SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU school song controversy

tnt

On 2/29/2016 at 8:56 PM, Herd said:

It will simply be changed.  No controversy, no argument, no congressional debate, no tax dollars spent, no fighting with the ncaa or NA folks.  It's done.

It is? What was the resolution? 

On March 1, 2016 at 10:40 PM, jdub27 said:

It is? What was the resolution? 

Striking of v3, dahhhh.   No committee, no taxpayer dollars, just a decision by the president . . . Something folks here would be unfamiliar with. 

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Herd said:

Striking of v3, dahhhh.   No committee, no taxpayer dollars, just a decision by the president . . . Something folks here would be unfamiliar with. 

Only because it was uncovered internally, before the outsiders attorneys showed up.

2 hours ago, Herd said:

Being smug is more effective when you at least have partial knowledge of situations.

Bresciani is now ordering that all but the first verse be removed from NDSU websites and publications. He has also asked the provost and vice president for student affairs to form a group of students, faculty and staff to study the song and “offer recommendations on the balance between our history and tradition of the song with contemporary concerns for its appropriateness.”

Is forming a group another way to say forming a committee?  I assume this committee will give a recommendation to the president. I am guessing they will also be served drinks and maybe some food at a meeting or two.  Sounds like a committee, money being spent and a  recomendation of a decision to the president to me.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:56 PM, Herd said:

It will simply be changed.  No controversy, no argument, no congressional debate, no tax dollars spent, no fighting with the ncaa or NA folks.  It's done.

Looks like the committee is still trying to figure out a resolution to a problem no one knew about or even apparently cared about after it Bresciani decided to make an announcement about but they are hoping that maybe by the end of the semester they'll have it figured out. Looks to be a lot more than simply changing it, but it's done right?

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

love it when facts get in the way of trolling...and the crickets just keep on chirping

It's a nothing article about a nothing topic where V3 or V2/3 will simply get moth balled.  The Pres is letting someone else decide, so a group is involved, but I don't see any concern, controversy or even a real issue, at all.  What facts are you so giddy about?  

• Downvote 2

I caught this the other day when re-visting the 2005 press release announcing the NCAA policy in another topic, and it probably does bear repeating in this thread.  This school song scrubbing exercise is more than just hypersensitivity on the part of NDSU, who definitely likes to host championship events on a regular basis.

Additionally, the committee suggested that institutions should review their publications and written materials for hostile and abusive references and remove those depictions, which is the current policy of the NCAA National Office.

• 1 month later...

I'm not going to bother to start a new topic, but how often do the students from FargoU write about UND in their student newspaper? Because I have little to no interest, I don't read it, but this is the second time in as many weeks that I've heard about articles written about UND in the Spectrum. Both articles appear to be mind-numbingly dumb but this crosses into some pretty serious accusations.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/region/4020009-700-copies-ndsu-paper-und-fraternity-accusations-it-disappear

In the opinion section, a column by Matt Frohlich accused fraternities at the University of North Dakota of making "a series of informal bribes to the university that allows them to operate above the law." Specifically, he cited a rumor that police don't bust UND fraternity parties out of fear that it would decrease charitable contributions to the school.

How about this story being behind the disappearances:

The front-page feature centered on a student's battle with heroin addiction—and noted that he recently relapsed—but Nitschke doubted that his friends would have stolen the papers.

Heroin addict at NDSU? Think maybe that person didn't want that story out?

And this surely wouldn't cause papers to be carted off by the habitually offended ... 

Frohlich's previous columns criticizing feminism and Islam have drawn ire from the student body. Last week, in his column titled "1 in 4 College Women Is Not Sexually Assaulted," he attempted to debunk that commonly cited rape statistic. It provoked a number of letters to the editor, five of which are being published in the paper Thursday, April 28, Nitschke said.

And did a columnist just accuse a sworn law enforcement organization of taking bribes? He'd better have more than rumor or I just heard a rumor that he may learn the definition of slander. ;) 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'm not going to bother to start a new topic, but how often do the students from FargoU write about UND in their student newspaper? Because I have little to no interest, I don't read it, but this is the second time in as many weeks that I've heard about articles written about UND in the Spectrum. Both articles appear to be mind-numbingly dumb but this crosses into some pretty serious accusations.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/region/4020009-700-copies-ndsu-paper-und-fraternity-accusations-it-disappear

Marsha! Marsha! Marsha!

• Upvote 3

Pretty legit opinion piece.  Cops didn't bust my house parties because I kept the mayor's wallet full, same thing probably happened at UND (or it could have been that without a complaint or being able to see the law being broken, the cops have NO RIGHT to enter the property).

tinfoil-hat-guy.jpg

From this guy's OpEd piece:

In the name of fairness, it was 10 years ago when I enrolled as an undergraduate at UND.

The dude is writing about his perceptions of events of a decade ago? 

And he's still writing OpEd for a student newspaper?  

• Upvote 1