SiouxSports.com Forum

PairWise Rankings

jimdahl

4 minutes ago, jimdahl said:

So many years I've had to start a thread about the PWR in January to let people know it's still possible for UND to climb out of its hole and get an at-large bid. How different this year is!

What prompted me to finally start one is that this weekend brings the first real chance of Quinnipiac falling out of #1, and UND controls whether it is #3 UND or #2 SCSU that overtakes QU if the Bobcats stumble.

Here's a more detailed post I wrote:

http://collegehockeyranked.com/2016/02/12/north-dakota-eyeing-taking-1-from-quinnipiac-but-dont-count-out-st-cloud/

Inching towards #1...How is this even possible Jim....#butwisconsin.....#butbemidji...#butmaine....#butcc :D #hugepairwisekillers

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, siouxforcefans said:

For all the confusion PWR creates (promotes?), after the football selection show this fall, it's now my favorite system!  At least when the season is winding down, you can start to predict a few things -

Yeah, there do seem to be oddities in the Pairwise at times that seem baffling, but most of the time they seem to wash out by tournament time. By the last weekend before the regionals teams pretty much know whether they are in or out, or what they need to do to get in.  

15 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, there do seem to be oddities in the Pairwise at times that seem baffling, but most of the time they seem to wash out by tournament time. By the last weekend before the regionals teams pretty much know whether they are in or out, or what they need to do to get in.  

I honestly can't think of a big PWR "controversy" other than Wisco getting in over Mankato that year they were under .500 and we beat them at home in the regional final in OT. Even then, they made a rule the next season saying an at-large had to be over .500. Seems like a solid way to select a tournament, for college hockey.

11 minutes ago, jimdahl said:

And some non-UND info, looking at #10 Yale through #23 Minnesota-Duluth, all fighting for spots on the bubble.

http://collegehockeyranked.com/2016/02/18/with-two-weeks-until-conference-tournaments-begin-teams-on-the-bubble-need-to-get-hot/

Great stuff as always Jim!

I think if UofM goes about 2-4 in their last 6 they'll be in a great spot.

On 2/19/2016 at 2:37 PM, Goon said:

With their coach whining about how it's unfair that the Little 6 has to play against all of those mean older teams.

At least he was honest a few weeks ago and said they deserved to be in the spot they were in for performing so badly in non-conference play :D

8 minutes ago, GFG said:

Can we blame Terry Pegula, too?

Maybe a little...he was trying to give his University an entry into D1 hockey so I have to give him kudos for that.  The domino's that fell after Penn State joined probably could have been predicted somewhat but not to the extent that we have seen to date. (creation of PIG 10 led to creation of NCHC and dissolution of CCHA; WCHA with many new teams as well) 

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Maybe a little...he was trying to give his University an entry into D1 hockey so I have to give him kudos for that.  The domino's that fell after Penn State joined probably could have been predicted somewhat but not to the extent that we have seen to date. (creation of PIG 10 led to creation of NCHC and dissolution of CCHA; WCHA with many new teams as well) 

Barry Alvarez it is! 

• Upvote 1

It look like Jim is starting to fill out his Predicted 16:

Who’s in?

The top 5 are starting to look like locks for the NCAA tournament. It would take catastrophic results, really bad luck, and a lot of conference tournaments being won by low PWR teams for any of #1 Quinnipiac, #2 St Cloud St, #3 Boston College, #4 North Dakota, or #5 Providence to miss out on an at-large bid.