SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (8-6) vs PSU (5-9)

SWSiouxMN

32 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Needed a record breaking game by one player who had almost half the points to beat a bad team at home by three.

Call me not impressed.

Their record is deceiving. They have a couple of difference maker players, Forte being one, who they just gained the services of recently. They are a solid team right now, not so much earlier. 

Just now, Cratter said:

OK, I concede. No matter what. Any college athletic team should never be called "not very good."

I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day.  UND had no business winning this game shooting as poorly as they did.  

Their best player stepped up and carried them when he had to. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, homer said:

I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day.  UND had no business winning this game shooting as poorly as they did.  

Their best player stepped up and carried them when he had to. 

Correct. Win > any type of loss.

If UND had no business winning this game shooting as poorly as they did, one could also say they UND had no business shooting as poorly as they did today.

Just now, Cratter said:

Correct. Win > any type of loss.

If UND had no business winning this game shooting as poorly as they did, one could also say they UND had no business shooting as poorly as they did today.

Weird how every shot doesn't go in.  

10 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Without Forte's big game inside for PSU, We win running away. We could do this all day. Ifs and buts....

Uh, I don't think so.  I get ya but 24 pts (nice no doubt) is a hell of a lot less than 38 pts (wow), 14 pt diff and we only won by just a few pts. Hookers 38 pts was more than DOUBLE his avg points per game production while Forte has scored 20+ pts a dozen times this season.  So, tonight while certainly a nice game for Forte was not necessarily "big" (it was damn near average) while for Hooker it was no doubt a HUGE game (hell, highest scoring output for a player in UND div 1 era).  I doubt you can say that for Forte's 24 pts (a bit above avg).  So no, can't do it all day...   

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Uh, I don't think so.  I get ya but 24 pts (nice no doubt) is a hell of a lot less than 38 pts (wow), 14 pt diff and we only won by just a few pts. Hookers 38 pts was more than DOUBLE his avg points per game production while Forte has scored 20+ pts a dozen times this season.  So, tonight while certainly a nice game for Forte was not necessarily "big" (it was damn near average) while for Hooker it was no doubt a HUGE game (hell, highest scoring output for a player in UND div 1 era).  I doubt you can say that for Forte's 24 pts (a bit above avg).  So no, can't do it all day...   

Last time I checked Hooker is part of the team.  Sometimes one or two people step up.  When Hooker has had rare off nights in the past and we won, McBuckets 2.0, or Baldwin, or Crandall,etc. stepped up and carried the bulk of the load. Other times they won as a balanced team, which his optimal, but at the end of the day a win is a win. Yeah, I get it, it was a career night for Q but like I said, he's part of our TEAM and we might want to enjoy it while it lasts instead of always downgrading wins as flukes because of certain aspects of individual games. When Huff went bonkers against Bucky a couple years ago only to be countered by an insanely more bonkers effort by Frank the Tank, I lamented how we would have won that game IF Kamenski would not have been such a factor. But after I cooled off, I realized the "if and but" nature of my thought processes. We have to beat the TEAM that opposes us, to include every individual unit of said TEAM and vice versa. When Bolomboy and Senglin go off on us again this year and knock us out of the BSC tourney, Weber fans won't be griping about the quality of the win based on the team effort as a whole.  Weber just expects Bolomboy to be Bolomboy and accepts that. We won't downgrade that win either; we'll just lament how awesome it would be to have such an impact player. Well, I say we do have such a player and it is Q. Let's start appreciating his game changing talents. 

Sometimes we just need to enjoy the darn wins in a conference where parity is much more than it was even just a few weeks ago.

• Upvote 2

Why cant some of you just be happy with a win.  Complain if we win and complain if we lose.  This team just beat a very hot Eastern Washington team so they are dangerous against anybody.  Honestly I believe the league is very down this year in quality teams and on any given night this year anybody can beat anybody.  The conference tournament will show this as one upset after another will occur.

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, sioux2013 said:

Why cant some of you just be happy with a win.  Complain if we win and complain if we lose.  This team just beat a very hot Eastern Washington team so they are dangerous against anybody.  Honestly I believe the league is very down this year in quality teams and on any given night this year anybody can beat anybody.  The conference tournament will show this as one upset after another will occur.

Yes, I will take the win. I watched most of the game last night and even though it was a bit sloppy it was very entertaining. Let's go beat Sac and proceed from there.

1 hour ago, sioux2013 said:

I think the league is getting better as the year has gone along.  Teams near the middle are getting back key players (see Portland St./Sac St./Idaho) and a team like EWU learned how to play without Harvey from last season and a team like UND had to gain experience.  The two usual teams were up top all season in Weber and Montana.  The upsets in the tournament won't be because the league is down, it will be because the middle teams have just gotten better and lost games early.  

