SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

If London Fletcher could do it there's no reason Will can't.

Not saying Will couldn't, just saying they wont try him there because of height and reach.  Zach Thomas was short for that spot too and he was quite good but he lucked out in having coaches that decided to use him at his natural position and he didn't disappoint.  In todays NFL his best hope to make a roster is at FB.  God I hope he sticks at KC

12 hours ago, Milford torgerson said:

Not saying Will couldn't, just saying they wont try him there because of height and reach.  Zach Thomas was short for that spot too and he was quite good but he lucked out in having coaches that decided to use him at his natural position and he didn't disappoint.  In todays NFL his best hope to make a roster is at FB.  God I hope he sticks at KC

A quick comparison at Will and the Chiefs current FB, Anthony Sherman

Will is 5 years younger, meaning he already has a leg up because in today's NFL, and especially in the backfield, youth is a huge factor on if you can make the team or not. He's one inch taller (unofficially) and nearly 15 pounds heavier. Despite being bigger than Sherman, his 40 time is nearly a quarter of a second faster (Sherman 4.75, Ratelle 4.54). 

Of course, the only thing that matters at the end of the day is if you do your job better than the other guy. Will got a tough break, being behind DiMarco in Atlanta (one of the better fullbacks in the league) and injuring his ankle during training camp, but if he can outperform Sherman, there's a very good chance we'll see Ratelle playing on Sundays in 2017. 

8 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

A quick comparison at Will and the Chiefs current FB, Anthony Sherman

Will is 5 years younger, meaning he already has a leg up because in today's NFL, and especially in the backfield, youth is a huge factor on if you can make the team or not. He's one inch taller (unofficially) and nearly 15 pounds heavier. Despite being bigger than Sherman, his 40 time is nearly a quarter of a second faster (Sherman 4.75, Ratelle 4.54). 

Of course, the only thing that matters at the end of the day is if you do your job better than the other guy. Will got a tough break, being behind DiMarco in Atlanta (one of the better fullbacks in the league) and injuring his ankle during training camp, but if he can outperform Sherman, there's a very good chance we'll see Ratelle playing on Sundays in 2017. 

One other thing is salary.  Will is bargain vs a 5 year veteran.

6 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

One other thing is salary.  Will is bargain vs a 5 year veteran.

Very true. Sherman only has one year left on his contract and is scheduled to make nearly $2.3 million next year. If the Chiefs were to cut him, even after the $500,000 hit in dead cap, Will would still be a much cheaper option.

• 1 month later...

INDIANAPOLIS — Kenny Golladay had one offer coming out of St. Rita — the University of North Dakota.

Five years later, Golladay is fresh off two successful seasons at Northern Illinois and working out with the top prospects at the NFL Scouting Combine. It’s been an impressive ascent for the Englewood native.

“I’m glad [North Dakota] took a chance on a south side kid from Chicago,” Golladay said Friday, discussing his college path. “Then, I played my true freshman and true sophomore year, and the coaches ended up getting fired. I made my own highlight tape, sent it to my high school coach and asked him to give it to the college coaches coming in recruiting high school kids. NIU jumped on me and I sat out that first year, 2014, and then 2015 and 2016, hit the ground rolling.”

http://www.ccenterdispatch.com/sports/nfl/article_aa2f109d-a822-5be3-ade3-6c25940914d0.html

I would've loved to see him finish out his career at UND. I'll be watching for him on Sundays, along with Will Ratelle. 

19 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

http://www.ccenterdispatch.com/sports/nfl/article_aa2f109d-a822-5be3-ade3-6c25940914d0.html

I would've loved to see him finish out his career at UND. I'll be watching for him on Sundays, along with Will Ratelle. 

Kenny Is a great kid. Some people were understandably upset when he left but how can you really blame him. I hope he tears it up tomorrow and has a long career in the league. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2017 at 1:57 PM, siouxfan512 said:

Is there any news on Coe out there? With Pro days coming up, I assume he won't have one of his own, but would he go down for NDSU's pro day?

Maybe next spring you could get a UND Pro Day going, between Reyes, Harris, and a few other guys.

Coe is in California.

Preface: This is not a shot at UND.

The above comment got me thinking. Outside of a once in a lifetime situation like Carson Wentz created at NDSU last year, would UND ever host their own ProDay? Is it the NFL that decides who has enough talent to have a specific day at their school or can schools decide to host one and hope scouts show up? Obviously with travel to the Fargo airport being more convenient for commercial travel, scouts have an easier time getting in and getting out quickly, so will NDSU and UND, along with other local schools always congregate on NDSU's campus or how does it work?

9 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Preface: This is not a shot at UND.

The above comment got me thinking. Outside of a once in a lifetime situation like Carson Wentz created at NDSU last year, would UND ever host their own ProDay? Is it the NFL that decides who has enough talent to have a specific day at their school or can schools decide to host one and hope scouts show up? Obviously with travel to the Fargo airport being more convenient for commercial travel, scouts have an easier time getting in and getting out quickly, so will NDSU and UND, along with other local schools always congregate on NDSU's campus or how does it work?

My best guess-

UND will have a pro day next year if Cole Reyes has a good year and is healthy.   I think you need a legit draft pick to hold one.  Deion Harris could be intriguing at corner with his size, 6' 3".

I am sure SU will feature Da Luca and that will be enough talent to bring scouts in.  Anyone else??

It used to be a major accomplishment to perform at any pro day but it's trending toward hosting your own now and then feature it on social media, even at the fcs level.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

My best guess-

UND will have a pro day next year if Cole Reyes has a good year and is healthy.   I think you need a legit draft pick to hold one.  Deion Harris could be intriguing at corner with his size, 6' 3".

I am sure SU will feature Da Luca and that will be enough talent to bring scouts in.  Anyone else??

It used to be a major accomplishment to perform at any pro day but it's trending toward hosting your own now and then feature it on social media, even at the fcs level.

Yeah, I wonder how high of a prospect a school must have for it to be worth a specific trip to a school. It seems NDSU has hosted pro days recently, even before Wentz, when they had "low level" prospects. I've never known if they came to fargo because it was a hub of sorts for the region or if they came specifically to see the NDSU guys. Even back when I played we had 5 or 6 scouts show up, my senior year I don't think we had anyone get drafted. 

Interesting discussion, I don't know much about pro days or how they are organized.

• 2 weeks later...