SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of youth hockey in the gf area

Vegas_Sioux

This is somewhat similar in any area that has large youth hockey programs.  It is amazing to see the way youth hockey has changed over the last several decades.  To see how youth hockey has changed, come to the Squirt International Tournament in Fargo.  At least one team had a chartered bus and showed up a day early to practice in Fargo.  Very similar routine that you would see with D1 college hockey.  To me it is scary what is being done.  That said, as someone who has kids in youth hockey it is something that our whole family loves for multiple reasons.

http://www.inforum.com/letters/3987559-letter-choices-hockey-parents-preclude-smarter-opportunities

My response to this guy…"Kids can't skate, huh?"

In all seriousness, though.  Does this guy have any clue what youth hockey -- and I'm thinking specifically of the recently concluded, 3-week Squirt International -- does in terms of local and regional economic impact in Fargo?  Hotels?  Restaurants?  Teams, parents, and families that literally fly in from afar?

Maybe if he opened his eyes, he would realize that the overall impact of the "hockey religion" is actually creating additional opportunities for his children, albeit indirect.  And hockey "cathedrals" tend to do more than host hockey in their respective school districts and communities.  Performances?  Graduations?  Recreational ice and non-ice uses?  Emergency shelters?  Not to mention that they are a source of pride for many.

This guy needs to go and see a few HS football stadiums in Texas.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

http://www.inforum.com/letters/3987559-letter-choices-hockey-parents-preclude-smarter-opportunities

My response to this guy…"Kids can't skate, huh?"

In all seriousness, though.  Does this guy have any clue what youth hockey -- and I'm thinking specifically of the recently concluded, 3-week Squirt International -- does in terms of local and regional economic impact in Fargo?  Hotels?  Restaurants?  Teams, parents, and families that literally fly in from afar?

Maybe if he opened his eyes, he would realize that the overall impact of the "hockey religion" is actually creating additional opportunities for his children, albeit indirect.  And hockey "cathedrals" tend to do more than host hockey in their respective school districts and communities.  Performances?  Graduations?  Recreational ice and non-ice uses?  Emergency shelters?  Not to mention that they are a source of pride for many.

This guy needs to go and see a few HS football stadiums in Texas.

And let's not underestimate the benefits of playing a "team sport" such as hockey. Many studies have shown girls that play a sport growing up and thru HS are at a far less risk of pregnancy than those that don't. Studies have also shown HS student-athletes by and large outperform their non-athlete peers academically as well. This letter is overflowing with ignorance and arrogance. Pretty pathetic IMO.

• Upvote 1

It's kinda expensive for grandparents too - but worth it to the max

Never realized my winters would be spent helping & just going to my 2 grandsons hockey games & we love it

It does help that they are both really good :D

I'm loving seeing all the regional rinks

• Upvote 1

I read it, and guessed the writer had not played sports.  Is hockey expensive? Yep.  Are sports invaluable for learning teamwork, how to win, how to lose, personal accountability, how to rise above challenges, etc., etc., etc.,?  Abso-freaking-lutely! 

IMHO, there is no better way to prepare for being an adult.  If hockey is the chosen sport, so be it.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

I read it, and guessed the writer had not played sports.  Is hockey expensive? Yep.  Are sports invaluable for learning teamwork, how to win, how to lose, personal accountability, how to rise above challenges, etc., etc., etc.,?  Abso-freaking-lutely! 

IMHO, there is no better way to prepare for being an adult.  If hockey is the chosen sport, so be it.

That is part of what he is talking about.  Chosen SPORT.  Not SPORTS.  

31 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

That is part of what he is talking about.  Chosen SPORT.  Not SPORTS.  

You're being too literal.  Any sport will be expensive.  Looked at the price of basketball camps lately?  What about the newest soccer cleats?  His opinion can be applied to any sport you want to pick.  In some the equipment is more, while others have higher transportation costs or coaching/participation fees.  The writer got an opportunity to pick on hockey because of the recent article, his targets for where the money goes would have to be applied to all.

18 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

You're being too literal.  Any sport will be expensive.  Looked at the price of basketball camps lately?  What about the newest soccer cleats?  His opinion can be applied to any sport you want to pick.  In some the equipment is more, while others have higher transportation costs or coaching/participation fees.  The writer got an opportunity to pick on hockey because of the recent article, his targets for where the money goes would have to be applied to all.

Participating in sports, not sport.  That was my point, not the money part.

Comparing the cost of hockey to basketball is at best egregious.  

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:30 AM, Old Time Hockey said:

This is somewhat similar in any area that has large youth hockey programs.  It is amazing to see the way youth hockey has changed over the last several decades.  To see how youth hockey has changed, come to the Squirt International Tournament in Fargo.  At least one team had a chartered bus and showed up a day early to practice in Fargo.  Very similar routine that you would see with D1 college hockey.  To me it is scary what is being done.  That said, as someone who has kids in youth hockey it is something that our whole family loves for multiple reasons.

