Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
GLABS

Check out the new Logo concepts by Gridiron Labs

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, chicofelipe said:

I call bull$%!#. The Bison is a considered a sacred animal to native americans. No problems there. The Seawolf is native american imagery. No problem there.

 

Quote

The thunderbird is a legendary creature in certain North American indigenous peoples' history and culture. It is considered a supernatural bird of power and strength. It is especially important, and frequently depicted, in the art, songs and oral histories of many Pacific Northwest Coast cultures, and is found in various forms among the peoples of the American Southwest, Great Lakes, and Great Plains.800px-Thunderbird_on_Totem_Pole.jpg

Quote

Thunderbird is a term used in cryptozoology to describe large, bird-like creatures, generally identified with the Thunderbird of Native American tradition.

Quote

Name: Thunderbird
Tribal affiliation: Sioux, Arapaho, Wichita, Ojibwe, Salish, many other tribes
Native names: Wakinyan (Sioux), Animikii (Anishinaabe), Boh'ooo or Etcitane:bate (Arapaho), Bha'a (Gros Ventre), Cigwe (Potawatomi), Enaemaehkiw/Inaemehkiwak (Menominee)
Type: Nature spirit, thunder, giant bird
Related figures in other tribes: Thunders (Iroquois), Thunder Beings (Lenape), Thunderers (Cherokee)


The Thunderbird is a widespread figure in Native American mythology, particularly among Midwestern, Plains, and Northwest Coast tribes. Thunderbird is described as an enormous bird (according to many Northwestern tribes, large enough to carry a killer whale in its talons as an eagle carries a fish) who is responsible for the sound of thunder (and in some cases lightning as well.) Different Native American communities had different traditions regarding the Thunderbird. In some tribes, Thunderbirds are considered extremely sacred forces of nature, while in others, they are treated like powerful but otherwise ordinary members of the animal kingdom. In Gros Ventre tradition, it was Thunderbird (Bha'a) who gave the sacred pipe to the people. Some Plains tribes associated thunderbirds with the summer season (in Arapaho mythology, Thunderbird was the opposing force to White Owl, who represented winter.)

Quote

Bison or buffalo are large, even-toed ungulates in the genus Bison within the subfamily Bovinae.

Two extant and four extinct species are recognized. Of the four extinct species, three were North American: Bison antiquus, B. latifrons, and B. occidentalis. The fourth, B. priscus, ranged across steppe environments from Western Europe, through Central Asia, and onto North America.

Of the two surviving species, the American bison, B. bison, found only in North America, is the more numerous. Although sometimes referred to historically as a "buffalo", it is only distantly related to the true buffalo. The North American species is composed of two subspecies, the plains bison, B. b. bison, and the wood bison, B. b. athabascae, which is the namesake of Wood Buffalo National Park in Canada. The European bison B. bonasus, or wisent, is found in Europe and the Caucasus, reintroduced after being extinct in the wild.

Quote

Seawolf or Sea-wolf may refer to:

Contents

Fauna

Military

Music

Jack London

Native American culture is the first thing that comes up when you search for thunderbird as a bird. The other top results are a car and software. Native American culture comes up way down the line when related to Bison or Seawolf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tnt said:

What's the matter with native american imagery anyway.  Does any particular tribe have a right to that imagery?  If Florida State, etc. can still use logos based on getting permission from the tribe, then who owns the rights to what imagery?  Who owns the right to a totem pole, a bison, bird feathers etc.   I am sure there are Native American schools that are using imagery that is tied with American symbols.  Should we be offended by that and call for it to stop.  No, because it is all just plain ludicrous.

Why don't you take your argument to the NCAA? That debate is over. Their Native American policy states that schools who do not have permission from the local tribe, permission that was needed by 2006, can't use Native American nicknames or imagery. The Settlement Agreement with UND says that UND will not use Native American imagery. It doesn't matter whether you think it's ludicrous or not. The NCAA rule is in place. They have the right to make their own rules, the courts have said so. Everyone knows it. UND isn't going to fight the rule any more. You can choose to be offended or you can choose to not be offended. But this argument is a non-starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tnt said:

Who owns the right to a totem pole, a bison, bird feathers ... 

