SiouxSports.com Forum

Start Dancing

darell1976

Saw this little tidbit in the Heraldo today:

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/sports/college/3985191-out-ncaa-and-nit-ndsu-mens-basketball-says-no-any-other-possible-postseason

"We are appreciative of the postseason invitations and opportunities we received," Richman said. "However we feel it is in the best interest of our program to move forward now with our full focus on becoming the best version of the 2016-17 Bison."

So instead of accepting an invitation to a lower-level tournament, Richman and his team will instead focus on being better next season so they can qualify for the tournament that matters.  Setting high standards, what a concept!  Around here, that is considered being "entitled" and "spoiled". :silly: But it really explains the difference in results between the two programs.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/sports/college/3985191-out-ncaa-and-nit-ndsu-mens-basketball-says-no-any-other-possible-postseason

So instead of accepting an invitation to a lower-level tournament, Richman and his team will instead focus on being better next season so they can qualify for the tournament that matters.  Setting high standards, what a concept!  Around here, that is considered being "entitled" and "spoiled". :silly: But it really explains the difference in results between the two programs.

UND = CIT

NDSU = The Dance

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Have a very different interpretation:  NDSU doesn't have the money period.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Have a very different interpretation:  NDSU doesn't have the money period.

That's what I took it as. A lot of these lower level tournaments' teams pay guarantees to host and the visiting team pays their own way. They definitely aren't money makers for any of the schools. 

Just like the rest of the NoDak schools, NDSU is having to cut budgets in all of their departments. 

2 hours ago, dakotadan said:

That's what I took it as. A lot of these lower level tournaments' teams pay guarantees to host and the visiting team pays their own way. They definitely aren't money makers for any of the schools. 

Just like the rest of the NoDak schools, NDSU is having to cut budgets in all of their departments. 

Do you know how much UND has paid to play in the CIT?

8 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This has nothing to do with setting standards.  I've spoken with a few close to the program and NDSU has some injuries and locker room issues.  The coaches decided it's best to shut the season down.   Money could be an issue but that was not mentioned.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, homer said:

This has nothing to do with setting standards.  I've spoken with a few close to the program and NDSU has some injuries and locker room issues.  The coaches decided it's best to shut the season down.   Money could be an issue but that was not mentioned.  

Then by this logic, we should never accept invitations to tournaments like the CIT. And I wouldn't have a problem with that. It makes sense to focus 100% on making the tournament that everyone wants to be a part of, although if an NIT invitation ever came our way, I would want us to accept it.

3 hours ago, homer said:

NDSU performed pretty well in the Slummit League tournament for a team with "injuries and locker room issues". Another feather in the cap of Richman and their program.

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Does that mean the Men and Women are bidding for home games?  Wowza.

That was the impression that I got.  I was hoping Women might get WNIT as their RPI was in 90s earlier last week, but not even sure how many that tourney takes. And I don't think they'd host that.

4 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

NDSU performed pretty well in the Slummit League tournament for a team with "injuries and locker room issues". Another feather in the cap of Richman and their program.

Sure.  Go with that

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You don't think they did all that great? I think they overachieved considering they weren't even close to being the best Slummit League team on paper this year.

They won two games in their conference tourney.  

Preseaon #2

• Upvote 1

NDSU is picked to finish finish 2nd in the  Summit preseason polls. They finish 5th. They come back and finish 2nd in the conference tournament, so Richman is a great coach. UND is picked to finish 8th to 10th in Big Sky preseason polls. They finish 5th. They lose in the semifinals of the conference tournament to the conference champs. Jones is the worst coach on the planet. That's the logic for today.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

NDSU is picked to finish finish 2nd in the  Summit preseason polls. They finish 5th. They come back and finish 2nd in the conference tournament, so Richman is a great coach. UND is picked to finish 8th to 10th in Big Sky preseason polls. They finish 5th. They lose in the semifinals of the conference tournament to the conference champs. Jones is the worst coach on the planet. That's the logic for today.

Well, Richman does always wear a tie during games and doesn't get animated during games on sideline. 

9 hours ago, Kab said:

Should not pay to play

not in any ones budget when everyone needs to cut back

Regarding NDSU saying they'll just stay home, my first thought was "budget" also. I'd say Kab confirmed that for NDSU, but that doesn't appear to be an issue for UND. ;)

I'd be apt to believe NDSU's short bench (injuries) plays into it also. 

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Regarding NDSU saying they'll just stay home, my first thought was "budget" also. I'd say Kab confirmed that for NDSU, but that doesn't appear to be an issue for UND. ;)

I'd be apt to believe NDSU's short bench (injuries) plays into it also. 

Soccer team in Italy and softball team in Hawaii - yeah money is a problem.   If I was you I'd worry about your own budget.  There is a reason you guys have the lowest coaching salaries in the area. 

Just to shed some light on the NDSU situation I talked to a neighbor who's an NDSU booster and he said the decision had more to do with the SHAC not being done yet and having to deal with hosting games at Scheels arena. They were probably going to lose money on a CIT or CBI game so didn't make sense. Also have some injuries from what I hear.

I think most programs would want to keep playing as long as possible. Can't hurt IMO.

Weber with the 15 seed against Xavier. That'll be ugly for the BSC champs. BSC is going to have to get better scheduling and wins if they are going to get higher seeds. Also looks like SDSU got a tough draw with Maryland. Don't see an upset happening there.