LOL.  A few years back when my kid played in the International we rented ice for practice before the tournament too.  You need to understand a couple of things about your statements.  First, for the team that traveled by bus it was probably far cheaper for them to do it that way than it was for the families to drive separately.  There were a few teams that chartered buses when we were there.  Second, ice time rental in Fargo was $90/hour, that is really cheap.  We pay about $150/hour where we live and that is considered very cheap relative to other areas.  In some cities ice rental is running $250-$350 or more/hour.  So when you get the opportunity to rent ice that cheap you take it.  We had a scheduled practice on Thursday night that we had to miss due to travel to Fargo for the Squirt OIympics that night.  We in essence "traded' our $150/hour practice for a $90/hour practice at Teamsters.

As to the cost of youth hockey these days, I personally feel it is cheaper than when I played in the 80's/early 90's and is still well worth every penny I pay.  I love it.  My last pair of skates where CCM Tacks that cost about $400, that's in 1989 dollars which is $785 in today's dollars.  Now you can buy far better skates than what I wore for about $300.  Sure, wood sticks were about $20 a pop back then but I would go through at least a dozen a season.  Today you can spend $200 on a stick, if you want to, but you don't have to.  Very good sticks can be purchased for about $100 and will last about a half a season or more (I picked up two CCM RBZ 150 Intermediates for $70 each about a month ago, that's a good deal).  Protective equipment today is better and relatively cheaper.  Again, you don't need top of the line, a step above mid-grade is a very good equipment value.  Registration costs aren't that bad where we live.  You'll easily pay a $100 fee for your 8 yr old daughter to play rec soccer for a month and a half, yet people balk at paying $1,000 at Bantams for a 5 month season where your kid gets 3 practices a week and a schedule of about 45-50 games?  I call that value.  The one cost that is painful is travel costs, it's about $250 every time we go out of town for hotel/gas/food.  We manage to keep it that low because we share room and travel expenses with another player on the team.

So you're focused on the "specializing" not the opined "where you could be spending the money"?  In that case, yes, I missed your point, as I had been writing about money when you quoted me.

On the basketball cost comparison - I have family members who, including travel ball, camps, school, and the like, spend well over the $5,000 per kid in the letter.  It's all in how far you take it. What's it gotten them? Intangibles and memories.  Beyond that? A D-2 scholarship for the oldest, but for her siblings and cousins it's still an unknown.

I will concede that while you can rent hockey pads, the sticks will definitely get you. :D

My friends used to laugh at me and think I was crazy for my kid playing hockey.  I had one friend in the Cities who wouldn't let his kid play hockey due to the "high cost".  His son and daughter both play lacrosse now.  I have a good time ribbing him now because he pays out the nose for his kids to travel to tournaments in Chicago, Colorado, and even Virginia.  I pointed out that he should have had his kids play hockey because he never would have had to drive more than 1/2 hour from home (living in the Cities) and the school picks up the cost once they get to high school. 

I also have friends who are doing AAU basketball.  Just as expensive as hockey, even more in some cases.  Don't even get me started about one of my friends whose kid is a wrestler.  Monthly dues to the place he trains at, travel all over the country for tournaments, that is expensive.

I am on the recruiting committee for my local association and I hate articles like this and the mantra that "hockey is so expensive".  It's tough to recruit against and break down the stereotype.  Guess what?  If your kid is going to play any sport at a level above "rec" than there are going to be costs involved.  Like I tell my basketball playing friends, when your kid gets to high school there are 5 players on the floor and about 3 off the bench, that's 8 players who get varsity action out of 3 grades.  You think your kid is going to be one of them?  You are a 5-11 white guy and you're banking on basketball for your kid.  There are 20 players on a varsity hockey roster and about the same on a varsity baseball roster.  Get him a hockey stick for the winter and a baseball bat for the summer.  Your kid will thank you when he actually sees the ice or field when he's in high school.

The writer of the article would rather we just pocket our money and save it for college while our kids sit at home and do nothing.  I know kids like that, who do nothing, and they are in nothing but trouble. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Yote 53 said:

My friends used to laugh at me and think I was crazy for my kid playing hockey.  I had one friend in the Cities who wouldn't let his kid play hockey due to the "high cost".  His son and daughter both play lacrosse now.  I have a good time ribbing him now because he pays out the nose for his kids to travel to tournaments in Chicago, Colorado, and even Virginia.  I pointed out that he should have had his kids play hockey because he never would have had to drive more than 1/2 hour from home (living in the Cities) and the school picks up the cost once they get to high school. 

I also have friends who are doing AAU basketball.  Just as expensive as hockey, even more in some cases.  Don't even get me started about one of my friends whose kid is a wrestler.  Monthly dues to the place he trains at, travel all over the country for tournaments, that is expensive.

I am on the recruiting committee for my local association and I hate articles like this and the mantra that "hockey is so expensive".  It's tough to recruit against and break down the stereotype.  Guess what?  If your kid is going to play any sport at a level above "rec" than there are going to be costs involved.  Like I tell my basketball playing friends, when your kid gets to high school there are 5 players on the floor and about 3 off the bench, that's 8 players who get varsity action out of 3 grades.  You think your kid is going to be one of them?  You are a 5-11 white guy and you're banking on basketball for your kid.  There are 20 players on a varsity hockey roster and about the same on a varsity baseball roster.  Get him a hockey stick for the winter and a baseball bat for the summer.  Your kid will thank you when he actually sees the ice or field when he's in high school.

