SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (7-4) @ EWU (7-4)

SWSiouxMN

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

UND was down 10 to Bradley in the second half and came back to win. I think this team is still learning how to react to different situations and I can say that I haven't seen any sort of "quit" from them even when they go down. Can't say I agree with your assessment.

The Bradley team that is 4-22 right now?

Not much to brag about, I'd say. 

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The Bradley team that is 4-22 right now?

Not much to brag about, I'd say. 

But to say if we are down 5 on the road its over against a team that is killing it at home (9-0) is over doing it. Most teams would have trouble being down at EWU, and we were one of them. I predicted at most 2 losses (EWU, UM) for the rest of the regular season. The next games we play except Montana should be very winnable, especially all our home games. If we play up to par we should be just fine heading to the trip to Reno. No time to panic unless we start losing to bottom feeding teams like Sac State or Portland State.

34 minutes ago, Cratter said:

There are exceptions when you are playing one of the worse teams in college basketball and force OT. 

Here are UND's road losses this year:
Wisconsin - Down by 13 at half, first game of the year
FGCU - Decided to quit scoring the last 10 minutes, 3rd game of the year
Kansas State - Down 3 at half, KSU pulled away at the beginning of the 2nd half
Weber - Down by 12 at half, 6 was the smallest lead in the 2nd half
UNC - Largest lead was 4

So for your comment/observations applies to a total of 4 games excluding last night (against a team that is lights out at home), one of which was against a B1G team, another against Big12 team, and third being a team UND had never previously beat until a last week. Guess I just don't see what you're seeing unless it is that UND getting behind better teams makes its harder to win, but that seems like common sense for any team, not UND specific. Winning on the road is tough to do for most teams. Winning on the road is even harder to do when you get down by a few scores.

UND could have let last night really snowball out of control and it didn't, this team hopefully learning how to win close games whether it be on the road or at home and I haven't seen anything that looks like lack of effort, regardless of the score (outside of maybe UNI).

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Guess I just don't see what you're seeing unless it is that UND getting behind better teams makes its harder to win, but that seems like common sense for any team, not UND specific. Winning on the road is tough to do for most teams. Winning on the road is even harder to do when you get down by a few scores.

You nailed it.

Its hard for a lot of teams to come back and win a road game being down. 

This team has had little success the last few years (although a couple decent seasons - Big Sky Championship game), and it seems even littler success on the road (doing pretty good this year).  So when I see them down at (say haltime or so) I know its a uphill battle and UND will more than likely not win that game as history points out. 

I wasn't trying to imply they were going to give up. 

(vs my informal observations of conference games in hockey and football on the road where I have more faith in their ability to have a come back from behind.)

22 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

But to say if we are down 5 on the road its over against a team that is killing it at home (9-0) is over doing it. Most teams would have trouble being down at EWU, and we were one of them. I predicted at most 2 losses (EWU, UM) for the rest of the regular season. The next games we play except Montana should be very winnable, especially all our home games. If we play up to par we should be just fine heading to the trip to Reno. No time to panic unless we start losing to bottom feeding teams like Sac State or Portland State.

Whether this team is on the road or on a neutral court, I have concerns. Beating Weber State at home showed UND can win in a supportive environment, but they have yet to establish huge wins on the road, such as win(s) versus NDSU, Weber State, EWU, or Montana. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Whether this team is on the road or on a neutral court, I have concerns. Beating Weber State at home showed UND can win in a supportive environment, but they have yet to establish huge wins on the road, such as win(s) versus NDSU, Weber State, EWU, or Montana. 

How many tries just to beat Weber? 7/8? 

And now you want to beat them on the road! :0

NDSU also now leading....first in the "new series" to win on the road. How much did they come back from to win?

edit: I found it:

NDSU trailing by 14 points with 15 minutes to go won the game vs UND this year.

Although we didn't play great at times last night, I agree with others that we did a good job of not letting the game get away from us and end up with a 25-30 point loss. 

I think this game (as well as others) proved that we really need another couple bigs (with some meat on them) to go up against the better conference teams.  We need them for their strength and depth.  Although I think Walter may end up being a good asset for us, I don't think he will assist us in this area.  He is listed as a PF but would need to put on a lot of weight to be effective underneath.  He is having a good senior season but plays more of a 3 than a 4 or 5.  He takes tons of 3s (and makes a bunch of them).

19 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Jones probably has the worst record of any coach on the road. I remember one year UND only had 1 or 2 road wins all year. Now we are 4-6 on the road, not great but not too terrible compared to everyone else in the conference, in fact the only team in the BSC with a winning record on the road is Idaho (7-5).  Montana is 6-7, Weber State is 4-5, EWU is 4-9, and Idaho State is 3-8 but are all ahead of us in the conference standings. Yes a signature win on the road would be great whether its upsetting a ranked team (like NDSU does), or a good conference team like a Montana or EWU.  If we can get to Reno on a hot streak, I think good things could happen.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

It was really bad. I know some people have speculated that he starts to try to win the tip, but he can't even do that. I think he is just too slow. Then he had 2 fouls about 2 minutes into the game and went to the bench. Came back on the court a little later for about a minute and took another foul. You can see just how much the kid is struggling by the look on his face.

I feel bad for him because he looks so frustrated out there, but I think he is a kid who probably had a lot of success because of his height, and now can't keep up with the speed of the game.

that sucks, the Weber game was disastrous too.    He doesn't have the strength yet to be effective.   It's not a problem that more experience/playing time is going to solve.   He picks up what appear to be cheap fouls because he doesn't have body control which results in his arms flailing around like one of those giant advertising inflatables.  

All that said, he can still play a role on this team in certain situations.   I think he gets too amped up and the result is early fouls.  Let him sit and watch the flow of the game for awhile and perhaps calm down a bit, and then come in for Avants.

2 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

that sucks, the Weber game was disastrous too.    He doesn't have the strength yet to be effective.   It's not a problem that more experience/playing time is going to solve.   He picks up what appear to be cheap fouls because he doesn't have body control which results in his arms flailing around like one of those giant advertising inflatables.  

All that said, he can still play a role on this team in certain situations.   I think he gets too amped up and the result is early fouls.  Let him sit and watch the flow of the game for awhile and perhaps calm down a bit, and then come in for Avants.

I think a big part of his frustration is that he tries to do things offensively that he just isn't capable of doing (yet, at least) at this level.  He gets the ball down low and feels he needs to shoot.  Inevitably, gets his shot blocked, turns the ball over or picks up a offensive foul.  If he would focus on getting the ball out to an open shooter rather than forcing a shot, he would:  1) be a better asset to the team and 2)  he might find himself getting better looks for shots by keeping the ball moving and his continuing to move.  We have guys who will find him if he shakes his man.  Both would help his confidence and, importantly, help the team.

7 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I think a big part of his frustration is that he tries to do things offensively that he just isn't capable of doing (yet, at least) at this level.  He gets the ball down low and feels he needs to shoot.  Inevitably, gets his shot blocked, turns the ball over or picks up a offensive foul.  If he would focus on getting the ball out to an open shooter rather than forcing a shot, he would:  1) be a better asset to the team and 2)  he might find himself getting better looks for shots by keeping the ball moving and his continuing to move.  We have guys who will find him if he shakes his man.  Both would help his confidence and, importantly, help the team.

Yes, excellent point.  The offense comes to a standstill when he gets it down low.   He has such an advantage being so tall to be able to throw it back out over the sagging perimeter defenders if he would just keep the ball up and look around.