SiouxSports.com Forum

Check out the new Logo concepts by Gridiron Labs

GLABS

37 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If your nickname is Tribe and you have a feather in your logo, then that's probably not gonna fly.  But is the NCAA really going to come to UND after their logo comes out and say that their bird logo can't have feathers?  As rediculous as it sounds, UND needs to nip tis in the bud and just ask for clarification.  Seems stupid to have to ask if birds can have feathers....but hey, its the NCAA!!! :D 

I would say if the feathers have a headdress look which it looked like it with the circle in the design then that's not going to fly, but take the circle out like in Fetch's post above and it looks good. 

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

If Indian imagery is okay in your eyes why did William & Mary had to drop the feathers from their "Tribe" logo? 

http://pilotonline.com/sports/william-and-mary-will-pluck-feathers-from-its-athletic-logo/article_a77b1478-0686-5374-9546-535f38ae3cec.html

" After thinking about suing to keep its two-feathered logo intact, College of William and Mary officials have decided the issue no longer is worth a fight.

The college announced Tuesday that it would phase out the feathers, which the NCAA says insults American Indians, but not without some public tongue-lashing. "

Well.....ah never mind.

30 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I would say if the feathers have a headdress look which it looked like it with the circle in the design then that's not going to fly, but take the circle out like in Fetch's post above and it looks good. 

Can you admit that you really do not know this? I'm not asking for your opinion. Seriously, you do NOT know this. That's all I'm trying to say about you, a few others on here, and the talking heads in that article that were part of the, big hard on,  that wanted the Sioux name gone. Opinions opinions opinions.......

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Can you admit that you really do not know this? I'm not asking for your opinion. Seriously, you do NOT know this. That's all I'm trying to say about you, a few others on here, and the talking heads in that article that were part of the, big hard on,  that wanted the Sioux name gone. Opinions opinions opinions.......

At least Ed Schafer knows that any NA imagery big or small is not going to be acceptable and that's not my opinion that is written fact said by the President of UND. He knows the do's and don'ts, so go ahead and blab on your "opinion", and we will find out May 27th what the final logo will look like.

27 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

You're unhappy with people making assumptions and having opinions, and you keep harping on the NCAA's "stance" as if it's a mystery, but we already know where they stand.  In fact, you're not going to get much more out of them than what was publicly stated more than 10 years ago:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/PressArchive/2005/Announcements/NCAA%2BExecutive%2BCommittee%2BIssues%2BGuidelines%2Bfor%2BUse%2Bof%2BNative%2BAmerican%2BMascots%2Bat%2BChampionship%2BEvents.html

Folks can argue about what "Native American imagery" means, but the only opinion that matters is the one coming out of Indianapolis.  And, as is so often the case, you won't know you've violated the "policy" until it's too late.  To be clear, UND can certainly choose to play with fire by paying a feathery homage to the Sioux logo, but the NCAA has doused the field with gasoline and North Dakota is fresh out of aloe vera.

Feathered birds are fine, as are feathered boas, for that matter.

barbie-party-supplies-all-dolld-up-feath

But anything even remotely NA or NA-inspired with exaggerated, decorative feathering or a feathered headdress or similar arrangement not found in nature is dead in the water.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

Funny how these people give advice on what they ASS U ME is the stance of the NCAA! Happens a lot on here also. Why doesn't someone just verify their stance? 

God forbid a feather on a bird logo!!! Just don't get it...

Well I'm going to ASSUME that the NCAA is going to come down on us if we try to slip something into the logo.   I am dead set against having the slightest hint of NA imagery in the logo.   I'm sorry but this needs to be done right.

I Love & will always wear my Fighting Sioux stuff

But I do completely agree that I don't want Native American to be part of the new logo - But I also don't think feathers on a Hawk is Native American & the ncaa would be beyond ignorant to claim we are trying to say otherwise 

But being the Bullies they are they may try to bully the weak

I KNOW FOR A FACT THE BEST WAY TO STOP A BULLY IS TO STAND UP TO THEM

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

You're unhappy with people making assumptions and having opinions, and you keep harping on the NCAA's "stance" as if it's a mystery, but we already know where they stand.  In fact, you're not going to get much more out of them than what was publicly stated more than 10 years ago:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/PressArchive/2005/Announcements/NCAA%2BExecutive%2BCommittee%2BIssues%2BGuidelines%2Bfor%2BUse%2Bof%2BNative%2BAmerican%2BMascots%2Bat%2BChampionship%2BEvents.html

Folks can argue about what "Native American imagery" means, but the only opinion that matters is the one coming out of Indianapolis.  And, as is so often the case, you won't know you've violated the "policy" until it's too late.  To be clear, UND can certainly choose to play with fire by paying a feathery homage to the Sioux logo, but the NCAA has doused the field with gasoline and North Dakota is fresh out of aloe vera.

Feathered birds are fine, as are feathered boas, for that matter.

barbie-party-supplies-all-dolld-up-feath

But anything even remotely NA or NA-inspired with exaggerated, decorative feathering or a feathered headdress or similar arrangement not found in nature is dead in the water.

Yes, unhappy. Not a fan of people that are in the, I think, verses the people in the, I know. I understand what you're saying, but I'm not harping on anything, I just like facts, not assumptions. Either way I voted for FH and I'm hoping for something to show history of the beautiful name we lost, that's all.

The problem is that the NCAA makes up "facts" as it needs them. Yes, that's crazy, but they get away with it. Better to cut them a wide berth at this point.

Again, bird with feathers is nature imagery; bird in a Native head dress ... Kind of the definition of Native imagery, eh?

• 3 months later...
On 2/24/2016 at 2:15 PM, GLABS said:

Check out Fighting Hawks logo and uniforms concepts from sports brand designers Gridiron Labs that deliver a true transition brand for backers of the Fighting Sioux nickname.  The full package along with logo stories can be checked out here:  bit.ly/1R1qTuP 

Cb_8QX1UkAAuknU.jpg

Cb_8QUhUEAEHdu6.jpg

Can anyone photopshop the top logo and add the beak and eye of Ben's latest hawk mockup, please? I think we are getting closer...

See -  ScreenHunter_219 Feb. 28 17.58.jpg