SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

This is your opinion and in no way a fact of any kind.  And I respect that.

Myself and many others have respectfully tried to tell you that you dont know that for sure.  Provide a source for that and I will stand corrected.

Truth is, you could inevitably be right with your guess as to what will or will not happen.  There's also a possibility you are wrong and that it is offered to UND to get them into the B1G Hockey Conference.

Again, as myself and others have stated, if there's nothing to gain financially or otherwise, then by all means stay in the NCHC.

The only thing I've ever seen on the subject is from this guy, who blogs about the B1G. https://frankthetank.me/2013/06/03/b1g-east-coast-expansion-big-ten-adds-johns-hopkins-lacrosse-and-the-pinstripe-bowl/

He doesn't provide any direct link to his information that Hopkins did not receive money, but his version makes sense in light of the fact that Hopkins wanted to continue with its ESPN contract.

This, by the way, is very similar to the affiliate deal with Notre Dame hockey who also wanted to continue with their own television deal with NBC.

Next, the B1G doesn't seem to be in the habit of just throwing Big Ten Network revenue around.  Even Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland don't yet receive profits, and they are full-fledged B1G members.  http://www.jconline.com/story/mike-carmin/2015/07/16/btn-profits-increase-big-ten-revenue/30226149/

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  UND to the B1G is an idea that only a fan would dream up.  University presidents and ADs, no chance. 

29 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Maybe it's more on the line that the B1G doesn't want ASU?

Ya, the B10 already said it doesn't want ASU. My question (along with others) is, where does this leave ASU? The NCHC is still an option but ASU needs to fix their darn arena problem. A 1000 seat arena will not hold all the traveling UND fans! 

3 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

The only thing I've ever seen on the subject is from this guy, who blogs about the B1G. https://frankthetank.me/2013/06/03/b1g-east-coast-expansion-big-ten-adds-johns-hopkins-lacrosse-and-the-pinstripe-bowl/

He doesn't provide any direct link to his information that Hopkins did not receive money, but his version makes sense in light of the fact that Hopkins wanted to continue with its ESPN contract.

This, by the way, is very similar to the affiliate deal with Notre Dame hockey who also wanted to continue with their own television deal with NBC.

Next, the B1G doesn't seem to be in the habit of just throwing Big Ten Network revenue around.  Even Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland don't yet receive profits, and they are full-fledged B1G members.  http://www.jconline.com/story/mike-carmin/2015/07/16/btn-profits-increase-big-ten-revenue/30226149/

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  UND to the B1G is an idea that only a fan would dream up.  University presidents and ADs, no chance. 

Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland receive a fraction of the B10 revenue but will not receive a full percentage until after 6 years (which is like 2020 or somewhere close to that).

On 5/3/2016 at 2:52 PM, OshieRoll said:

The reason we played more non Fri/Sat games than Wisconsin this year is because the only series we had at a B1G school this year was a Fri/Sun series against Mich St. when their football team was playing Penn State at home during the same weekend.  This is kind of a big detail to leave out in my opinion.

I didn't leave it out. It was one of the 11 games I counted. UND just happened to play one series at a Big 10 school and it was on a Sunday this year. Wisconsin played 14 series at a Big 10 school and not once played on a Sunday. The reason I pointed out that we played more Sunday games than Wisconsin was to highlight the fact that the Big 10 rarely plays on days besides Friday and Saturday. And when they do it is usually an out of conference game and its usually because of a home college football game.  College football is over around Thanksgiving. Not many conference hockey games are played before Thanksgiving. So that means that the games affected by Big 10 football games are more often out of conference games than not and if we were in the Big 10, we would rarely if ever be affected by it. 

