SiouxSports.com Forum

Pride of North Band cut

Smoggy

29 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Random because I don't believe the band or their budget falls under athletics though they obviously work closely together on a lot of things. 

They're in a weird situation.  At least when I was there, it was a strange mix of music department and athletics.  They get some funding from each department. 

But in my mind, there's no way they could cut The Pride, which is primarily the marching band for football, and still have a respectable division 1 football program.

Sounds like rumors were wrong on faison. Now hearing it was the Dean of arts and sciences doing 4% cuts but gutting music massively. Not sure if pride was ever on chopping block but apparently big donor already came in guns ablazing complaining.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

They should cut sports before the band.

Agree.  I realize title 9 plays a big part so perhaps cut men's tennis and cross-country and also women's tennis to save bucks.  Those are life-long adult sports/recreation that are single/duo with playing/training opportunities well into later years of life (e.g. unlike football, baseball, hockey,...).  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Sounds like rumors were wrong on faison. Now hearing it was the Dean of arts and sciences doing 4% cuts but gutting music massively. Not sure if pride was ever on chopping block but apparently big donor already came in guns ablazing complaining.

Hence why a doc was recently profiled on studio one 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Hence why a doc was recently profiled on studio one 

I was a band member through college and Doc was a true pleasure to have known. All around great guy, as was band director Robert Brooks. Absolute privilege to have known those guys. True gentleman.

25 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I had heard the band was being cut also.  Had heard  about it Friday afternoon, same time I heard that they are trying to cut the music therapy department.  Agree that it would be bad to cut the Pride of the North.  

Might be worse to cut the therapy.  Not offered many places which means those kids can't transfer.  Might open up lawsuits.

11 hours ago, Smoggy said:

It wouldn't have been surprising for them to have some cuts as there were a lot of cuts made across the University as required by the governor. Athletics took on $1 million themselves. 

10 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Agree.  I realize title 9 plays a big part so perhaps cut men's tennis and cross-country and also women's tennis to save bucks.  Those are life-long adult sports/recreation that are single/duo with playing/training opportunities well into later years of life (e.g. unlike football, baseball, hockey,...).  

Those are all required by the Big Sky. The only sports that aren't are M&W hockey, M&W swimming and diving and baseball. If there are sports cut, look to that list for the options (while making sure to take Title IX into account). 

On 3/6/2016 at 11:12 PM, Smoggy said:

Might be worse to cut the therapy.  Not offered many places which means those kids can't transfer.  Might open up lawsuits.

I have heard that the Music Therapy program has been suspended indefinitely, which is unfortunate.  One would think they would look to cut music performance before music therapy.  In the business I work with, we utilize music therapists to work with people who have dementia.  Music Therapy has huge potential to make a difference for people with dementia as a non-pharmacological intervention.  Not really sure what types of jobs people with a music performance degree can get...I suppose music teachers?

• Upvote 1