A five-letter French-derived word? 

If the NCAA were a public entity you'd have a First Amendment case. It's not, and the case is over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Native American culture is the first thing that comes up when you search for thunderbird as a bird. The other top results are a car and software. Native American culture comes up way down the line when related to Bison or Seawolf.

The American Bison, commonly called the Buffalo, is North America’s largest land mammal, the majestic symbol of the Great Plains, and very, very gay. American Bison males mount other males more often than they mount females, especially when young. Even when females are available, many male Bison choose other males as sexual companions. In the end, females only mate with bulls once a year, but males may mount other males several times a day during rutting season. More than a quarter of the males do not have sex with a female during rutting season, and 15 percent of females a year do not breed.

The Lakota people called these animals pte winke, or like a woman, a term they used for men who where the same way, thus tying the animal behavior to similar human behavior.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tnt said:

What's the matter with native american imagery anyway.  Does any particular tribe have a right to that imagery?  If Florida State, etc. can still use logos based on getting permission from the tribe, then who owns the rights to what imagery?  Who owns the right to a totem pole, a bison, bird feathers etc.   I am sure there are Native American schools that are using imagery that is tied with American symbols.  Should we be offended by that and call for it to stop.  No, because it is all just plain ludicrous.

If the NCAA can tell W&M to get rid of the "tribe feathers" then they can tell us to get rid of any NA imagery on the new logo. They (NCAA) are a-holes that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, petey23 said:

The American Bison, commonly called the Buffalo, is North America’s largest land mammal, the majestic symbol of the Great Plains, and very, very gay. American Bison males mount other males more often than they mount females, especially when young. Even when females are available, many male Bison choose other males as sexual companions. In the end, females only mate with bulls once a year, but males may mount other males several times a day during rutting season. More than a quarter of the males do not have sex with a female during rutting season, and 15 percent of females a year do not breed.

The Lakota people called these animals pte winke, or like a woman, a term they used for men who where the same way, thus tying the animal behavior to similar human behavior.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

 

 

while reading your post I was thinking of this very link before I scrolled down and saw you had already included it.  LOL

Oh and, my father's gay.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Daryl,  82siouxguy, and their other brother Daryle are reliving this mind numbing "they won't let you use it" BS AGAIN!! We can all read your sh*t in 75 other posts you did for the last 3 years! Don't post your "I know everything" stuff....again, please! 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

I see Daryl,  82siouxguy, and their other brother Daryle are reliving this mind numbing "they won't let you use it" BS AGAIN!! We can all read your sh*t in 75 other posts you did for the last 3 years! Don't post your "I know everything" stuff....again, please! 

 

I think I'll post whatever I want. There are plenty of people that can't seem to read or understand the simple language written in the NCAA Native American policy or the Settlement Agreement that UND signed with the NCAA. It basically says, "No Native American nicknames or imagery". If it looks like it's Native American, the NCAA isn't going to like it. Whether you like it or not, those things apply to UND, and UND administration will pay very close attention to those policies. I can't help it if you are not able to comprehend those simple truths. I know that we can always count on you to come and insult people that you disagree with. Or here's an idea for you, don't read my posts if you don't like them.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

I think I'll post whatever I want. There are plenty of people that can't seem to read or understand the simple language written in the NCAA Native American policy or the Settlement Agreement that UND signed with the NCAA. It basically says, "No Native American nicknames or imagery". If it looks like it's Native American, the NCAA isn't going to like it. Whether you like it or not, those things apply to UND, and UND administration will pay very close attention to those policies. I can't help it if you are not able to comprehend those simple truths. I know that we can always count on you to come and insult people that you disagree with. Or here's an idea for you, don't read my posts if you don't like them.

Lol, not comprehend?  I have read your dribble a million times on here about it! I could be an attorney on the rules/laws about it!

