SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

11 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think we're going to see more out of Gersich and Wilkie. To name a couple. Gersich in particular, had 9 goals in a mostly 4th line role, I say that increases with more ice time. And I think Wolanin and Shaw will be good on the back end with increased ice time too. Valuable experience for them this year that will help them next year.

I think next year's team will just be set up a little bit different. Last year's was so good and experienced defensively. Next year's, the experience switches to the forwards.

Thanks to both Paul and LJ for providing Sioux fans alot of fantastic memories and the best of luck to the both of them.  That being said, I would not categorize next year as being a rebuilding year.  The freshmen that came in this year show alot of promise and I am confident a serious step up in their game.  At the end of the year, players like Gersich and Gardner were playing extremely well for Freshmen.  I also liked what I saw at times from Wilkie and JJ.  You could also see the development of Wolanin and Shaw and I expect both of them to step up their game next season.  With the quality once again of the incoming class, the Sioux are reloading, not rebuilding.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, as15 said:

There is no questioning that, I'm just saying that when you bring in a guy that led the USHL in goal scoring the previous year (Wilkie, tied with Boeser), you expect him to be more than a 4th line player/healthy scratch.  Some years that lack of production would cripple this team, this year it didn't because it typically took 3 goals to win a game, and the CBS line was good for that almost every game.

I was just poking- I know what you mean.  

The speed of the game at the next level is often a big adjustment, unless you are uber-special.  It seems that great skating and hockey IQ make the transition a lot easier. All these guys are good, and bring a pretty complete skill set, but skating and ability to read the play a full 200 feet makes the transition a lot easier.

45 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

What is odd about LJ leaving? He has probably peaked at UND in terms of development, so it would be in Chicago's best interest to sign him early and have him work on his game in their system. 

sorry, I disagree.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I told my friends on the way to Tampa... if UND wins #8, I don't care if everyone leaves.  They've earned it.

Exactly. Hats off to anyone and everyone.  I said the same thing last night to my wife. It doesn't hurt much at all having guys sign early, as they are leaving as champions to play pro hockey. Whether they make the NHL or not, is besides the point.    Also LJ in the right situation could make the pros, I'm amazed at some guys who make the pros and some who don't.   Let's cheer our alum on, not discount them. 

• Upvote 3

We'll be just fine next season and still a top 10 team with or without Schmaltz.  With him, we are still a top 3 team, so obviously fingers crossed he stays another year.   We had 11 freshmen, who most made great contributions, we were the 5th or so youngest team in the nation!   

We don't rebuild, we reload (see every year since 2002).

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Juniors are now peaking in development at UND?

College game is by far different than the NHL/AHL game. So yes, LJ development could've peaked at UND. The goal for all these players isn't to play college hockey, its to make it to the NHL and if LJ and the Blackhawks think he has peaked at UND, its time for him to move on. Who are we to say its a weird or a bad decision?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

College game is by far different than the NHL/AHL game. So yes, LJ development could've peaked at UND. The goal for all these players isn't to play college hockey, its to make it to the NHL and if LJ and the Blackhawks think he has peaked at UND, its time for him to move on. Who are we to say its a weird or a bad decision?

One could argue if your an average college hockey player you'll probably develop best playing in your current league before trying to jump to a level that might currently be above your skill level.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Exactly....the AHL is much much tougher than college hockey.  It is best to be prepared prior to going there.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Cratter said:

One could argue if your an average college hockey player you'll probably develop best playing in your current league before trying to jump to a level that might currently be above your skill level.

One could argue the opposite side of that too. Like I said before, LJ and the Blackhawks felt he would develop better in their organization, so he made the right choice for himself. Can't fault a guy for that...

19 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Sorta goes along with my "I'll take a .500 season if it meant winning a natty" statement.

No way this team is .500 next year.  They will have the best player in the country in Boeser, an All-American goalie, a potential All-American dman in Poolman, and one of the best leaders and shutdown d-men in the country in Ausmus.  Couple that with increased production and growth from Gardner, Poganski, Gersich, Wilkie, Wolanin, and Shaw, as well as bringing in the program's highest drafted player since Jonathan Toews, in Tyson Jost. 

With Schmaltz, they will be the best team in the country.  Without him, they will be top 5.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, as15 said:

No way this team is .500 next year.  They will have the best player in the country in Boeser, an All-American goalie, a potential All-American dman in Poolman, and one of the best leaders and shutdown d-men in the country in Ausmus.  Couple that with increased production and growth from Gardner, Poganski, Gersich, Wilkie, Wolanin, and Shaw, as well as bringing in the program's highest drafted player since Jonathan Toews, in Tyson Jost. 

With Schmaltz, they will be the best team in the country.  Without him, they will be top 5.

It will be interesting to see how Cam Johnson builds off of his success from this year. 

Just now, siouxkid12 said:

One could argue the opposite side of that too. Like I said before, LJ and the Blackhawks felt he would develop better in their organization, so he made the right choice for himself. Can't fault a guy for that...

I think LJ is an average scorer at this level, and a borderline elite shutdown center (minus the dumb stick penalties) at this level.  Maybe the Blackhawks want to see him develop more of that shutdown role at a higher level, because he is for sure ready for that.  I just have doubts about him ever playing in the NHL due to his lack of footspeed.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

Confirmed both gone.

Looks to be a rebuilding year next year.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.
When I look at our potential lineup next season (with Schmaltz), I see a team that is still probably in the top 5 nationally that could make a run at the repeat.
Without Schmaltz, the team loses some offensive firepower but would still make the NCAA's as a 2 or 3 seed would be my guess.

With the players returning and the great incoming class, I certainly wouldn't classify this upcoming year as rebuilding...

4 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Come out from where? If that question has the meaning behind it like I think it does, that is unacceptable and you should be ashamed of yourself! 

It was meant to be a joke, no big deal. You have to learn to laugh about things and not get into the PC crowd!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, squirtcoach said:

Hold on AMF, you are sounding like a dinkytowner there.  We take nothing for granted.:cool:

... especially when half of our defensive core have signed pro contracts, including the heart and soul of the team in Stecher.