SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of youth hockey in the gf area

Vegas_Sioux

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

I live in Vermillion.  The wrestlers here start young, about 8.  Many of them train out of Legends of Gold wrestling in nearby Beresford.  They attend tournaments all over the state and region starting at a young age, Rapid City, Iowa City, Omaha, Des Moines, etc.  My buddy's kid (my son's classmate) is an 8th grader that wrestled varsity and just placed 2nd at State.  He was, at one point a couple years ago, the #1 ranked wrestler in the western states. 

Yeah, it's probably a little more than just throwing on a singlet as a freshman or doing a little youth wrestling.  But I will add these kids are serious wrestlers, winning state titles, and getting D1 rides (one of them is one scholarship at SDSU now, I know another that was at Nebraska years ago).  Maybe it's because we're closer to the wrestling hotbed of Iowa.  Wrestling is just serious here, like hockey is in Minnesota or North Dakota.  Check out Legends of Gold on Facebook and you'll know what I am talking about. 

Where I lived when I started(Napoleon, ND) you started in Kindergarten and only stopped in middle school/high school if you were going to struggle to ever make varsity.  We went anywhere from Dickinson to Grand Forks once we were maybe 8-9 in addition to the local stuff.  Iowa is nuts when it comes to wrestling and that would make sense with the proximity.

Our North Dakota "All Star" team or whatever went down to Iowa and wrestled some team from Ohio, coached by some ex-Olympian.  I think a year's 'tuition' or whatever to work with him was around $10,000.  It didn't go very well.

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:
2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

The above was stated earlier.  Meaning they play many more games and have many more practices than basketball does.  Meaning cost is elevated.  Hockey involves more practices, camps, and tournaments than other sports and they space them out damn near year round now.  That is undeniable.  

I'll just leave you with this;  My daughter's soccer season time off, if I let take over? A couple weeks in November and 2 weeks in August.  Volleyball time off is fortunately November to February, then just camps in June and July before school tryouts/practices start again in August.  The point being, it's not just hockey, but many sports that will go year-around if you let them.

I don't think anyone has said hockey doesn't take up a lot of time... just that a variety of sports will do the same thing.

Edit: No idea what the double quote box thing is?!?!

Edited by siouxforcefans
quote function issues

2 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

At least some of them do. I don't know how many because I didn't pay much attention to the legion teams this past summer.

I'm not sure if any of the RR kids still play legion  at that age group. The local GF  legion coaches are hard core 2 hour  practices and be there an hour early. That's 3 hours a day. If u miss a practice u  sit a game. He gives 2 personal days. Hard to go to other sport camps, go to the lake, church fundtion, vacation or whatever the case may be. If I sound bitter I am. All the better kids have quit and the younger ones will soon to be quitting.

58 minutes ago, siouxperseven said:

I'm not sure if any of the RR kids still play legion  at that age group. The local GF  legion coaches are hard core 2 hour  practices and be there an hour early. That's 3 hours a day. If u miss a practice u  sit a game. He gives 2 personal days. Hard to go to other sport camps, go to the lake, church fundtion, vacation or whatever the case may be. If I sound bitter I am. All the better kids have quit and the younger ones will soon to be quitting.

I know at least a few of the Red River hockey kids played on the Blues last year, but I don't know about the Royals.

49 minutes ago, siouxperseven said:

In South Dakota we not only have summer Legion ball but also spring high school ball (Club).  I looked at the schedule for this spring and 7 out of the 11 game days my boy is involved with spring hockey.  Coach has much of the same rules, miss 1 practice sit for a game, 2 practices was multiple games, 3 events your off the team.  Thing is he can make every practice because it is right after school, the games are the issue.  Simple question to my son, "what do you want to do?"  Answer, "I want to play hockey".  Well that was settled rather easily, once spring hockey is over he'll play summer Legion ball, especially for the $175 they want to charge to be on the club team for a short spring season.  Not bagging on the dollar amount, it is what it is, but we have been talking numbers in this thread.  Found out the other day, your son doesn't need to sign up to be on the team but he's welcome to come to practice, we want him to at least be at practice.

