SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 North Dakota HS Hockey

GoalieMask

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is a false choice to begin with. There is no reason why this can't be coordinated ahead of time by all the relevant stakeholders. And that has to take place several years in advance.

But it was coordinated, someone is just pissy they have to get up earlier. Don't hear this outage when football is played in the early morning at the fargodome. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ksixpack said:

Ice is ice...why the mystic with practicing on that ice?  They have praciticed there 100 times by now.  FYI, most NHL teams do not practice on the NHL rink, they have a different practice facility because the NHL rink has other events on a consistent basis.  Hak's Flyers rarely practice on the NHL rink in Philly.

Size of rink makes a huge difference. The main arena at REA is 200x85. The Olympic arena is 200x100. That 15 feet changes all of the angles for passing, breakouts, etc. Again, that is why the Olympic arena was added to the facility, so the teams could prepare to play on the same size rink. NHL teams practice on the same size rink as they are going to play on. That is why your argument means nothing in this case.

4 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

Ralph would be in my corner on this one...sorry...

The people running REA, who have a much better idea than you about what Ralph wanted, are the ones making the schedule. So my guess is that you are clueless and that Ralph would not be in your corner.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

But it was coordinated, someone is just pissy they have to get up earlier. Don't hear this outage when football is played in the early morning at the fargodome. 

Agree with you on the start time complaints. How about Fargo and Grand Forks rotate the boys and girls hockey tournaments each year? That way, we don't have two hockey tournaments to accommodate in one city. That might make the whole thing work.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Size of rink makes a huge difference. The main arena at REA is 200x85. The Olympic arena is 200x100. That 15 feet changes all of the angles for passing, breakouts, etc. Again, that is why the Olympic arena was added to the facility, so the teams could prepare to play on the same size rink. NHL teams practice on the same size rink as they are going to play on. That is why your argument means nothing in this case.

LOL..oh ya really changes those passing angles...probably should put that puck on the tape no matter the angle...let me guess, you never played hockey?  

And to further pile on this comment of yours then why o why does NDSU and UND practice at a different facility then the Fargo Dome and the Alerus?  Heavens, it must be a nightmare to practice outside and then have to go inside to play a game...I don't know how they do it?

Long story short and my final comment on this.  For the first 50+ years of this high school tournament there was never a change of scheduling for a practice.  The mens team always scheduled their practices around the tournament and if they were in town during the tournament, the men played Sat/Sunday around the tournament.  No questions asked, it was just how it was done. This is fact.  So why are things so different today?  I think I know the answer.

• Upvote 1

Hockey will be in Fargo next year and then in Grand Forks the following year.....after that it is currently up in the air.

The NDHSAA is looking at permanent homes for several events if it makes sense money wise. For example, Football and Wrestling will be in Fargo through 2022-23.

27 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

LOL..oh ya really changes those passing angles...probably should put that puck on the tape no matter the angle...let me guess, you never played hockey?  

And to further pile on this comment of yours then why o why does NDSU and UND practice at a different facility then the Fargo Dome and the Alerus?  Heavens, it must be a nightmare to practice outside and then have to go inside to play a game...I don't know how they do it?

Long story short and my final comment on this.  For the first 50+ years of this high school tournament there was never a change of scheduling for a practice.  The mens team always scheduled their practices around the tournament and if they were in town during the tournament, the men played Sat/Sunday around the tournament.  No questions asked, it was just how it was done. This is fact.  So why are things so different today?  I think I know the answer.

I'm curious to hear the answer. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ksixpack said:

Ice is ice...why the mystic with practicing on that ice?  They have praciticed there 100 times by now.  FYI, most NHL teams do not practice on the NHL rink, they have a different practice facility because the NHL rink has other events on a consistent basis.  Hak's Flyers rarely practice on the NHL rink in Philly.

Most NHL teams, like The flyers, that have their own separate practice facility. Share the building they play in with a NBA team.

