SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 North Dakota HS Hockey

GoalieMask

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It is simply too big for this tournament. Add to that the lost revenue from the suite-holders getting in for free and the high rent and this is a no-brainer decision.

And the only reason Scheels Arena is hosting the West Regional is because of the NCAA's asinine "neutral site" policy with regard to regional tournaments. If not for that, it would be at REA, where it would almost definitely sell out like it did in 2006.

Your first paragraph is the perfect argument one could present to the NDHSAA as to why the hockey tournament makes sense being at the Scheels Arena. Nice job! :wink:

As far as paragraph 2......not disagreeing on the NCAA garbage but the West Regional last year at Scheels was electric and run extremely well. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Your first paragraph is the perfect argument one could present to the NDHSAA as to why the hockey tournament makes sense being at the Scheels Arena. Nice job! :wink:

You could probably make an argument to have all major tournaments in Fargo too, but that doesn't make it a good idea. And I believe that is the end game here. Look out Bismarck and Minot, they are coming for you next.

Moving the tournament to Purpur is not as radical as some people on here make it sound. And I don't apologize for advocating for Grand Forks. This is my home and the home of UND and that means what is good for Grand Forks is good for UND.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You could probably make an argument to have all major tournaments in Fargo too, but that doesn't make it a good idea. And I believe that is the end game here. Look out Bismarck and Minot, they are coming for you next.

Moving the tournament to Purpur is not as radical as some people on here make it sound. And I don't apologize for advocating for Grand Forks. This is my home and the home of UND and that means what is good for Grand Forks is good for UND.

If Purpur is able to hold it then the new rink in Minot will too. Expect the folks from there to try and get it also down the road.

51 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Hey, I have zero problem rotating it from city to city. What I have a problem with is Fargo getting it forever.

I don't see that happening but something in GF has to change for the tournament to be sustainable there on even a part time basis or rotational basis.  Again it comes down to dollars.....if the Scheels Arena/Fargo can generate $30-40K more in revenue for the NDHSAA compared to having it at any venue in GF they keep it in Fargo...not saying that is right, fair or that I agree with it.

There is a reason the state track meet will never leave Bismarck and the Class B boys tournament should be there permanently too.  

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I don't see that happening but something in GF has to change for the tournament to be sustainable there on even a part time basis or rotational basis.  Again it comes down to dollars.....if the Scheels Arena/Fargo can generate $30-40K more in revenue for the NDHSAA compared to having it at any venue in GF they keep it in Fargo...not saying that is right, fair or that I agree with it.

And I have laid out an alternative that would accomplish exactly what you are saying. And you pooh-poohed it because it isn't REA. Well, the world doesn't revolve around REA and this is one of those times.

29 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And I have laid out an alternative that would accomplish exactly what you are saying. And you pooh-poohed it because it isn't REA. Well, the world doesn't revolve around REA and this is one of those times.

Never pooh poohed your alternative plan but if the Ralph, one of the primer hockey arenas in the nation, isn't a viable option in GF the Scheels Arena is a much better option for players and fans than Purpur regardless of what city those arenas are in...then factor in profitability.  The NDHSAA is like any other organization...money matters.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Same reason why Valley City, St. Marys, Shanley, Beulah, Wahpeton, and so forth were "too small" to compete with the AAA schools in football.  So they move down and manhandle every AA team.  Gee, that's fair to those teams that are legitimately small towns.  

All about winning by having every advantage possible.  Upsets be damned.   

Now the bottom AA teams should say they are too small to compete with VC and Shanley and then go beat the hell out of A teams.  And trickle it on down...

Beulah was never in AAA football. Beulah has won one football state championship at the AA level. We made the championship game one or two other times. My senior year in 2009 was the first time we beat Trinity since the early 90's. There are no poor AA schools because of Beulah remaining at the level they have been at since the current class system was set up. Of the 16 AA teams, 11 have higher enrollments and 2 more (Trinity and Shanley) are in Class A towns and I have no idea who Central Dakota is. So they may be bigger for all I know. The only public school Beulah is bigger than is Lisbon. Beulah has 30 more students than 9-man Thompson. I'm not saying Beulah should move down but to act like us being in AA is crazy means you don't know what you are talking about.

At Beulah's peak high school enrollment we averaged a little over 100 students per class. So 400 students in high school. Definitely a Class A school. When I was a senior my class had about 80 students. The class ahead of us was around 60 and the class behind around 50. The high school enrollment is around 200 at this time. Bismarck has twice as many students in a class as we have in our entire high school. The next smallest school in Class A has 120 more students than we do. Beulah is to Bismarck High is like Scranton compared to Beulah. But I don't think there is any school around the size of Scranton that does not co-op. 

If you bumped Beulah up then people would bitch and moan about Hazen and their 20 fewer high school students or Killdeer and their 15 fewer. No one complains about Kindred or Stanley and their 300 students. Peopled complained about us going back to class B when I was in high school until they realized we sucked at everything. The only remote success we had was in sports where we co-oped with Hazen. We took 2nd in state wrestling once and had 5 or 6 straight years of going to state hockey. Our basketball team might have taken 8th at state once. There will always be the school that people complain about being too big for B.

20 hours ago, nhockey30 said:

The 14U team in Bismarck, with 19 players on it, is comprised of only 8th and 9th graders. Anyone else younger is on a 12U team. I believe the problem in Bismarck from what I've heard is that the growth there has mostly been north, making one team have a much larger number base than the other (South). They didn't want to entertain drafting teams each year and wanted to keep it boundary driven. That causes a problem when you may have 26 girls up north and only 8 or 9 down south. They deemed that NOT SUSTAINABLE because you can't field a team with 8 girls. Total overall numbers, it sounds like they have enough. If they were interested in 2 teams they would've been creative and tried to make co-op teams or something. I honestly believe that the only way Bismarck will have 2 teams is if we in other communities force it somehow.

This right here. What is the breakdown between schools in Bismarck and the girls participating? Is it different every year? Would one season result in Bismarck High having their own team while Century, Legacy, and St. Mary coop and then the next season Century has their own team and the other 3 coop?

Is the participation pretty steady between which schools are providing the players and two teams can be set up based on that? Or do you suggest having all the girls drafted onto two separate teams and the makeup of those teams change every year? Then some girls may never get to play with their classmates.

They may have the pure numbers for two teams but it isn't that simple IMO. If they aren't able to make the teams based on the schools then how can you guarantee they won't just stack one team every year anyways and the other team is more or less the JV team?

• 1 month later...