Point is it is great that coaches have rules, I admire them for that, they should have rules.  Sometimes though, those rules really restrict kids and they are forced to give up something because they can't give 100% commitment to it.  My kid loves both sports but can only do one at a time and he has made his choice.  This isn't a town with an unlimited supply of players to take his place.  Not saying my kid is above the team or more important than the team but I kind of expected that to happen as it is a scenario where the town needs players and they need to retain their athletes.  They can't have these rigid rules and keep their athletes, sometimes compromises need to be made.  I'm glad they made that compromise and will allow him to practice so he's ready to go for the summer season.  Probably not the same deal up in GF but it would be ideal if every coach could be flexible when it is possible to be.

3 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

In South Dakota we not only have summer Legion ball but also spring high school ball (Club).  I looked at the schedule for this spring and 7 out of the 11 game days my boy is involved with spring hockey.  Coach has much of the same rules, miss 1 practice sit for a game, 2 practices was multiple games, 3 events your off the team.  Thing is he can make every practice because it is right after school, the games are the issue.  Simple question to my son, "what do you want to do?"  Answer, "I want to play hockey". 

What is "spring hockey"?  Wouldn't regular season hockey have literally just ended before spring hockey begins?

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

What is "spring hockey"?  Wouldn't regular season hockey have literally just ended before spring hockey begins?

It is also know as "swimming with paddles"! ;)

11 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You are correct.  His regular season just ended and spring season practice starts a few days later.  Practice a couple of times a week through March and April and a few weeks into May, two tournaments in Minneapolis plus national camp tryouts in April.  Who knows?  If he makes it through the first round of national camp we'll be up in GF the first week of May for Northern Plains District camp.  Maybe one of you guys can put us up for a few days? 

1 hour ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

I know at least a few of the Red River hockey kids played on the Blues last year, but I don't know about the Royals.

Yea some RR kids played Blues last year....possibly not this year though. But the age group mentioned above would have been first year Royals. They didn't play and they were  awesome players.  It's exactly like Yote was saying...good to have rules but it's forcing kids to make a choice. I've heard all the Fargo teams lightened up because kids were dropping BB for the lake, hockey etc. Unfortunately my son will join the ranks and not play legion I'm afraid. Good luck to your son Yote on Festival tryout!!  

17 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

So we are up to winter hockey, spring hockey, and some summer hockey.  Is there fall hockey, too?  

Yep that's fall select league, you go through that to get to the select spring league that in mn used to send kids to the ntdp camp. 

7 hours ago, siouxperseven said:

To be fair, shouldn't the baseball coach be able to expect his team to be there since it is baseball season? He is taking it seriously, since he signed up to coach the team, so why shouldn't the kids (parents)?

• Upvote 1

As long as players and parents are well-rounded and keep it in perspective, the time and financial commitment is kinda more like a barometer than a thermostat.

My kid is good- better than most boys 2-3 years older, he is way too young to make a decision as to if he is REALLY good, and even more premature to make a decision if he is D1 good or crazy thought- won the genetic lottery to be NHL good.  I am fortunate to be able to fund and support whatever he wants to do- 

That said, I have a professional and social life away from hockey.  I think my son should too- not to say his hockey buddies aren't his besties, or that I don't love hoisting a few with the moms and dads in the hotels.  

My thought is simple:  let him have a blast, if he wants to play in a AAA select tournament, let him, if he wants to climb on the monkey bars, let him.  Teach him to be a good teammate, a good friend, to learn that hard work and collaboration can take you anywhere.  

• Upvote 3

I am feeling philosophical tonight- there are so many measures of success, and we never appreciate all that we've been given and all that we give.  My grandfathers were both of the greatest generation and both fought in WW2.  They were never rich men by financial terms.  They weren't blessed in athletic terms.  They both had standing room only funerals due to all of the lives they impacted.  

That is what we need to teach our children, and sport is part of the development of character that creates men and women, who, leave this earth better than they found it by a hyperbolic margin.

On 3/16/2016 at 10:48 AM, Fetch said:

Is it true that young kids that really have talent but low income family - they find a way to help them ?