1 hour ago, ksixpack said:

Then UND didn't really need the Olympic sized rink if it doesn't make any difference. That was basically a waste of money. Coaches have lied for years about different sized rinks being different to play on. That's what you're claiming. Maybe you haven't noticed, not all passes can be tape to tape, sometimes there are other players in the way. Sometimes you need to use the boards. They might play differently if they are 15 feet further away. But you seem to think you're more of an expert than coaches from the NHL, college, the Olympics, etc.

Again, comparing football where the game is always played on the same sized field to hockey where the rink sizes are different seems to make sense to you. Plus, most of the time NDSU and UND practice in the Fargo Dome and the Alerus the day before a game. They do that to get used to that specific playing surface. Maybe you didn't know that. Maybe you didn't notice, UND just built an indoor practice facility for times they want to practice inside to prepare for playing indoors or when the weather doesn't cooperate outside. Or why do all football teams travel to away games a day early? Oh yeah, to practice on the field where they are going to play the game. Kind of like how St Cloud is going to practice on the rink at REA on Thursday, the day before they start a conference tournament.

There have been plenty of changes in tournament schedules over the years. This isn't the first time. Just because you make a claim doesn't make it a fact. But nice try.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, ksixpack said:

The Wild announcers were just stating last week that Mike Reilly said it was tough for him going from the Olympic sized rink at Mariucci to the NHL surface because gap control is a lot different.  To suggest a different rink size wouldn't make a difference is not realistic, and the reason for the Olympic rink itself pretty much proves that point.  

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

The Wild announcers were just stating last week that Mike Reilly said it was tough for him going from the Olympic sized rink at Mariucci to the NHL surface because gap control is a lot different.  To suggest a different rink size wouldn't make a difference is not realistic, and the reason for the Olympic rink itself pretty much proves that point.  

We are talking about playing an entire college career in an olympic arena to practicing once before a game.  I don't think the Huskies are going to be working on gap control the day before the game.  It will be a practice to get loose and get the travel legs going again.  Good grief.  Bottom line is are we really going to jeopardize an event like the state hockey tournament returning to GF so a freeking womens hockey team that nobody gives a sh*t about can practice on the main rink?  Come on people!  $$$ for the community and a tradition that many in our town love cannot be held hostage for a womens hockey practice.

2 hours ago, ksixpack said:

Both UND and NDSU football almost exclusively practice on the kind of field (grass/turf) and either indoor or outdoor, as close to game conditions as much as they can during the week. As for hockey, if it doesn't matter, I'm confused why the men's team exclusively practices in the Olympic arena before heading to CC or St. Cloud.

The UND men's team works with the NCHC to make sure they are out of town for state hockey when it's going to be held in Grand Forks. As for playing Saturday/Sunday, what is the answer for a potential game 3?

I seem to remember the exact opposite reaction in 2011 about how ridiculous it was when the women's team played their playoff series at the Purpur. The REA was built to serve the student athletes of UND first and everything else second. Feel free to ask the GM or staff where the priorities are and where they received that directive from. 

The 10am complaint is pretty weak when you look at any of the other NDHS sports. Volleyball had consolation games starting at 10am, Class A has a consolation game that started at 9:30, Football had a game start at 9:10am. Early morning games aren't something new and they aren't limited to hockey. Sounds like a lot of pointless whining.

1 minute ago, ksixpack said:

We are talking about playing an entire college career in an olympic arena to practicing once before a game.  I don't think the Huskies are going to be working on gap control the day before the game.  It will be a practice to get loose and get the travel legs going again.  Good grief.  Bottom line is are we really going to jeopardize an event like the state hockey tournament returning to GF so a freeking womens hockey team that nobody gives a sh*t about can practice on the main rink?  Come on people!  $$$ for the community and a tradition that many in our town love cannot be held hostage for a womens hockey practice.

You think having a 10am game (which almost all other NDHS sports do) is somehow jeopardizing the tournament being in Grand Forks. Wow. Please, pass your concerns on to Jody Hodgson, who is almost definitely the one who made the final call on this, and let us know what he says.

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Both UND and NDSU football almost exclusively practice on the kind of field (grass/turf) and either indoor or outdoor, as close to game conditions as much as they can during the week. As for hockey, if it doesn't matter, I'm confused why the men's team exclusively practices in the Olympic arena before heading to CC or St. Cloud.

