SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Just goes to show that everybody that has a theory on who is going to leave is pure conjecture because for the most part we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

this one is more interesting though.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Just goes to show that everybody that has a theory on who is going to leave is pure conjecture because for the most part we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

Some of the guys that are contemplating leaving early should talk to others who left early because they thought they were ready and weren't.  Many regrets and in many instances screwed their chance to ultimately make it to the big show.

1 hour ago, fsioux said:

Some of the guys that are contemplating leaving early should talk to others who left early because they thought they were ready and weren't.  Many regrets and in many instances screwed their chance to ultimately make it to the big show.

I will happily volunteer to talk to them about the many benefits of staying around for 5 or 6 years.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, snooty89 said:

If we hang #8 I would bet LaDue, Stecher, Schmaltz are gone for sure.  If we somehow come up short who really knows. 

I'm actually 95% confident Stecher comes back. Ladue is nearly a guarantee that he's gone. I say Schmaltz is 50-50. I think it'd be a mistake if the Poganski thing is true.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, snova4 said:

I'm actually 95% confident Stecher comes back. Ladue is nearly a guarantee that he's gone. I say Schmaltz is 50-50. I think it'd be a mistake if the Poganski thing is true.

Why Ladue and not Stecher?

8 minutes ago, burd said:

Why Ladue and not Stecher?

I'll start with stating I have no inside info, but with how tough of a decision Ladue apparently had last summer, I just assume it's a foregone conclusion. Stecher, I agree with whoever said he's the best player on the team, has said in the past he saw himself as a four year player. He's on the small side for the NHL, so the more hype he can get the better, and my one inside discussion I happened on, the scout said they'd like to see him play another year.

52 minutes ago, squirtcoach said:

You never know.  Neither do ultimate insiders and even the skaters themselves.  I remember a few years ago talking to Brock Nelson's aunt and cousin at the final five in St. Paul, and Brock was definitely coming back for another year.  A few weeks later he signed.

Over a half mill signing bonus can do that to a guys already made decision. 

13 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

He will probably be in Iowa. From what I read the Wild left it completely up to him and he decided to sign I do believe Seeler may have already graduated though so that could be part of the reason.

You're correct. He's graduating this summer so he decided to move on. Can't ever fault a guy for moving on when they get their degree.

• Upvote 2

I just would assume the local kids would have a harder time leaving early if there was still unfinished business.  They can all leave if we win a title.  Could be quite the road to the title.  Northeastern on a run,  Michigan,  Denver,  BC perhaps.  Legendary.

15 hours ago, squirtcoach said:

You never know.  Neither do ultimate insiders and even the skaters themselves.  I remember a few years ago talking to Brock Nelson's aunt and cousin at the final five in St. Paul, and Brock was definitely coming back for another year.  A few weeks later he signed.

Some of Nelson's family have sat next to us at the Ralph from time to time and one said the year after he left he regretted leaving early. Now things have worked out well for Brock but put a list together of guys who left early in the last decade who have basically toiled in the minors.

7 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

From what I've heard, Stecher is as good as gone. 

Makes sense.  To continue his development he should go play a higher level of hockey.  He's typically the best player on the ice for most Sioux games.  Other players on the Sioux should look at his skill set before heading to the minors/NHL.  If they are not close to as good as Stech is they have no business leaving.  I'm guessing Stech signs with the Canucks....he may crack the team next year.

Stecher, Ladue (I guess), Poolman (only due to his age), Schmaltz, and Boeser are all players that should be flight risks.  Now we've heard that Boeser is most likely staying however if he left I would understand.  The confusing one's for me are Keaton Thompson, Poganksi, and LJ.  I just don't understand why the latter three would even consider leaving.  Johnson had a deal so I guess one would have to at least analyze the deal before considering whether or not to take it however I really hope he doesn't bite this year just because Ladue will be leaving.

I figured LaDue gone when he started Senior Night as the only defenseman with four senior forwards. 

The only thing I could see that may keep Stetcher at UND is what LaDue has and Stecher doesn't: 4 extra inches of height. 

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

From what I've heard, Stecher is as good as gone. 

I spoke with an NHL scout a little more than a week ago and he said Stecher's "Family Adivsor" said it would take an offer from Vancouver to get him to leave.  Otherwise, he'll be sticking around.

23 hours ago, tnt said:
2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Makes sense.  To continue his development he should go play a higher level of hockey.  He's typically the best player on the ice for most Sioux games.  Other players on the Sioux should look at his skill set before heading to the minors/NHL.  If they are not close to as good as Stech is they have no business leaving.  I'm guessing Stech signs with the Canucks....he may crack the team next year.

Stecher, Ladue (I guess), Poolman (only due to his age), Schmaltz, and Boeser are all players that should be flight risks.  Now we've heard that Boeser is most likely staying however if he left I would understand.  The confusing one's for me are Keaton Thompson, Poganksi, and LJ.  I just don't understand why the latter three would even consider leaving.  Johnson had a deal so I guess one would have to at least analyze the deal before considering whether or not to take it however I really hope he doesn't bite this year just because Ladue will be leaving.

Have to believe that some of these guys that are in the discussion will be serious candidates for Hobey Baker consideration next year.  I would think Stecher would most definitely be on that scoreboard when they announce the final 10.  We have seen a substantial jump in their development and each player has to analyze their situation but it never hurts to improve your leverage in contract negotiations.  There have been many who have left early only to toil in the lower levels and never realize their dream.

16 hours ago, GFG said:

You're correct. He's graduating this summer so he decided to move on. Can't ever fault a guy for moving on when they get their degree.

And he is 22 and about to be 23. I would love to jump on the Gopher bashing pile here but this  actually looks to  be a case where a kid is making the best decision for himself and his future.

• Upvote 1