So the next Wayne Gretzky could be in a low income family & never be discovered

8 minutes ago, Fetch said:

So the next Wayne Gretzky could be in a low income family & never be discovered

I suspect it varies from league to league, but I have no doubt that there are at least some resources for needy families just about everywhere. (As hard as it may be to ask for help, that's all it takes.) USA Hockey also sponsors a number of initiatives.

Youth hockey parents are, in my experience as a travel parent, some of the most caring and generous people you will find, notwithstanding what they are already laying out for their own player(s).

16 hours ago, choyt3 said:

To be fair, shouldn't the baseball coach be able to expect his team to be there since it is baseball season? He is taking it seriously, since he signed up to coach the team, so why shouldn't the kids (parents)?

Yes you are right but to a point. 2 days for an entire summer is not enough. And then you have to decide what kind of team do you want. If you want a team that can compete for championships with kids who are there most but not all the time or do you want a team where the kids show up all the time that can win most games but have no chance at playoffs. That's what it depends on. Kind of the same as Sioux hockey..2 year players vs 4 year players. Which is the right way to go? Wow that was to much insight for one day! 

47 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

In our association, if a child was truly in need and had an economic hardship he would be given a scholarship through a foundation we are affiliated with, or frankly, the Board could move to waive the registration in lieu of volunteer hours.  We have equipment coming out of our ears right now, except for skates, we need to work on a good skate loaner program.  Other gear we have boxes that have never been opened.

For travel hockey, when there are players that are truly needy, there would be parents who would go in together to pick up the tab, or our foundation would step in.  We're kind of dealing with that right now with a couple of players whose parents recently divorced.  The support system just isn't there right now for traveling so we (the team parents) told the parents we'll take care of it.  We make sure they have rides, food, lodging, etc.  The dues are still being paid by the parents but if the day ever comes they say no more hockey, that they're not paying for it, we've already decided we'll financially support the players so they can finish out high school.  They started the journey, not their fault their family fell apart.  As long as they're good kids who hold up their end they'll get the support they need.

Our hockey association is quite similar. Scholarship is for need, up to 50% of all fees. I believe the only proof needed is a form that shows that the family qualifies for free or reduced lunch from the school district. They have tried getting families to do the volunteer thing in exchange of payment, but had a family commit, then do nothing, not one hour, so I think that went away. That said, I don't know that anyone asking for help has been turned down. Car pooling to away games and tournaments is encouraged. Equipment, everything needed, is also available for $40. 

My kids both are hockey players. They love it. We love it. Our hockey "family" is just that, a family. We see them all grow up, even the non-playing siblings. We look out for them. We care for each of those kids as if they are our own. The way I look at it, what am I missing? Going to the bar? Missing some tv shows? Missing out on more overtime? The cost is all relative. In the whole scheme of things, a child's hockey career is pretty short. Letting my kids play a sport they love for a few short years is so worth it to me. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

As long as players and parents are well-rounded and keep it in perspective, the time and financial commitment is kinda more like a barometer than a thermostat.

My kid is good- better than most boys 2-3 years older, he is way too young to make a decision as to if he is REALLY good, and even more premature to make a decision if he is D1 good or crazy thought- won the genetic lottery to be NHL good.  I am fortunate to be able to fund and support whatever he wants to do- 

That said, I have a professional and social life away from hockey.  I think my son should too- not to say his hockey buddies aren't his besties, or that I don't love hoisting a few with the moms and dads in the hotels.  

My thought is simple:  let him have a blast, if he wants to play in a AAA select tournament, let him, if he wants to climb on the monkey bars, let him.  Teach him to be a good teammate, a good friend, to learn that hard work and collaboration can take you anywhere.  

I know hockey and baseball are different but my cousin Jeremy had MLB scouts at his Babe Ruth baseball games so that's what 8th and 9th grade?

On March 16, 2016 at 9:01 AM, siouxforcefans said:

I read it, and guessed the writer had not played sports.  Is hockey expensive? Yep.  Are sports invaluable for learning teamwork, how to win, how to lose, personal accountability, how to rise above challenges, etc., etc., etc.,?  Abso-freaking-lutely! 

IMHO, there is no better way to prepare for being an adult.  If hockey is the chosen sport, so be it.

Oh and maybe it's also fun to play. I think people are forgetting that sports are to be enjoyed by everyone. 

• Upvote 1