The UND men's team works with the NCHC to make sure they are out of town for state hockey when it's going to be held in Grand Forks. As for playing Saturday/Sunday, what is the answer for a potential game 3?

I seem to remember the exact opposite reaction in 2011 about how ridiculous it was when the women's team played their playoff series at the Purpur. The REA was built to serve the student athletes of UND first and everything else second. Feel free to ask the GM or staff where the priorities are and where they received that directive from. 

The 10am complaint is pretty weak when you look at any of the other NDHS sports. Volleyball had consolation games starting at 10am, Class A has a consolation game that started at 9:30, Football had a game start at 9:10am. Early morning games aren't something new and they aren't limited to hockey. Sounds like a lot of pointless whining.

You think having a 10am game (which almost all other NDHS sports do) is somehow jeopardizing the tournament being in Grand Forks. Wow. Please, pass your concerns on to Jody Hodgson, who is almost definitely the one who made the final call on this, and let us know what he says.

I think it reaches beyond that...the entire boys and girls tournament used to be played in both the Main rink and Olympic.  The Sioux women would play their playoff at Purpur.  Now all of the girls tournament except for championship game is at Purper and all consolation and 3rd place boys game is also at Purper.  The Sioux women are practicing and playing on Main rink now during state tournament.  

Look to Duluth for where this may be heading...don't be surprised if womens team starts alternating coveted late afternoon practices on the main ice with the mens team and plays some prime time night games while men will be forced to play some afternoon games.  For all you out of town hockey only junkies on this thread that could care less about the high school hockey tournament. maybe this will wake you up a little?

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

Hockey will be in Fargo next year and then in Grand Forks the following year.....after that it is currently up in the air.

The NDHSAA is looking at permanent homes for several events if it makes sense money wise. For example, Football and Wrestling will be in Fargo through 2022-23.

Minot is in the process of building a new arena attached to their MAYSA rinks that will seat 2500 fans. I'm sure they will be looking to get it down the road. 

17 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

I think it reaches beyond that...the entire boys and girls tournament used to be played in both the Main rink and Olympic.  The Sioux women would play their playoff at Purpur.  Now all of the girls tournament except for championship game is at Purper and all consolation and 3rd place boys game is also at Purper.  The Sioux women are practicing and playing on Main rink now during state tournament.  

Look to Duluth for where this may be heading...don't be surprised if womens team starts alternating coveted late afternoon practices on the main ice with the mens team and plays some prime time night games while men will be forced to play some afternoon games.  For all you out of town hockey only junkies on this thread that could care less about the high school hockey tournament. maybe this will wake you up a little?

Its like they didn't want to the play the state hockey games on different size rinks or something. Again, the 10am time is no different than any other sport, it was approved by the NDHSAA and is only an issue to those who don't want to get up a little earlier in the morning.

I guess I'm not following you on the Duluth comparison, however I their schedule doesn't show a single home game in the last 3 years that the men have played an afternoon game. I put the chance that it would happen in Grand Forks (strictly because of women's hockey) right around 0%.

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Its like they didn't want to the play the state hockey games on different size rinks or something. Again, the 10am time is no different than any other sport, it was approved by the NDHSAA and is only an issue to those who don't want to get up a little earlier in the morning.

I guess I'm not following you on the Duluth comparison, however I their schedule doesn't show a single home game in the last 3 years that the men have played an afternoon game. I put the chance that it would happen in Grand Forks (strictly because of women's hockey) right around 0%.

The girls would love to play on the Olympic...it gave them a lot of exposer as fans would wonder over between boys games to catch some hockey and it was a great atmosphere as the place would be packed.  

Your right, 10am is no different then many sports but it is different for this sport which hasn't done it for 50+ years of the tournament...you missing the point...it's not that they are, it is why they are.  The Duluth men played a playoff game in the afternoon while the women played at night a couple years ago. 

Surely you have heard of the lawsuit going on now between the former womens coach at Duluth and the University?