I don't think we will ever be in the Big 10 and I'm unsure whether I would want us to be. There are plenty of reasons to not want the hockey team to join the Big 10 if invited, but playing on weird days just isn't one of them. It rarely happens. Saying it does occur, contrary to evidence, over and over again does not make it true. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I didn't leave it out. It was one of the 11 games I counted. UND just happened to play one series at a Big 10 school and it was on a Sunday this year. Wisconsin played 14 series at a Big 10 school and not once played on a Sunday. The reason I pointed out that we played more Sunday games than Wisconsin was to highlight the fact that the Big 10 rarely plays on days besides Friday and Saturday. And when they do it is usually an out of conference game and its usually because of a home college football game.  College football is over around Thanksgiving. Not many conference hockey games are played before Thanksgiving. So that means that the games affected by Big 10 football games are more often out of conference games than not and if we were in the Big 10, we would rarely if ever be affected by it. 

I don't think we will ever be in the Big 10 and I'm unsure whether I would want us to be. There are plenty of reasons to not want the hockey team to join the Big 10 if invited, but playing on weird days just isn't one of them. It rarely happens. Saying it does occur, contrary to evidence, over and over again does not make it true. 

How many afternoon games has Wisconsin played vs night games? That would be more interesting to me to know instead of just comparing non Friday and Saturday games.

12 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

How many afternoon games has Wisconsin played vs night games? That would be more interesting to me to know instead of just comparing non Friday and Saturday games.

This past season they had 2. One at Michigan State in December. One looks like an exhibition game against Trinity Western on New Year's Day. They also had a few games played in the Eastern Time Zone that started at 5 or 5:30 Central Time.

There were 18 Big 10 games that started prior to 5 Central Time throughout the entire season. I did not include exhibition games or tournament games. Wisconsin played 1 at Michigan State. Minnesota played 2, one at Penn State and one in Minneapolis against Penn State. Actually 9 of them involved Penn State with 8 of them at Penn State. Ohio State hosted 3 afternoon games. Michigan State hosted 5 of them.

So if we were in the Big 10 it would be probable that we play an afternoon game at Penn State each year and possible at Michigan State or Ohio State. It would be very unlikely for us to have an afternoon game against Wisconsin and although next year against Minnesota will possibly be a Sunday game, it would also be unlikely to play an afternoon game against Minnesota. 

If we somehow ended up in the Big 10, we would rarely/never play on a non Friday/Saturday and we would rarely not play a evening game. I can't predict the future, but I would say it would be very very unlikely that any of our home games would be affected. So basically our schedule would be no different than any other year other than who is on the schedule.

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:29 AM, SJHovey said:

Well, some sports writers have also mentioned UND as a potential hockey prospect to be asked to join the B1G in some manner. UND has a great hockey program and therefore it is being noticed by the hockey world.  Of course for this actually happening may be slim and sure is fun posting about in the off season. By the way there was a great turnout for the UND/SU baseball game yesterday and the weather was perfect. GF Herald estimated crowd at 1,000.

Interesting post on a gopherhole.com message board.

Two goofs posting on a hockey tread named "Should the B1G add North Dakota?"

A poster posts:

That, my friend, is impossible. If we could only add one more team to the B1G it would be unanimous... UND FIGHTING HAWKS.

Next poster posts:

Every time I read "Fighting Hawks", I throw up a little. The Fighting Sioux would be an excellent addition to the B1G! As for UND losing it's prowess in Hockey because of the rise of the B1G, Alchemy, you need to check where most of their recruits come from. B1G schools will never recruit Moose Jaw like UND does! They also own the Northwest corner of Minnesota.

12 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Interesting post on a gopherhole.com message board.

Two goofs posting on a hockey tread named "Should the B1G add North Dakota?"

A poster posts:

That, my friend, is impossible. If we could only add one more team to the B1G it would be unanimous... UND FIGHTING HAWKS.

Next poster posts:

Every time I read "Fighting Hawks", I throw up a little. The Fighting Sioux would be an excellent addition to the B1G! As for UND losing it's prowess in Hockey because of the rise of the B1G, Alchemy, you need to check where most of their recruits come from. B1G schools will never recruit Moose Jaw like UND does! They also own the Northwest corner of Minnesota.

