is much different than just leaving the program because you don't like the coaches, the situation, the school, or the team culture.

• Upvote 1