• Upvote 1

Q was an absolute beast last night, both passing and shooting. His bounce pass that threaded the needle and went over half the court was an absolute thing of beauty. The rest of the team was off last night and he carried them and that's why he's in POY talk. I can only think of one shot he forced, an early heat check fade-away three, other than that it was all within the offense. Can't believe people are knocking him or the team, he stepped up when he needed to, that's what your best players are supposed to do. When they are on, just keep feeding them.

1-11 from 3 pointers outside of Q, not good. Baldwin and McDermott were way off in the first half and their confidence was gone in the second.

Officiating was brutal across the board. Players didn't know what to expect. Refs were absolutely clueless. I'd guess close to a dozen uncalled travels both ways. The play where UND sent in a sub, the horn buzzed and then the refs decided to hand the ball to PSU to inbound while everyone stopped to look and see what the horn was about was particularly ridiculous. Didn't have a great view of it but the foul on Q with 10 seconds to go was questionable particularly with Drick trying to call a timeout at the exact same time.

Forte is an all-around very solid player for PSU. Not sure why Parson's didn't play much the middle part of the season for them but he was good as well.

Overall, UND won a game where they didn't play well outside of one guy. They stayed pretty tough on defense despite the mess on the other end. Nice to see them win one like that instead of letting it slip away.

Also want to point out that this is the second game in a row they've been down by more than 5 points at some point and come back to win....

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Last time I checked Hooker is part of the team.  Sometimes one or two people step up.  When Hooker has had rare off nights in the past and we won, McBuckets 2.0, or Baldwin, or Crandall,etc. stepped up and carried the bulk of the load. Other times they won as a balanced team, which his optimal, but at the end of the day a win is a win. Yeah, I get it, it was a career night for Q but like I said, he's part of our TEAM and we might want to enjoy it while it lasts instead of always downgrading wins as flukes because of certain aspects of individual games. When Huff went bonkers against Bucky a couple years ago only to be countered by an insanely more bonkers effort by Frank the Tank, I lamented how we would have won that game IF Kamenski would not have been such a factor. But after I cooled off, I realized the "if and but" nature of my thought processes. We have to beat the TEAM that opposes us, to include every individual unit of said TEAM and vice versa. When Bolomboy and Senglin go off on us again this year and knock us out of the BSC tourney, Weber fans won't be griping about the quality of the win based on the team effort as a whole.  Weber just expects Bolomboy to be Bolomboy and accepts that. We won't downgrade that win either; we'll just lament how awesome it would be to have such an impact player. Well, I say we do have such a player and it is Q. Let's start appreciating his game changing talents. 

Sometimes we just need to enjoy the darn wins in a conference where parity is much more than it was even just a few weeks ago.

The TEAM needs to play better. Relying on only Hooker will result in nothing but losses during the conference tournament on a neutral court. TEAM defense, TEAM passing (assist:turnover ratio), TEAM free-throw shooting, TEAM rebounding, etc. all trump individual statistics in any game.

With that said, glad UND got the win and congratulations to Hooker on reaching 1000 points and playing superbly against PSU. He's a tremendous player and an even better person.

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

The TEAM needs to play better. Relying on only Hooker will result in nothing but losses during the conference tournament on a neutral court. TEAM defense, TEAM passing (assist:turnover ratio), TEAM free-throw shooting, TEAM rebounding, etc. all trump individual statistics in any game.

With that said, glad UND got the win and congratulations to Hooker on reaching 1000 points and playing superbly against PSU. He's a tremendous player and an even better person.

I wholeheartedly agree. 

18 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Fair enough.  Yah, do need to enjoy any and all wins as the parity in BSC is damn close (redundant I know).

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:42 PM, petey23 said:

Holy Crap. Shanks is an absolute trainwreck out there.

NDSU has (had) Carson Wentz and we have (still) Carson Shanks, no fair.  Seriously, watching him is like passing by a car crash, you don't want to look but ya just gotta.  It's an adventure out there on the court.  And yet one night I just know (hope) the guy will score 24 points--it's coming. 

7 hours ago, GDPritch said:

NDSU has (had) Carson Wentz and we have (still) Carson Shanks, no fair.  Seriously, watching him is like passing by a car crash, you don't want to look but ya just gotta.  It's an adventure out there on the court.  And yet one night I just know (hope) the guy will score 24 points--it's coming. 

He definitely needs his confidence back on the offensive end and when it comes, I agree that he'll have a huge game. Despite his struggles, he's still shooting over 50% from the field. On the other end, it seems like there is some agreement between him and refs that he'll get called for two fouls in the first few minutes of a game and at least one of them will be questionable. I thought he played really solid, disciplined defense the second half of the PSU game, staying on his feet and not picking up an unnecessary foul and it was something that was needed because Drick was also in foul trouble and Avants turned his ankle. 

I still can't believe how well Avants has adjusted to the college game, especially as an undersized inside player. The look on the opposing, taller post players faces when he forces them to pass out to the perimeter or blocks their shots or when he schools the same players for a bucket underneath is almost worth the price of admission.

• Upvote 1