They haven't owned the State of Minnesota, let alone the SW corner of Minnesota in a long time. The UofM is just not the program it once was. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 10:21 AM, siouxkid12 said:

They haven't owned the State of Minnesota, let alone the SW corner of Minnesota in a long time. The UofM is just not the program it once was. 

Agree, I just taught the 2nd poster's comment about "Fighting Hawks" was kind of interesting? Then went on to call us "Fighting Sioux".

8 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Are the Goofs going to when their 6th conference championship in a row next year, or is there someone capable of knocking them off? Sounds like Mich lost a lot and Notre Dame not in yet.

I would think they will be a heavy favorite to win the B1G regular season title again this year.  I don't think Minnesota is going to be that bad next year.  Their goaltending is fine.  Between guys like Novak, Kloos, Bristedt and Sheehy, they can probably put together two decent scoring lines.  Have some upperclassmen.  Big question will again be their defensemen and the willingness of their third and fourth lines to play with a lot of energy and not just serve as pylons for the other team

12 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I am sure the Goofer faithful would much rather hang gold banners at the Mooch than maroon ones.  How excited are the fans really going to be when they raise that B1G banner to the rafters next year?  Sure they won a conference title.  But it will be a constant reminder of a season where they missed the NCAA's and their neighbors to the west won the whole thing!!

It's a reminder that they are the 5th best team in Minnesota.

• Upvote 3

Just a thought...

The B1G is always looking to expand into newer, larger markets.  That was the sole reason for adding Maryland (Baltimore and DC) and Rutgers (NJ and even NY).  What if the B1G's next move is to add a team like Boston College?  This move wouldn't be made because of anything to do with hockey, but purely to expand their footprint into the Boston area and gain an even larger coverage for BTN by adding all BC sports.  This would automatically put BC in the B1G Hockey Conference.  BC was one of the big (no pun intended) reasons that Notre Dame went to Hockey East at all from what I understand, since they are rivals, and this would add a lot to that rivalry as well.  BC hockey fans would hate that move, but the university may look at the big picture and decide it's a good move.  This move could coincide with a farther south East coast school as well.

1 hour ago, Big A HG said:

Just a thought...

The B1G is always looking to expand into newer, larger markets.  That was the sole reason for adding Maryland (Baltimore and DC) and Rutgers (NJ and even NY).  What if the B1G's next move is to add a team like Boston College?  This move wouldn't be made because of anything to do with hockey, but purely to expand their footprint into the Boston area and gain an even larger coverage for BTN by adding all BC sports.  This would automatically put BC in the B1G Hockey Conference.  BC was one of the big (no pun intended) reasons that Notre Dame went to Hockey East at all from what I understand, since they are rivals, and this would add a lot to that rivalry as well.  BC hockey fans would hate that move, but the university may look at the big picture and decide it's a good move.  This move could coincide with a farther south East coast school as well.

https://www.aau.edu/about/default.aspx?id=16710

not on this list...not getting in. (unless your lucky enough to be nebraska)

North Dakota has NO chance for B1G membership. The B1G only takes elite academic & research institutions with large annual research endowments. Considering the 14 full B1G members, its 2 associate members, and only former member:
11 of 13 public schools are “Public Ivies” (Miami Redhawks & Connectcut Huskies)
4 of 4 private schools are “Hidden Ivies” (Colgate Raiders & Boston College Eagles)
15 of 17 are members of the Association of American Universities [AAU] (Boston University Terriers)
17 of 17 are members of the Universities Research Association [URA] (Boston University Terriers, Northeastern University Huskies, & Arizona State University Sun Devils)
Ivy League Schools are not included as they would only leave ECAC Hockey to start Ivy League Hockey.
Only possible exceptions:
Army Black Knights & Air Force Falcons as elite Service Academy schools
Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs & Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks only if allowed to “Borrow” their flagship institutions credentials
I see no other current D1 hockey schools having ANY chance of getting a B1G hockey invite, Arizona State has already been eliminated, and Boston College would laugh in the B1G’s face if invited.

