SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (7-5) @ Idaho (7-5)

SWSiouxMN

I am speechless.  Why do we have the only player on the court that we didn't want to have shoot be the one to take that shot.  Give the ball to anyone else.  Even in pressure situations players need to think.  How about making 1 more free throw during the game.  We did not deserve to win that game.  They tried to give it to us and we refused to take it.  Did we have a time out left.  I hope we didn't.

Did Avants get hurt or something? How come he didn't get out there in the 2nd half.

1 minute ago, Dagger said:

I am speechless.  Why do we have the only player on the court that we didn't want to have shoot be the one to take that shot.  Give the ball to anyone else.  Even in pressure situations players need to think.  How about making 1 more free throw during the game.  We did not deserve to win that game.  They tried to give it to us and we refused to take it.  Did we have a time out left.  I hope we didn't.

We had 2. I would have called one as soon as we got the rebound.

Unbelievable game in so many ways:

- Outrebounded 40-23

- Shoot 61% from the FT line

- Q had a terrible game

BUT - we almost won!

I have a lot of questions including why was Collins in there, why no time out, why did Avants only play 3:22 in the 2nd half (maybe he was injured but he didn't look like it on the bench)? 

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Did Avants get hurt or something? How come he didn't get out there in the 2nd half.

We had 2. I would have called one as soon as we got the rebound.

I believe he got hurt.

YES should have taken timeout.  Coach can't call it, but had time during free throw to tell everyone take a timeout after rebound.  But I suppose I can't blame it on Jones yet can I?

• Upvote 1

I would assume Avants was hurt or something otherwise it would seem very strange that he  wasn't playing.   Who was in the game at the end.  I can think of a few people I would rather have shooting.  Hooker, Crandall,  McDermott  would be the obvious ones.    Had anyone fouled out?    Considering the way we played during the game it  sure seemed like  a possession that needed a timeout called  so we had some idea what to do. Ouch.

11 minutes ago, niouxsiouxfan said:

I believe he got hurt.

YES should have taken timeout.  Coach can't call it, but had time during free throw to tell everyone take a timeout after rebound.  But I suppose I can't blame it on Jones yet can I?

or one could have been called in-between free throws. 

It was a frustrating game, after a frustrating weekend after a huge win the week before.  UND needed this one tonight and didn't get it.  Bad rebounding, poor free throw shooting, bad nights by Geno and Hooker.  I wish we had Seales tonight, he would have been useful in attacking the zone.

Bad weekend all around.

8 hours ago, Kab said:

Are the big sky refs Jr. High?

they travel toward the end of the game, make the basket and free throw

this is .b.s. When you don't call this

The one where the guy caught the ball at the three point line and didn't dribble into his layup?   I wasn't sure how that wasn't called either. 

10 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

or one could have been called in-between free throws

It was a frustrating game, after a frustrating weekend after a huge win the week before.  UND needed this one tonight and didn't get it.  Bad rebounding, poor free throw shooting, bad nights by Geno and Hooker.  I wish we had Seales tonight, he would have been useful in attacking the zone.

Bad weekend all around.

I was yelling at my computer for him to call a freaking time out between free throws.... set up a play so they can be off to the races off the free throw, made or missed.

Jones needs to coach barefoot the rest of the season.

Geno, Hooker playing poorly, Drick with a couple bad plays at the end,  Avants out for the second half, and an all around poor effort.   But hey to lose on the last possession on the road to a decent team isn't the end of the world. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UND Fan said:

Unbelievable game in so many ways:

- Outrebounded 40-23

- Shoot 61% from the FT line

- Q had a terrible game

BUT - we almost won!

I have a lot of questions including why was Collins in there, why no time out, why did Avants only play 3:22 in the 2nd half (maybe he was injured but he didn't look like it on the bench)? 

But we almost won!  Good job! Keep it up!  Ed is crunching the numbers and flushing the tilapia with the results.  Thankfully he has an out.  You should hire the girl from Newtown cuz the pain is unavoidable.

3 hours ago, homer said:

The one where the guy caught the ball at the three point line and didn't dribble into his layup?   I wasn't sure how that wasn't called either. 

Yah, I yelled at the screen on that one.  Would of thought either Larry, Curly or Moe (one of 'em!) would of caught that. 

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I was yelling at my computer for him to call a freaking time out between free throws.... set up a play so they can be off to the races off the free throw, made or missed.

Jones needs to coach barefoot the rest of the season.

Geno, Hooker playing poorly, Drick with a couple bad plays at the end,  Avants out for the second half, and an all around poor effort.   But hey to lose on the last possession on the road to a decent team isn't the end of the world. 

Questionable strategy from Jones. What else is new?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Why?  The instances are almost amazingly very few and far between during Jones' tenure where something he's drawn up under pressure during a timeout has yielded a positive result.  Better to just let the players run with it in that situation IMO.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Why?  The instances are almost amazingly very few and far between during Jones' tenure where something he's drawn up under pressure during a timeout has yielded a positive result.  Better to just let the players run with it in that situation IMO.

Agreed that he has not had much success drawing up a play at end of games. But just take TO to tell players get it into Geno's or Q's hands on the break (or from OB) and go from there. Usually want PG to have ball and make decision. 

I was yelling at screen when Drick was coming up floor, then louder when he passed it to Collins, then I was swearing when my feed cut out! Have I mentioned I hate eversport? 

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

did I mention who would draw up the play?  no, I did not.  :)

during the timeout, let the 5 on the floor figure out who was going to run what lanes, and I would bet it sure as heck wouldn't have been the guy who was stone cold from sitting on the bench all night running out front opposite the ball.