SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

On April 29, 2016 at 0:40 AM, DAR said:

I am surprised about LJ...he will never sniff the NHL.  I think he stays

He has an NHL shot, wins face offs. He's tough.  If he remains disciplined, and plays smart he can overcome what some think is lack of speed.  He was able to be very effective against a lot of faster guys in college. As you move to the next level, there are more of those fast guys.  The big guys are faster and the fast guys are bigger and tougher.  How big is his heart?  He will have to work harder and play smarter than the faster guys.  It will be a challenge but I wouldn't say never.  Good luck to the kid.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, DAR said:

Wow pretty amazing he could his his degree in three years.  That is hard for anyone to do much less a student athlete.  Anyone know what his major was?

Wasn't it the tourism thing that most of the hockey players that are drafted major in?

5 hours ago, DAR said:

Wow pretty amazing he could his his degree in three years.  That is hard for anyone to do much less a student athlete.  Anyone know what his major was?

And I would bet very few hockey players who play some of their high school years away from home bag a lot of AP exams in high school that transfer into credits at some colleges.  I suspect UND honors AP credits with a 4 or 5 on the test. 

1 hour ago, Emerald joker said:

Anyone know what that Recreation and Tourism studies is? It sounds like a major that just helps certain athletes get through college till they go pro

I knew a couple non-athletes who had that major. Still not sure what it really is, but they're in sales and marketing positions now. 

4 hours ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

The major could be scratching your butt and watching TV and it would it be difficult to graduate in three years with the way college courses are set up.

My roommate completed this exact major, but it took him 6 years.  It's now his career as well. 

• Upvote 4

On 5/1/2016 at 0:22 PM, Emerald joker said:

Anyone know what that Recreation and Tourism studies is? It sounds like a major that just helps certain athletes get through college till they go pro

Why does it matter what his degree was in? He left early because it was what was best for him and his development. Now he can focus himself on his main career in hockey.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Do any of you insiders know when Schmaltz is expected to make his announcement? Obviously the kid needs to take time and make the right decision for himself, just curious to know if anything has heard anything.

Grandpa Dan Schmaltz told me at the frozen four that Nick would take his time to decide this summer.  It would also depend on who's coming back. With Brock, Cam, Tucker and Gage returning, I still like our chances of Nick coming back.

29 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Do any of you insiders know when Schmaltz is expected to make his announcement? Obviously the kid needs to take time and make the right decision for himself, just curious to know if anything has heard anything.

All I know is that he was playing golf at King's Walk with Brock Boeser recently while Boeser had an interview with the Vancouver Sun

Also, Boeser was going for the green on hole 3 in two shots. I wouldn't expect anything less. :)

On 4/29/2016 at 4:29 PM, scpa0305 said:

oh come on, with a 50\50 decision that's not saying much.

With people liking to ridicule what info some do have on here I will just post what I have in private messages from now on. Seems to work better as there are always people that question it.

• Upvote 1