SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (6-4) vs Weber (8-1)

SWSiouxMN

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

Wayne goes way back so I took it has a reference to the old hey day of UND Div. II basketball at old Hyslop when that place was rocking and people were hanging from rafters.  For the women, I recall the NCAA Div. II playoff games of the late1990s as being one of those times. Or maybe the Phil Jackson and Dave Vonesh eras, respectively.  Wayne's no spring chicken! :lol:  Sorry Wayno! ;) 

Another time was under Gunther.  I remember a playoff game with the Mocs of Chatty coming to Hyslop.  It was wild and filled to the rafters.

11 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Another time was under Gunther.  I remember a playoff game with the Mocs of Chatty coming to Hyslop.  It was wild and filled to the rafters.

It would amaze some of our younger fans that UND basketball was once relevant, and probably more so that our hockey team went through some very lean years. I remember sitting in the old Ralph when it was maybe half full at best for a conference tilt, the place seated around 6,000 if i remember correctly. I like it better now when both programs are having fun!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

It would amaze some of our younger fans that UND basketball was once relevant, and probably more so that our hockey team went through some very lean years. I remember sitting in the old Ralph when it was maybe half full at best for a conference tilt, the place seated around 6,000 if i remember correctly. I like it better now when both programs are having fun!

For sure, the 70s were great for basketball, not so much for hockey. Great time though as basketball was often scheduled before hockey on the same day so we'd go to basketball in the Hyslop, then hockey in the old Ralph (probably was called winter sports building then). Win in the Hyslop, lose in the Ralph. We always entertained ourselves at hockey sitting on the glass at the blue line and giving Medo crap when he parked there. Fun times, would like to do it over again now. Miss the old ralph not being there when I cross the tracks on Columbia Road, but the HPC is a worthy replacement.

Would guess that wild atmosphere at the Weber game will be heard around campus, and hope that brings in a bunch more students for next week's game vs. Northern Colorado. They'll at least have to come Saturday to get their priority numbers for the hockey game that night.

Also hope to see the BB teams in the first couple rows of the student section in the Alerus next fall. And the hockey team as well, at least until practice starts the end of the month. Should be able to have the early Sep captains' practice outside the time for the football game.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, niouxsiouxfan said:QUOTE:   The days when basketball was on par—or at least in the same zip code—with UND men's hockey may not ever return to Grand Forks.

Is Wayne Nelson really this dumb?  This statement is on par with some of the Sid and Reusse classics.

Not sure what part is dumb.  UND basketball was once more popular/successful than hockey, but probably will not be again. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Cratter said:

A successful basketball season will bring more national exposure to UND than a successful hockey season.

I guess the Herald also wanted to get in on helping divide the fan base...

In the Herald's defense, Wayne did specify "in Grand Forks". On a regional and national scale, the popularity isn't even close to a contest nor would the exposure could be brought to UND from what the basketball team could do. No different than down at FargoU. Their NCAA basketball win was worth way more in exposure than their 5 championships combined but it is obvious which sport is more popular in Fargo.

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

In the Herald's defense, Wayne did specify "in Grand Forks". On a regional and national scale, the popularity isn't even close to a contest nor would the exposure could be brought to UND from what the basketball team could do. No different than down at FargoU. Their NCAA basketball win was worth way more in exposure than their 5 championships combined but it is obvious which sport is more popular in Fargo.

I read it as "Grand Forks" because that's where UND is located.

The days when basketball was on par—or at least in the same zip code—with UND men's hockey may not ever return to Grand Forks.

"the days when UND basketball is even comparable to UND mens hockey will probably never be seen in Grand Forks."

Such a dumb comment when the whole article was trying to praise the basketball team. 

4 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I was there.  Man that was that place packed.  Chattanooga played a heck of a game and got a standing ovation upon defeating the Sioux.

A game I remember was the 1990 Regional Finals vs. Metro State.  The Slop was rocking.  IIRC, Metro jumped out to an early lead on like 4-5 quick buckets and one was a backdoor alley oop dunk.  The crowd was looking at each other like "oh sh*t".  But, then UND got in their groove and won the game to go to the Elite Eight.

34 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

I was there.  Man that was that place packed.  Chattanooga played a heck of a game and got a standing ovation upon defeating the Sioux.

I remember they interview the coach for the Moc's and he said at TO's he had to have his team way out on the floor because the players couldn't hear him speak.  Behind his bench was loud.  I was way up high and fun game to watch. 