My most likely possible 8th B1G hockey teams:

1. A current B1G school. The Nebraska Cornhuskers are the only current B1G school which could realistically be ready to join the B1G hockey with Notre Dame, even with a Pegula sized wad of cash dropped on their doorstep tomorrow. Nebraska already has the new John Breslow Ice Hockey Center to practice in, the new Pinnacle Bank Arena for games, and they recently added NCAA women’s beach volleyball for Title IX compliance. The biggest obstacles for Nebraska hockey have already been conquered, and all they need is the green light to raise the funds for scholarships and upgraded equipment. School officials at Nebraska have given no indication they will give that green light any time soon, and the leap from a D3 club team to a D1 varsity team is a large one.

2. Another associate member. The Miami Redhawks are a “Public Ivy” in the current B1G geographic footprint with past hockey rivalries with 3 current B1G hockey schools and Notre Dame and significant annual research endowments.

3. Another non-B1G school makes the D1 hockey leap. This is tricky, because nobody knows which school will be next to win the large D1 hockey start-up donation lottery, but I’ll go with the Iowa State Cyclones. They are a large public land-grant university, members of both the AAU & URA, in the current B1G geographic footprint, natural rivals for both Minnesota & Wisconsin (Badly needed), have good annual research endowments (larger what Rutgers had and about what Maryland had when they joined the B1G), and a very successful D1 club hockey team (with a good women’s hockey club which could make the leap at the same time for “Title IX” compliance). They would probably need a new, and larger, arena, but could share with the Iowa Wild AHL team temporarily, and I’ve heard a couple of sources indicate the money needed would be available (from where they didn’t say) if a B1G hockey invite (or Big 12 hockey) was guaranteed.

4. A new full B1G member. Adding the Boston University Terriers as the new 15th full member of the B1G. Boston U is a large research intensive private (A private university companion for Northwestern) university with memberships in both the AAU & URA with annual research endowments which would rank about 11th out of the 15 schools. They don’t have men’s football, wrestling, golf, or women’s volleyball teams, where all of the current 14 schools have teams, but do have teams in almost a dozen and a half sports where at least one current B1G school is missing a team. Two of the few sports where they would be the 15th team are men’s & women’s basketball to better match the ACC in the B1G/ACC Challenge at 15 a piece, besides a new full member would need at least one “money” sport (their basketball team can’t be much worse than Rutgers!). Add the Syracuse Orange as a new associate member for the needed 6th women’s hockey (and possibly Buffalo Bulls women’s rowing and/or Stony Brook men’s tennis) in New York and Massachusetts becomes contiguous to the B1G geographic footprint. As an added bonus MIT women’s rowing likely would follow BU from the Patriot League into the B1G. The B1G adds Massachusetts (including the top 10 Boston TV market), starts B1G women’s hockey, and gets a physical presence in the state of New York while paying Boston U about 40% of what other full members get (a full member share minus football-only revenue), which is still likely to be significantly higher than anything they could expect from the Patriot League. Boston U would get a higher profile and more respect locally, nationally, and even internationally. It would instantly be significantly easier for BU to recruit students, athletes, faculty, administrators, research endowment, and donations. Without the B1G, BU has no chance to move to a better athletic conference than the Patriot League, and the only other D1 conference near the B1G’s academic & research status is the Ivy League itself. My guess is it would take less than a day for Boston U to “officially” accept a B1G invite, including signed documents and agreeing to jump through any hoops the B1G requires (likely upgrading men’s baseball & women’s gymnastics club teams to varsity status). Very likely Boston U hockey would hate the move, but have it forced upon them.