The writer of the article would rather we just pocket our money and save it for college while our kids sit at home and do nothing.  I know kids like that, who do nothing, and they are in nothing but trouble. 

Any sport will be expensive if you do that stuff. 

I'll ask my dad about the costs that went with wrestling on a yearly average.  The guy in your example seems to be somewhere very very different than North Dakota...monthly dues?  Traveling all over the country?  Good Lord.

3 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

AAU Basketball is when they get much older around here, 8th grade, maybe, if you want to and are good enough.  Add up the costs of playing the sports from the age of 6-7 on.  Basketball is not expensive until almost high school, if the kid even makes it there.  Hockey gets real at mite age and the kid might not make it to Bantams.  

As far as time involved, there is no comparison between sports.  Hockey slowly takes over every month and squeezes out other sports, making it more expensive.  Factor in all the gas driving to and from practices each week at $2 a gallon.  How many hockey players play baseball in the summer?

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

How many hockey players play baseball in the summer?

A lot of them do in Grand Forks. Quite a few of the players on this year's Red River hockey team played baseball together through the years, won state Babe Ruth tournaments and went on to regional tournaments. I believe that at least some of them also play for the Red River baseball team.

5 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

A lot of them do in Grand Forks. Quite a few of the players on this year's Red River hockey team played baseball together through the years, won state Babe Ruth tournaments and went on to regional tournaments. I believe that at least some of them also play for the Red River baseball team.

Do they play legion still?

20 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Any sport will be expensive if you do that stuff. 

I'll ask my dad about the costs that went with wrestling on a yearly average.  The guy in your example seems to be somewhere very very different than North Dakota...monthly dues?  Traveling all over the country?  Good Lord.

Kind of what I was thinking.  My son's doing club wrestling.  He's practiced three nights a week and wrestled in 3 tournaments over the last month.  Total cost so far is $39 for registration fees combined.  No overnight stays and I've probably spent about $100 total in gas and food.  No dues and i get the $50 deposit back for the singlet.

23 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

AAU Basketball is when they get much older around here, 8th grade, maybe, if you want to and are good enough.  Add up the costs of playing the sports from the age of 6-7 on.  Basketball is not expensive until almost high school, if the kid even makes it there.  Hockey gets real at mite age and the kid might not make it to Bantams.  

As far as time involved, there is no comparison between sports.  Hockey slowly takes over every month and squeezes out other sports, making it more expensive.  Factor in all the gas driving to and from practices each week at $2 a gallon.  How many hockey players play baseball in the summer?

The bolded should be followed by "if you let it".  Just like all sports.  I don't know too many kids who only play hockey.

As for the gas - don't you drive to any sports' practices?  Unless you're lucky enough to have them in your own backyard, that is?  I know I had to drive my daughter to and from her JO volleyball practice Monday night...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

The bolded should be followed by "if you let it".  Just like all sports.  I don't know too many kids who only play hockey.

As for the gas - don't you drive to any sports' practices?  Unless you're lucky enough to have them in your own backyard, that is?  I know I had to drive my daughter to and from her JO volleyball practice Monday night...

yet people balk at paying $1,000 at Bantams for a 5 month season where your kid gets 3 practices a week and a schedule of about 45-50 games?  I call that value

The above was stated earlier.  Meaning they play many more games and have many more practices than basketball does.  Meaning cost is elevated.  Hockey involves more practices, camps, and tournaments than other sports and they space them out damn near year round now.  That is undeniable.  

I live in Vermillion.  The wrestlers here start young, about 8.  Many of them train out of Legends of Gold wrestling in nearby Beresford.  They attend tournaments all over the state and region starting at a young age, Rapid City, Iowa City, Omaha, Des Moines, etc.  My buddy's kid (my son's classmate) is an 8th grader that wrestled varsity and just placed 2nd at State.  He was, at one point a couple years ago, the #1 ranked wrestler in the western states. 

Yeah, it's probably a little more than just throwing on a singlet as a freshman or doing a little youth wrestling.  But I will add these kids are serious wrestlers, winning state titles, and getting D1 rides (one of them is one scholarship at SDSU now, I know another that was at Nebraska years ago).  Maybe it's because we're closer to the wrestling hotbed of Iowa.  Wrestling is just serious here, like hockey is in Minnesota or North Dakota.  Check out Legends of Gold on Facebook and you'll know what I am talking about. 

My son plays hockey in the winter/spring.  Track in the spring.  Legion ball in the summer.  Still does stick and puck and a few practices and camps/clinics in July/August along with picking up an August tournament with his summer team, Blaze Cup or Summer Finale, something like that, then plays football in the fall.  Yeah, it's a lot and I expect he will probably be dropping a few sports in the next few seasons, most likely track and maybe even football.  His two favorite sports are hockey and baseball which complement each other perfectly season-wise so I could see him stick with those throughout high school.