25 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

A game I remember was the 1990 Regional Finals vs. Metro State.  The Slop was rocking.  IIRC, Metro jumped out to an early lead on like 4-5 quick buckets and one was a backdoor alley oop dunk.  The crowd was looking at each other like "oh sh*t".  But, then UND got in their groove and won the game to go to the Elite Eight.

Wow, blast from the past.  Yah, I recall that game at Hyslop like I recall the 2001 football NCAA semi-final home game vs Cal-Davis.  The place was rocking.  Believe me, I don't believe it was uncommon at all in the 70s and late 80s/early 90s to get 3.5k to 5k+ attendance at Hyslop for some games. 

1 hour ago, VMeister said:

Not sure what part is dumb.  UND basketball was once more popular/successful than hockey, but probably will not be again. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

I read it as "Grand Forks" because that's where UND is located.

The days when basketball was on par—or at least in the same zip code—with UND men's hockey may not ever return to Grand Forks.

"the days when UND basketball is even comparable to UND mens hockey will probably never be seen in Grand Forks."

Such a dumb comment when the whole article was trying to praise the basketball team. 

VMeister:  It was a comment that wasn't needed.  His piece would have been better without it.  When the team goes to the NCAA Tournament, which I presume in the next few years they will, it will bring more pub to UND than hockey.  That writing only lends to the "hockey college" belief

In GF, will hockey ever be supplanted? Maybe, but tough to do. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Cratter said:

A successful basketball season will bring more national exposure to UND than a successful hockey season.

It's fact. I've commented on this several times only for it to be refuted with direct, ignorant opposition or mere reference to "equality" amongst all programs. Hockey is currently "maxed out"; it can't get any bigger. UND football and basketball has dug itself such a deep hole in terms of general perception that it will take time; however, when it does regain momentum in sports that large populations care about, it will have more of a positive impact on UND athletics than most on here would like to admit. Filling the Alerus Center, hosting extra games (FCS playoffs), and constantly drawing 2500+ in the Betty every game would boost UND athletics tremendously. Not to mention, coverage from ESPN and other national networks in terms of FCS playoffs and NCAA tournament basketball games. Hockey is what it is; can't grow anymore. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It's fact. I've commented on this several times only for it to be refuted with direct, ignorant opposition or mere reference to "equality" among all programs. Hockey is currently "maxed out"; it can't get any bigger. UND football and basketball has dug itself such a deep hole in terms of general perception that it will take time; however, when it does regain momentum in sports that large populations care about, it will have more of a positive impact on UND athletics than most on here would like to admit. Filling the Alerus Center, hosting extra games (FCS playoffs), and constantly drawing 2500+ in the Betty every game would boost UND athletics tremendously. Not to mention, coverage from ESPN and other national networks in terms of FCS playoffs and NCAA tournament basketball games. Hockey is what it is; can't grow anymore. 

I understand your point, but hockey can grow into bigger exposure if cawlidge hawkey grows to the west coast and south and fills in key locales in other places.  Wouldn't be surprised if college hockey sees a rapid growth spurt in the next 5-10 years.  Any growth puts more national focus on UND.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

I understand your point, but hockey can grow into bigger exposure if cawlidge hawkey grows to the west coast and south and fills in key locales in other places.  Wouldn't be surprised if college hockey sees a rapid growth spurt in the next 5-10 years.  Any growth puts more national focus on UND.

I agree with you, but just for fun, where is the OVERALL popularity still going to be? College hockey may yet grow in popularity, but the level that college football (yes, even FCS football) and college basketball are currently at is going to be near impossible for college hockey to match. College hockey is great, and UND is great at it, but that doesn't mean we should all scrap objectiveness and stop looking at the numbers. The numbers suggest UND hockey cannot get much bigger and, in contrast, that UND football and basketball can grow to be much more popular. 

My bottom-line is quite simple: there is a lot of potential and room for improvement in the areas of football and basketball at UND; therefore, those should be focus areas moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Cratter said:

Dumb part is that a successful basketball season, has zero impact on hockey or any other sport at UND. Ideally, they are all successful. Yes, Basketball would definitely garner more national attention. Though successful hockey is certainly important too, give the size of the fanbase and the revenue they generate. It is still national exposure, just not as much as you can get with basketball. 

I think we can all agree, that we just want success across the board, but especially for hockey, football and basketball.