SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-4) vs ISU (5-3)

SWSiouxMN

9 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Hooker with the first triple double in UND BASKETBALL history!  What?  Wow!

Hooker is so fun to watch.  What character he has.  This is his team and it shows.  Q would even have more assists but not every player is ready for his passes.  Amazing player.  UND is blessed.  This team should make a strong run in the tournament.  Neutral court will benefit us.

43 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Nice win...now let's get that first win over Weber St.

A win over Weber would be huge! It would really give these guys some confidence heading into the last few weeks of the season. Beat Weber and you know you have a legitimate chance to win the Big Sky. Would be great to see this young talented team go to the big dance.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

A win over Weber would be huge! It would really give these guys some confidence heading into the last few weeks of the season. Beat Weber and you know you have a legitimate chance to win the Big Sky. Would be great to see this young talented team go to the big dance.

Agreed. Beating Weber especially at home would be a big confidence booster going into the home stretch of the regular season. 

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Hooker is so fun to watch.  What character he has.  This is his team and it shows.  Q would even have more assists but not every player is ready for his passes.  Amazing player.  UND is blessed.  This team should make a strong run in the tournament.  Neutral court will benefit us.

We are lucky to have him for another season.  I often talk about how players in the past haven't improved under Jones but Hooker has gotten so much better every season.  

• Upvote 1

The last 6-7 games this team has been playing good defense and sharing the ball better than any UND team I can remember the last  10 years. Next 3 games are huge.

I think to often we look ahead at things and this team can do damage this year, but next year this team could be super special with the addition of Wheeler Baker. Baker is a all conference caliber difference maker and we return everyone minus Hobaugh and Benton.

Baker will also only be a Soph. How loaded is that class? Baker, Crandall, Seales, Mcbuckets, Avants, & Collins.

lets get Weber tommorrow. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, nodakhoops said:

The last 6-7 games this team has been playing good defense and sharing the ball better than any UND team I can remember the last  10 years. Next 3 games are huge.

I think to often we look ahead at things and this team can do damage this year, but next year this team could be super special with the addition of Wheeler Baker. Baker is a all conference caliber difference maker and we return everyone minus Hobaugh and Benton.

Baker will also only be a Soph. How loaded is that class? Baker, Crandall, Seales, Mcbuckets, Avants, & Collins.

lets get Weber tommorrow. 

This is just absurd. So much young talent on this team. I'd really like to see a little more out of Seales, but it'll come. Biggest surprise to me (not that I'm a great basketball mind at all) is McBuckets. Last night was ridiculous, but he has been getting better and better all season. Excited to see him nailing the Big 3s for the next few years.

Great game last night.  I liked how even when up 20ish the effort was still there defensively.   ISU may have the weakest post game in the league.  Weber, possibly the best.   As always against Weber, a big game.  Hoping for a very cordial, affable, congenial Brian Jones in the handshake line tomorrow night. 

I've never been a big Brian Jones fan, but I have to give credit where credit is due. He has done a nice job of putting a quality team on the floor this year. Good young players, actually playing defense, putting some convincing wins on their record. Lots to be excited about here.

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

This is just absurd. So much young talent on this team. I'd really like to see a little more out of Seales, but it'll come. Biggest surprise to me (not that I'm a great basketball mind at all) is McBuckets. Last night was ridiculous, but he has been getting better and better all season. Excited to see him nailing the Big 3s for the next few years.

At the point last night when we started to open the lead that we had Crandall (FR), Hooker (Jr.), Seales (True Fr.), McBuckets (True Fr) and Bernstine (So.) in the game.  I was very impressed.  Than I thought we have Avants (True Fr.), Shanks (So)., Baldwin (Jr.), and Collins (True Fr.) off the bench.  Not to mention Cashman who is a capable big man if he can get grades in order.

Was listening to Tim and Swig this morning and they were talking about the team and how they're the 7th youngest in the nation. Pretty ridiculous. I have never been much of a Jones supporter but I'm thinking barring anything drastic he will be coaching this team still the next couple of years. Now we need to just finally beat Weber. 

5 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I keep thinking if he only red shirted his first year, we would have him with this young group 2 more years.  Actually that's what should have been done cause his contribution was minimal at only 4pts/game in like 20 minutes of action.  Those 4pts/game could have easily been made up by Webb, Anderson or Schuler in 20 minutes.  What could have been........

Kids (and their parents) don't like to redshirt but the reality is you are trading a year of freshman jitters for a year being a senior stud. It has been mentioned but worth repeating that along with all the young talent playing this year there is lots of talent sitting in a street clothes at the end of the bench also. If we could just tame down Jone's bench activity....

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, sioux2013 said:

I keep thinking if he only red shirted his first year, we would have him with this young group 2 more years.  Actually that's what should have been done cause his contribution was minimal at only 4pts/game in like 20 minutes of action.  Those 4pts/game could have easily been made up by Webb, Anderson or Schuler in 20 minutes.  What could have been........

My thoughts also. Quality player/person!

52 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Kids (and their parents) don't like to redshirt but the reality is you are trading a year of freshman jitters for a year being a senior stud. It has been mentioned but worth repeating that along with all the young talent playing this year there is lots of talent sitting in a street clothes at the end of the bench also. If we could just tame down Jone's bench activity....

I've heard the argument and it has *some* merit, but he still would have had those "freshman jitters" to an extent his first year of playing. I think he got a lot of valuable experience that first year and probably learned a lot about the right and wrong way to be a leader. I also don't think he would have been near as good of a player last year if he had redshirted the 2013-2014 season. All that being said, I wish he had 5 more years of eligibility left, he's fun to watch.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I've heard the argument and it has *some* merit, but he still would have had those "freshman jitters" to an extent his first year of playing. I think he got a lot of valuable experience that first year and probably learned a lot about the right and wrong way to be a leader. I also don't think he would have been near as good of a player last year if he had redshirted the 2013-2014 season. All that being said, I wish he had 5 more years of eligibility left, he's fun to watch.

If he learned anything its that selfish basketball does not get it even if you have all the talent.  His freshmen year they were loaded with talent and struggled due to selfish play and lack of defense/descipline while this years team plays unselfish basketball and tough defense and he leads by example.  Great chemistry and team basketball goes a very very long way and from what I've seen its only going to get better from these young players.

15 minutes ago, sioux2013 said:

If he learned anything its that selfish basketball does not get it even if you have all the talent.  His freshmen year they were loaded with talent and struggled due to selfish play and lack of defense/descipline while this years team plays unselfish basketball and tough defense and he leads by example.  Great chemistry and team basketball goes a very very long way and from what I've seen its only going to get better from these young players.

I agree +1000