Obviously you can't comprehend what I wrote? 

You have wrote it so many times that EVERYONE knows it! Thats my point, peace....

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

I see Daryl,  82siouxguy, and their other brother Daryle are reliving this mind numbing "they won't let you use it" BS AGAIN!! We can all read your sh*t in 75 other posts you did for the last 3 years! Don't post your "I know everything" stuff....again, please! 

 

So Illinois and W&M should have told the NCAA to F off and keep their Indian imagery. Call them and tell them that then get back to us of what they said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 24, 2016 at 1:15 PM, GLABS said:

Check out Fighting Hawks logo and uniforms concepts from sports brand designers Gridiron Labs that deliver a true transition brand for backers of the Fighting Sioux nickname.  The full package along with logo stories can be checked out here:  bit.ly/1R1qTuP 

Cb_8QX1UkAAuknU.jpg

Cb_8QUhUEAEHdu6.jpg

Spectacular work.  If I could find 10 folks willing to pony up for some hockey jerseys, I'd flip that bird (pun intended) around to face left, head down to my local hockey shop and order up a set first thing tomorrow morning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Spectacular work.  If I could find 10 folks willing to pony up for some hockey jerseys, I'd flip that bird (pun intended) around to face left, head down to my local hockey shop and order up a set first thing tomorrow morning!

Now that's an idea! If you do something like that can NCHC patches be put on it, or is that a legal problem? Where would you put the name?

Man I love that logo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2016 at 2:02 PM, 82SiouxGuy said:

There are no ethical problems if you do the work, if it is original, and if you don't make any false claims. In this case they should be fine because they have stated that they did this on their own and that it was never submitted to UND. If they claimed that they did it for UND, then it would be a problem. A portfolio is used to show your skills and abilities. I've seen people submit writing samples that were never submitted to anyone. They are fine as long as they don't make false claims about being printed somewhere. The people just use them to show what they are capable of doing.

Is it possible to try to write without using double negatives?  Or not.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, darell1976 said:

So Illinois and W&M should have told the NCAA to F off and keep their Indian imagery. Call them and tell them that then get back to us of what they said. 

They kept their names and removed what could be thought of as "native imagery". UND has changed their name and we have idiots on here saying that even though Hawks have feathers that we can't have feathers in our logo?

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, petey23 said:

They kept their names and removed what could be thought of as "native imagery". UND has changed their name and we have idiots on here saying that even though Hawks have feathers that we can't have feathers in our logo?

Fighting Hawks are people too!  We are not your mascot!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

Now that's an idea! If you do something like that can NCHC patches be put on it, or is that a legal problem? Where would you put the name?

You can buy NCHC patches at the Sioux Shop, can't you?  If you don't put "Fighting Hawks" on there, I don't see a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, petey23 said:

They kept their names and removed what could be thought of as "native imagery". UND has changed their name and we have idiots on here saying that even though Hawks have feathers that we can't have feathers in our logo?

:lol::lol::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sprig said:

Would like to see that in color.  Can't find it on his Facebook page.  Too bad Brien want given a shot at this

EDIT: Article mentions final design was facing to the right. I didn't see it on his facebook either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cratter said:

EDIT: Article mentions final design was facing to the right. I didn't see it on his facebook either. 

Never been a fan of caricature logos that face to the right.  Vikings, Seahawks, etc.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't look like Native American imagery, does have feathers, not a problem.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdRSllKPukzpodxBj9KZ1

St. Louis Cardinals (1998 - Pres)

File:Atlanta Hawks.svg

2604.gif

 

picture13623505141707.jpg

Does resemble Native American imagery and could be a problem. Logos like these would not be chosen by UND.

blackhawks.png

ad589e32002813.567b6e925abde.jpg

d8ce4232002813.567b6e925bf42.jpg

Is that simple enough for people? It isn't whether the image has feathers or not, it is whether the feathers look like a Native American headdress or other Native imagery, or whether they look like regular bird feathers.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×